“EXCELLENT HOTEL”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bishopton
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here last week and thoroughly enjoyed my overnight stay. The staff were very attentive and were always very helpful. The room was fantastic and the bed was very comfortable. We did room service and everything was perfect and so tasty. The leisure and golf was very good. I did enjoy the gentlemen pianist at afternoon tea and the couple with an array of music at night, a fabulous singer. I would recommend this hotel.

There are newer reviews for Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I've read others' recent reviews of this hotel with interest as I think I share a lot of the same feelings. We too booked the 5pm deal so were very much treating this as a nice 'extra' rather than a special occasion, but my husband and I are lucky enough to have done quite a bit of travelling and stayed in lots of different nice hotels, so we still had certain expectations of this hotel.

So now for the reasons I've chosen to go with 'needs consistency' as the title of my review.....

I called early to make my room reservation, spoke to a lovely person on the phone who found me a Saturday night, took my spa booking, dinner reservations and arranged a bottle of wine for our room - tick!

Our email confirmation never arrived - cross!

On arrival we were impressed by the grounds and the building, easily found a parking space at the front door, and were greeted by a lovely gentleman as we arrived - tick!

We went straight to the spa for our massages - they had no idea who we were as there was no booking in for us, and I had no email confirmation to prove I had booked it. The spa staff were lovely, very apologetic and found us two 30 minute slots, a shame though as we had wanted 60 minutes. We had a nervous 20 minute wait as the spa staff checked to see if our room and dinner reservations had also been lost - BIG cross!

Other reservations were found, massage was fab, spa staff lovely - tick!

Went to get changed into swimwear in the spa changing rooms, just as I got my dressing gown on a boyband wannabe member of fitness staff decided he needed in the ladies. He knocked the door saying 'you decent' when he was already within the double doors facing the row of mirrors so could already see me. Same staff member was offhand with my husband later when he was asking where he should return his towel and gown - BIG cross!

Spent a few hours swimming and in the sauna - very relaxing - tick!

Went to check in (around 2pm), reservation staff were flustered and not very welcoming. They seemed pretty disorganised. Luckily we overheard them telling other people about breakfast as they didn't tell us, nor did they tell us our room number (we were early so our room wasn't ready yet, that was ok) but my husband overheard them discussing it between themselves. Discovered why I didn't receive email confirmation - my first name and second name had been spelt wrong, despite the fact I had spelled it out for the booker. Check-in by detective work! - cross!

Went for lunch in the Grand Hall - it was busy but we were found a table even though we didn't have a reservation. Surroundings are lovely, if extremely busy, food was delicious and helpings were generous - tick!

Went back to reception to get our room key, there had been a shift change so the new staff were calm, polite and friendly. Went to our room (33), good size, clean, nicely decorated, fittings and toiletries etc good - tick!

Went to dinner at the Cristal restaurant - staff were all lovely, really attentive and friendly, menu choice was good, food delicious, and after dinner we sat in the Grand Hall for cocktails and enjoyed the piano player / singer's performance - tick!

Liked our room, slept pretty well, it was comfortable and pleasant to spend time in - tick!

Breakfast - food choice again really good and plentiful even though we went near the end of service. A bit of a comedy of errors going on around us as a couple had been seated at a table in the corner, their tea put out as they were next door getting food. Another member of staff then came and cleared their tea away and seated another couple there (I should point out there were plenty of other tables to choose from). They went away for food as the original couple came back, sat down, and asked why their tea hadn't been served yet. Second couple came back and were a bit miffed to find their table had been taken and they had to sit somewhere else. - tick for us! Not sure about the other folk!

Back to the gym and spa for a few hours. Gym well kitted out with plenty of kit, a good variety of machines and free weights, and everything was new and in good condition - tick!

Swimming pool and sauna pleasant again - tick!

However... bizarrely there seemed to be a fully dressed family of four hanging about at the end of the pool as a small child got a swimming lesson. Their other two fully dressed children felt free to roam up and down the wet tiles outside the steam room and sauna with their outdoor shoes on - cross!

Swimming pool changing rooms - dirty floor - hairs and tampax wrapper (ew!!), no shower gel in any of the shower cubicles, toilet paper strewn on the wet toilet cubicle floors. Every door in both ladies' changing rooms is made of heavy glass which means that when anyone goes in and out of any cubicle there is a deafening clang a few seconds later - not relaxing - cross!

So..... to get to some sort of conclusion. We had a really mixed experience at this hotel. When it was lovely, it was truly lovely, the restaurant staff were delightful, the food very high quality and the rooms lovely too. Some experiences were lacking though and I can only put it down to inconsistencies in staffing. More training is definitely needed in some cases, and the fitness centre, while well-equipped, is more like a small community or council gym, it is not 5 star standard.

I'm unsure whether we would go back here instead of one of the other luxury hotels in Scotland for a staycation. It would definitely need to be a very good deal to tempt us, and we would go with suitably lowered expectations in order not to be disappointed with some of the experience again. I would probably advise trying midweek instead of at the weekends, I think the volume of guests and day spa, tea room package users is so high it puts pressure on the facilities so a weekday trip would be more relaxing. I don't want to say don't try it as it has the potential to be good but needs CONSISTENCY to be truly 5 star.

Room Tip: I wouldn't have wanted to stay in the new style annexe attached to the spa and fitness centre...
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Bought a 5pm deal for £99 including wine and Breakfast as well as 20% off Spa treatments.

We were greeted by the door man when we arrived and he asked our names and if he could help with our luggage. - So far so good!

Receptionist did not have a very good attitude at all and was not happy that we had forgot our voucher. Now I had already booked the accommodation given voucher number and received confirmation, but hey I understand so I said I would email it to them.

Room.

