“Avoid at all costs”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Renfrew
Scotland
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night including a week’s car parking whilst on holiday in Egypt. I had read quite a few bad reviews about this hotel concerning small rooms and poor fare in the restaurant, as well as complications regarding long delays with return shuttle transfers. However, against my better judgement I went ahead and booked the Hotel.
On arrival, check-in was adequate; the room was tiny but would suffice for one night. My girlfriend and I ate out at the nearby Braehead Centre. The following morning the shuttle to the Airport was trouble free and my worst fears were allayed.

Then the ‘Nightmare’ began!
On our return to Glasgow Airport I phoned the numbers provided to request the shuttle bus back to the hotel to collect our car. The first call went unanswered and went to voice-mail, where I left a message of our arrival. I then phoned the hotel and the receptionist replied that the bus was on its way. We stood in the cold and rain for 30 mins and our transfer never appeared. I phoned back the hotel and spoke with the same receptionist who informed me that they were very busy but assured me that our transfer bus would be with us very soon! It was a further 40 mins before our transport turned up. I complained to the driver who informed me that he was the only driver working that night and that he was covering 2 hotels. He showed me his mobile phone with over 30 unanswered calls and messages and said he was too busy to answer his phone.
On arrival at the hotel I was ‘not best pleased’ with being left in the cold & rain for over an hour and asked to speak to the manager. I pointed out to the manager (Julie Nicol) that my main concern was being left standing outside the airport for over an hour, whereas if I could have been giving a specified time on our pick-up or a return call to my mobile that the shuttle was imminent, we could have sat inside the airport with a coffee and kept warm. The manager then went on to blame the driver, then the receptionist (who scuttled away embarrassed), anybody but herself!!!
Excuse me, but does not the whole blame fall at the manager’s feet?
The manager then offered me her card and promised as a gesture of ‘goodwill’, that if I was to stay at the hotel again in the future she would offer a compensated rate.

Recently, I e-mailed the same manager to take up her offer as I was planning a 2 night trip to Glasgow. A week went by and no reply was received. I then e-mailed the sales team at the hotel two weeks ago and am still awaiting a response.
Does the Management of this Hotel care anything about ‘Customer Service’?
It seems evident they do not.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank santanaScotland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

The rooms allocated were not ones we booked, Travel cot placed just inside doorway as this only place it would fit. Fire H/S issue. Offered to move 1 set of us with cot - alternative room bigger but only 1 socket - placed behind bedside cabinet!! had to boil kettle, bottle warmer on floor!! Room shabby, bathroom door handle fell off. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Elaine L

Travellers are raving about these Renfrew hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I am a frequent visitor to the Normandy due to its handiness for glasgow airport. Generally always book through travel republic for the best rate. Restaurant steakhouse does a fine menu with good service and simple breakfast if required.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
PSPurewal, Front Office Manager at Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Guest

We thank you taking the time to review our Hotel.

All comments will be passed to all the Team.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon

Keswick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

We got what I think is a great deal on an overnight stay and a weeks parking for the car including 10 minute transfers each way. I think it was £96.00 for 4 People. (2 rooms) The rooms are small, if I'd swung a cat round it would have hit all 4 walls but to be honest it was perfectly adequate. The restaurant exceeded our expectations, nicely cooked and presented and reasonably priced. We would certainly stay in this hotel again if we fly from Glasgow airport.

Room Tip: Don't know really except that there is a function room on the front which may be a little noisy...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
PSPurewal, Front Office Manager at Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear guest

We thank you for your recent feed back in regards to your stay at the Normandy Hotel.

We will pass all comments on to all our management team.

scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

we stayed here on a package deal before flying out
on holiday the next day. with dinner--breakfast and
15 days parking included... good all round hotel for
a relaxing stay before going on holiday in sept 2013
and booked again for may this year

Room Tip: book early to avoid disapointment
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

We thank you for your feed back in regards to your recent stay.

We strive to deliver the best customer service to all our guests and we are delighted to have done so on this occassion.

Hamilton, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

We arrived on 12th September, 2013 at 6:15 p.m. Although we had pre booked and prepaid for our hotel room, we were told that there were no rooms available. We HAD booked a twin share room and paid for it 3 months earlier. After a while were given a room and on unlocking the door found it ALREADY OCCUPIED. Back to the lounge. We were then given a very small single room so back to the lounge. Staff suggested an extra bed but you would have had to have hung it from the ceiling to get it in. Waited and waited and waited. Offered a drink, I chose a cup of tea. At 8:30 p.m. finally got the twin share room we had arranged PLUS an extra fold up bed. Linen left a lot to be desired, in fact a hand towel looked like it had been used to polish shoes with. Even the sheets didn't feel clean. We decided that we would not take advantage of their dining room after the service we were given so went to a local supermarket to buy our tea and breakfast. Had just parked in the parking area when a tour bus pulled in on the left hand side not far from the main entrance. Just after we walked past the bus, there was a strange noise - it was the bus driver emptying the toilet in the parking area. Next morning a card was completed noting our disappointment, considering this was supposed to be a 3 star hotel. I took a towel with me when we checked out but the lady behind the desk showed no interest whatsoever. We stayed in 30 hotels during out trip around the UK and that was by far the worst.

Room Tip: Try to ensure that you are not above an area where functions are being held.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Attending my granddaughters 'hen night, at the age of 71, I first of all was very pleased with our room, it was an adequate size and I slept very comfortable. The meal at the Tribute Night could not be faulted. Compliments to chef. The service of the waiters and waitresses and rest of staff was excellent, each one very friend. The evening from beginning to end was great with the music catering for all ages. Buffet breakfast in the morning also couldn't be faulted. Very good choice and quality of items.Hoping to return very soon. Would certainly recommend it for all ages.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest

We thank you kindly for your recent feedback in regards to your stay at the hotel.

We strive to deliver the best to all our guests and we are delighted we have done so on thsi occassion.

Karin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Renfrew
The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,290 reviews
Premier Inn Glasgow Airport
Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport
Courtyard Glasgow Airport

Been to Normandy Hotel? Share your experiences!