“Very let down”

Decleor Spa at Mar Hall
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Bishopton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Decleor Spa at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort is the perfect place for a girlie Spa Day or overnight Spa Break.With 7 treatment Rooms, Relaxation area, Rasul Mud Chamber,Vichy Shower, Aroma Steam, 20 metre swimming pool and fully equipped gymnasium this is the perfect place to relax, unwind and enjoy the benefits of our fantastic array of Decleor treatments.
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I decided to take my mum for a spa as a surprise this week and was really disappointed with marhall. On arrival at the spa the lady met us and took our order for lunch and directing us to the spa cafe where the fun began. It was like a scene from faulty towers and the waiter could hardly speak a word of English to understand even our drinks, he then served us with cold lentil soup and when I questioned this he said "I don't understand" his colleague then explained they had no butternut squash left so gave us lentil instead??? The swimming pool and leisure facilities were very basic - the sauna had a notice outside advising part of it was broken, there was no jacuzzi and the music from the gym was blaring. The beautician that gave my treatments was completely inexperienced and struggled to tell me the names of the products she was using, not a patch on the Blythswood or Stobo and would never use it again even at half the price

3  Thank carol c
Jemima T, Marketing Manager at Decleor Spa at Mar Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

I am very sorry to hear your spa day was disappointing and we are looking at all the points you have raised to avoid any repeat of this in the future. We take all complaints very seriously and therefore please can you provide us with your contact details - by emailing spa@marhall.com - so we can get in touch with you directly.

Kind regards,

"afternoon tea"
in 5 reviews
"cant wait"

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We had some complications with our booking not being in the system when we arrived at the spa (it doesn't seem to have been passed on from hotel reservations when we made our hotel booking, however we don't actually have a confirmed reason for it). This said, the spa staff could not have been more apologetic or more helpful as they tried to sort out the problem, fit us in for a shorter treatment in the limited time they had, and check that the hotel had the rest of our reservations (thankfully they did).

When this was all sorted out we were ready for our spa experience. I liked the personal introduction to the facilities by a member of staff, before you then make your way to the changing rooms to get into your robe and slippers.

I was baffled when a male member of staff essentially barged into the ladies' changing rooms however (I have mentioned this in my review of the hotel). I don't think he has anything specific to do with the spa so I don't think it reflects on the spa at all, however there are definitely training issues there as it does affect your experience and first impressions to have something like that happen. There are ways for male staff members to gain access to the ladies appropriately - he pretty much did the opposite of what you should do!

On to the spa treatment. You wait for your therapist in a comfortable seating area with water and magazines. Your therapist comes to find you and leads you through to the treatment rooms which are large and pleasantly decorated. One thing I noted was that the rooms feel warm, dry and smell pleasant - that may seem like an odd thing to mention but often as so much water and moisture is involved they can be pretty damp and mouldy in places.

My massage, although shorter than we had originally booked for due to the mix-up, was great. My therapist was very good, and I felt relaxed but also that my muscles had been worked nicely. I'm used to sports massages so a swedish massage is a nice relaxing treat! :)

After your treatment you can chillax on daybeds in the nicely decorated relaxation room, and after we'd done that for a while we moved through to use the sauna and swimming pool which was pleasant.

If you are going to book a spa package at Mar Hall I would recommend doing it through the week as I suspect the facilities will be less busy then. The spa changing rooms are far nicer than the fitness changing rooms, but there is only one shower, so aim to go on a day when there are fewer users and I think you will have a luxurious time! :)

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Lovely pool and areas nice lunch and friendly staff. Good quality robes and slippers and also nice toiletries. Have hair dryers etc.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Enjoyed my massage , room was lovely and so was Relaxing room after.Therapist , I think her name was Kareem or Kareen was excellent and managed to unknot my shouders.Only comment i would say - juice , water and fruit should be in Relaxing room not next door and we werent told it was there

1  Thank ROSALYN B
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Attended at Mar Hall spa today and after my treatments and lunch I feel fantastic! On arrival at the main spa reception I was greeted by Rebecca. She was up beat and full of energy and welcomed me to the spa. After a quick introduction, as this was my first visit, my therapist Stephanie introduced herself and showed me to one of the treatment rooms. Firstly I received a back and shoulder massage in which she got the pressure exactly what I was looking for. I then had a facial which was so relaxing I could feel myself dozing off. I was gutted when the treatments ended as I could have lay all day. Having been to a few different 5 star spa's recently, I can honestly say this was the best set of treatments I've had this year and the Declēor products feel and smell amazing. After my treatments I was served a light lunch which was just what I needed after a relaxing day. Having left the spa feeling great, I'll definitely be back again very soon. Great place to spend a relaxing Saturday afternoon!

1  Thank Mr_Henry85