“Unexpectedly eclectic.”
Review of Drummond Gardens

Drummond Gardens
Ranked #2 of 22 things to do in Crieff
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have passed the gates for Drummond Gardens many times and in doing so have missed a gem. I am not sure what I expected, little I think beyond box topiary and yet this garden has a vast amount of interest. The tree lined drive is perhaps the best I have seen and was good when it afforded glimpses of the lake. The car parking facilities were good with shade for my car on a very sunny day and plenty of spotlessly clean toilets. At the gate house I was given a warm, helpful and informative welcome. Going through the arch way, I spent some time just looking down on the gardens from the terrace. There are many points around the garden are good simply to stand and look around. The layout of the gardens was predominately formal, but small informal features gave huge variety. It was a very hot day and the highlight for me was the range of beautiful scents especially from the white roses and the lavender. The scent of the sweet peas and the giant raspberries in the kitchen garden both reminded me of my childhood on a farm. There were a lot of visitors on the day we went and yet the garden had a sense of peace and tranquility. I spent a happy couple of hours. It is a place to relax, unwind and be mesmerised. I think it is the best £5 I have spent in a long time and will now visit often. I gave it a very good rather than excellent simply because it lacked somewhere to have a cup of tea which would have been most welcome.

1  Thank Micah68Scotland
There are newer reviews for Drummond Gardens

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The gardens are stunning. Many gardeners there to keep it that way. We took a packed lunch and sat overlooking the view which was just beautiful and peaceful, apart from the men trimming and mowing. The greenhouses are packed with all types of fruit and flowers. The only part that looked unkempt to us was the pond which would be a huge task I'd think.

The drive up to the castle from the road was so long that we wondered when we were going to get to the castle. It's one way as it's so narrow. Not much room for manoeuvre with trees along each side. What a place though, well worth it.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We visited the Drummond Castle in July 2014, the last day of our 10 day trip to Scotland. Spectacular gardens - like nothing you've ever seen!!

2  Thank Don_and_Alison2014
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Fabulous formal garden, probably one of the best in UK. We had a disabled person in our group: the lady in the ticket office explained how to drive down to the bottom of the garden to gain access. She also opened a small veranda to allow a view from the top (which is the best way to see the formal patterns) so we wouldn't have to wheel over the cobbles. There are disabled toilet facilities in the car park. There is a suggested route over the firmer grass paths for wheelchairs, but a pusher is needed.The castle's website made it clear there wasn't a tea room so we were prepared and had a snack in Crieff afterwards which is about 10mins drive at most.

1  Thank Kelvin P
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The gardens looked spectacular from the top but unfortunately we're very disappointing at ground level. There was an awful lot of weed in the flower beds and all the lawns needed edging. You are charging people to see the gardens so they should be better than they were. The kitchen garden was a disgrace, the strawberry was full of weed. I would like to know who is in charge as to my way of thinking he is not doing his job properly.

4  Thank Pat H