“Not impressed”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Renfrew
Alexandria, United Kingdom
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I attended the Glynhill on Saturday 12th October for a tribute night. After ten minutes of getting sent from pillar to post by hopeless staff and getting sent to a wedding reception, the staff found our table. It was On the other side of a glass wall from the tribute act we paid to see and next to the general area that people came in off the street to eat. Service was terrible and many things required repeatedly asking for such as butter, steak knives and milk and sugar. Wrote an email of complaint and I have not heard anything back!

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Alanabeau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Polish first
Dunfrrmline
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night before a holiday with the intention to use free shuttle service to Glasgow airport.

Rooms were fine, although part of the bathroom was cellotaped on!! Lol!

Found out on arrival that the driver of the free shuttle service was off sick so had to pay for a taxi to airport. Was told that he would be back to pick us up the following week from the airport. After landing phoned to ask for the lift & was told that they aren't insured to do pick ups!! Unbelievable!!

If you want a bit of honestly I wouldnt recommend staying here!!

Really disappointed!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Cbep
Wokingham, UK
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed one night for a family function. The rooms are basic but very clean. We ate in the carvery for dinner. The food was alright but the service was a little chaotic. The staff were rushed off their feet and it felt like there weren't enough to cope with the number of diners.

The room keys are actual keys on a footlong keyring (which isn't very handy to fit in your pocket!) Made us chuckle though.

The hotel has a spa with swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi etc, unfortunately I didn't have time to visit it.

There are two bars in the hotel, Harrys Bar and a smaller bar near reception. The smaller bar is much better than Harrys and feels more cozy.

The rooms were noisy at night with children running riot it seemed up every corridor into the wee small hours. Not the hotels fault mind you, more the parents who allowed their little dears to run amok.

Breakfast the following day was chaotic. Again too many diners for the staff to cope. The food ran out quickly however my request for a specific type of fruit juice was dealt with very promptly. Dropped items of food from the buffet littered the floor as I'm guessing the staff hadn't the time to stop and pick it up.

The hotel has a free shuttle service to Glasgow Airport. The hotel itself is very well located if you are making your way to the airport and is only five minutes away.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Attended function at this venue arrived early had lunch served by very pleasant young lady ( Claire ) Lunch was very good but everything went downhill after that.Attended dinner dance in evening there were three different functions going on in the hotel and they would appear to have been severely understaffed.Dinner was unremarkable and slow in coming ( the staff were run of their feet )After dinner we went. out for some fresh air and then returned to one of the lounges for a refreshment. At this point there were only 3 of us in the lounge and two female staff sitting playing with an I-Pod.I asked one of them if we could order a drink after being ignored standing at the bar for about 3 minutes-- she served us and then returned to her colleague and continued play with the I- Pod We were joined by another friend and I again went to the bar to order a refreshment I was again ignored and went over to where they were sitting and requested service. One them informed me "that if I walked through to the other bar I could be served" I informed her that since we were sitting in the lounge I would prefer to be served by her. She grudgingly got up and served me. We won't be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dopey45
Erskine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed in a double room and my 2 older daughters stayed in a twin room, while work was getting done in our house. The first weekend, only issue was the rooms hadnt been cleaned when we had already checked in and went to the rooms, we l left our bags and went to pool, very run down,needs some TLC! Second weekend we were there for 2 nights, every Saturday they have dinner dances and the noise is awful. Phoned reception twice between 1.30 am - 2am, eventually went to reception and asked them to give us a room to sleep in, which they did. The second night we ordered room service, after an hour I phoned to see what the hold up was to be told they had forgot to ask our room number! however they still charged us £28 for 2 soups, 1 hard sandwich and cold chips and the room service charge, very disappointed. We were supposed to stay there the next weekend but I cancelled it, was no where near the 4 star it claims. The only redeming feature is the breakfast is good,although on a sunday morning it is very busy. I did email the hotel to highlight my complants before writing this review, got no response.

Room Tip: TO choose a good room i would pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Lorraine1096493

Travellers are raving about these Renfrew hotels

Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights on business

Good position only 10 minutes from the Airport

Rooms were fine with free WiFi, plenty TV channels, decent bathroom and clean

Unfortunately very poor pressure on the shower in my first floor room

The bar of the hotel requires a face lift with uninviting décor and very well used tables and seats

Bar staff had to be found to serve me at 5.30 pm, why the Reception staff would not serve me I have no idea

The second night I paid for my drink and the bar staff walked off without serving my pint.

Eventually they returned and I was given my drink with multiple apologies.

Food in the hotel was good, although I found the menu limiting

We booked for a meal at 8.00 pm and were told when we arrived that there was no more lentil soup, quails eggs and haggis was all gone, as was the chicken and the prawns

That was about a third of the menu

On the other hand breakfast was superb with a full English and/or Scottish additions like sliced sausage, haggis, tatty scone and decent black pudding

Unfortunately once more an Hotel that only cooks the link sausages on one side-why do they do it?

On leaving, Reception tried to charge me for the accommodation although it had been paid for by the company

Most apologetic when this was realised

Would I stay again, probably at £70.00 per night, but I would eat and drink out

Room Tip: Test the water pressure in the room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank David H
Wythall
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot on business and this is one of the worst hotels I have stopped in. It would be an ok 3 star but they class it as a 4 star. No where near a 4 star.
I don't feel ripped off as the room and breakfast was only £80. They need to benchmark against a proper 4 star hotel

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank KH1Wythall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Renfrew
Normandy Hotel
Normandy Hotel
#3 of 3 in Renfrew
Premier Inn Glasgow Airport
Courtyard Glasgow Airport
Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport
Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport
Travelodge Glasgow Airport

Been to The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!