All reviews loch earn dog friendly hotel dog biscuits fine dining loch view rubber duck homemade shortbread main restaurant scallops local walks dining room public areas wine list first class short break beautiful location hotel is situated
Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Called in "on spec" as we were passing and needing a place to stay whilst waiting for our car to be repaired at a nearby garage. We were greeted with a very warm helpful welcome by Susan at reception who gave us a lovely room with a wonderful loch view. The food was lovely, we had 2 evening meals there and ended up staying 3 nights. All the staff were lovely, friendly and very helpful. Couldn't fault it and hope very much to return.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarolB1907
Susan S, Owner at The Four Seasons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and am so glad you enjoyed your stay. Will certainly pass on the feedback and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Best wishes. Susan

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Booked for our 40th anniversary.the hotel and staff could not have been more helpful. Our chalet was ideal as we have 2 dogs. We would love to go back again. The bar and restaurant served excellent food.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. Am so glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope that we will see you again soon. Best wishes, Susan

Reviewed 27 August 2018

The photos on the website are literally misleading. It looked so quaint and pretty! And for the price, we expected just that. From the parking lot you could see how run down it was, peeling paint, inside old carpets and furniture - everything smelled like wet dog. Then they showed us to our apartment: Vivaldi. We were led through a "court yard" -- a depressing passage where you could see empty beer cans in the window sills of the employee's quarters and all the eaves were infested (and I don't say that lightly) with swallow nests, so of course, down below was like a cake iced with swallow poop. Deep whiff of mildew, then visibly layered with dust, spider webs and dog dander. Decorated no later than 1988, I told the kids not to take off their shoes, ever. The next morning at breakfast, we found our reserved table in the dining hall which we had reluctantly organized the day before. The small parquet buffet area was so sticky that it made noise when you crossed it - it's like a war was fought right there - with rum punch. It pulled on your shoes. They graciously let us leave 2 days early. Shame on this place. They need bring it up to standard or make it a dog kennel once and for all.

Room Tip: There is no good room.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank famonthemove_123
Susan S, Owner at The Four Seasons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback and I am sorry that we did not live up to expectations.

The apartment sits outside our 3* AA rating and at £60/£80 for self catering is considered value for money by many. I'm sorry that you did not appreciate that the lounge had in fact recently been redecorated.
Equally, some would consider "old" as retro, vintage or indeed antique - it is all down to interpretation and values.

There are, as you stated, a number of birds nests in the area, all of which are protected. Many of our guests enjoy watching the swifts and martins.

There is also a flat at the bottom of the stairs and unfortunately I cannot dictate to people what they put on window sills in rooms or in the flats.

The "Dining Hall" as you put it is actually the " AA Rosette" Meall Reamhar Restaurant. A large restaurant, it has spectacular views across the loch. The spaciousness adds to the atmosphere there. Accidents do happen in buffet areas and unfortunately we cannot always put the remedial action fully into place during busy periods to deal with situations but rest assured, this was picked up on.

I hope that the above clarifies our position on some of the points raised. Kind regards, Susan

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

This was a last minute booking as we were going abroad but I was ill do we decided to have a staycation with our cairn terrier Peanut
Firstly I would like to say that I could not fault this holiday at all
I do believe that some people complained that some items were not available or service was slow but we found that there was always an alternative and found service prompt and with a smile and a dog biscuit and cuddle for the dog
The owner Susan was lovely friendly and organised
Her dog Finn.canine reservation manager greeted us with paws on the reception desk as if to ask how he could help
We got lovely informative letter on arrival as did Peanut the dog
Our requirements when traveling with peanut is that she can eat and sit at the bar with us
This was offered in the way of the Tarken Bar and the wee bar in the hotel
The former offered excellent food which was cooked to perfection and beautifully presented
Bones were offered at every meal
The staff we encountered were all great but special thanks to Nick and Liam who are wonderful ambassadors for the hotel
Liam is leaving soon to work nearer his home town
The restaurant he is going to we feel is lucky to have him
The accommodation itself is individual and quirky
I particularly liked the Narnia bathroom
The hotel is old but we found it spotless
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and we will return later in the year
Many thanks to Susan and her team

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Susan S, Owner at The Four Seasons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Karen, thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such prompt feedback, it is appreciated and I'm glad that you all enjoyed your stay. I look forward to seeing you next time. Best wishes, Susan

Reviewed 21 August 2018

Heavily overpriced for a poor room and poor service. Very poor value. Plumbing was unreliable. television didn’t work and no action was taken when this was pointed out. Internet unreliable. Breakfast service was poor and not everything available.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Susan S, Owner at The Four Seasons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback & I was sorry you did not feel that your stay was value for money. I can only say that we had guests stay in the same room both immediately prior and after yourselves and I received only positive comments about their stays. Having said that, the building is old and it does have its own quirks which includes bathrooms through wardrobes and over-ride switches for the electrics. The latter, I believe, may have been the issue with the TV.

The internet is a challenge when we are busy and indeed is some of the poorest in the country. Our MP is lobbying for improvements in that area however we do find that some network providers are better than others.

Having had a wedding on the Saturday we were very busy but there should not have been any issues over service, If you did experience delays in service, I am sorry about this and there certainly was no reason for anything to run out - I can only imagine that things may have been in the process of being replenished.

I trust that addresses any concerns you may have had.

Best wishes, Susan