Got to the room at the very end of the hotel (Room 32) and the bottle of wine was chilling in the ice bucket, One window was frosted so could not see out, the other window we had a view of a large tree and a wall.

Nicely decorated and warm with good sized bathroom. Shower had a bit of a leak that bounced off the ceiling but nothing major.

We went down to the bar for a drink and we got great service from the bar. We asked about reservation in the restaurant, when we checked in they said it was busy they only had 6:30 and 9pm available. So we wanted to book for 6:30 and the we will call her Mrs Mar Hall (Not very pleasant) said that they only had 6 and 9 available and we said has the 6:30 slot gone because that was what reservation said was available and she said yes 6:30 or 9pm. OK so 6 is 6:30 to Mrs Mar Hall.

My wife then went for a massage at the SPA and I went for a swim - we both had a really good afternoon.

We went back to the room and settled in got changed for dinner and took the bottle of wine form the room down to the restaurant. (when I booked they said do you want it on your table our in the room. I said the room because I am not sure if we will go out to eat or eat in the hotel).
When we went the long walk up towards Mrs Mar Hall she said YOU CANT TAKE THAT IN HERE! I explained or tried to that when I booked they asked where I wanted the wine in the room our the table! but she got interrupted by a telephone call which she decided to take in the middle of my sentence. We were approached by a Gentlemen in a suit that asked if we could help and we explained to him again about the wine. Mrs Mar Hall then came off the phone and said you are on a SPECIAL so the wine has to stay in the room with a rather loud voice. As you can imagine my wife just wanted to turn round and go back to the room. Mrs Mar Hall then said I will look to see who booked you in and tell them to make sure that she did not tell this to anyone again. Can you really see from a restaurant reservation screen who booked your hotel room 2 months ago! Well Mrs Mar Hall can.

We were lead to our seats by the Gentlemen and seated down we told him that we were not happy with MRS Mar Halls attitude. He was really good and said I am sure you will enjoy your meal which we did the service from the young waiter was really good.

We then went into the bar and had another few drinks and again bar staff were really nice.

Next morning my wife did not want to go to breakfast because she had heard the Mrs Mar Hall was on duty and she felt intimated by her. I managed to persuade her to go to breakfast and it was Mrs Mar Hall that greeted us and she could not have been any nicer to the extent of being over nice. I can only think that she realised how much she had ruined our experience of Mar Hall.

We checked out and once again we were asked for our voucher, so I have just come home and emailed it to them.

I would have done it from the hotel but they wanted £15 for the Internet and I was not prepared to pay that amount for it.

Our extras bill was nearly £150 so we did not just get the £99 Deal and not spend anything.

Hotel looks very grand but also looks a bit dated in places.

Had a good enough stay but we felt really uneasy because of Mrs MAR HALL and we were on a SPECIAL!

I would probably not recommend this to friends and we not stay here again.

Shame Mrs Mar Hall and the receptionist let Mar Hall down and all the other staff members.

Room Tip: Don't book a SPECIAL as you will be an outcast!
1  Thank wellwellsuperwell
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We arrived by taxi in darkness, down a fairly long road but the house was obscured by trees – we turned a corner and suddenly Mar Hall was there! The taxi dropped us off at the entrance which was impressive but didn’t quite show off the full scale of the 19th century mansion from the side.

We entered through the door, along a red carpet and up a short flight of steps where we found a couple sitting by a burning fireplace and were greeted by reception staff. We had a quick peek in the Grand Hall while we waited to be checked in…

Our bags were carried for us and in a short space of time we were taken to our ground floor room.

The room - it was huge with a large four-poster bed! We sat down and perused the in-room info and there was plenty of it! Then we had a leaf through a “This is Glasgow” book which was in the room and the list of spa treatments; the following magazines were also on the office desk: Evo, Good Housekeeping, Woman’s Health and Olive (all Nov/Dec editions). The window was open when we arrived but the room was still warm and it was very quiet outside, we closed the window over and drew the curtains and noticed that they were thick and huge. Hidden inside one of the wardrobes was a good sized TV, a safe and a fridge. The hot drinks selection comprised of Pg tips tea; English garden green, lemon, chamomile & peppermint teas; cappuccino and Aero hot chocolate. There was also a few packs of Deans shortbread.

It was a clean modern bathroom with bath, shower, heated towel rail and selection of travel-sized toiletries but the thing which really took our eye was the phone on the wall beside the toilet seat!

We made our way to the Spike Bar before dinner for an apéritif and were lucky enough to grab a seat beside the fireplace (NB: you can eat your dinner in here too). We were handed a drinks menu with a fairly large selection of gin, vodka and whisky etc. They also had 1 real ale: Houston Crystal from the nearby Houston brewery. Some nibbles were brought to our table along with our drinks, and we took these through to the hotels’ restaurant, The Cristal. We have added our review to the separate page listing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FoodAndDrinkGlasgow
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed overnight on a Saturday and we where very impressed.
On arrival down a lovely drive you come across the very old building which is magnificent, we are from the area so we know it well. Lovely views over the Kilpatrick hills and river Clyde.
Check in was smooth and friendly and we where offered help with our bags.
Our room was on the second floor and overlooked the gardens which are lovely.
The room was lovely big bed large and spacious with everything you could need. High ceilings dark furniture, tv cdplayer etc
The bathroom was bright clean and spacious with a shower over the bath all good quality fittings and nice toiletries and towels.

We ate in the crystal resteraunt and it was fabulous cannot fault it at all the staff,surrounding, food and wine where first class.

We also had drinks in the bar and can highly recommend the cocktails!

I have on small grip and that is the room felt very warm and I had the windows open but I did not turn down the radiator properly!

Would recommend this hotel and spa, although we did not use it on this occasion but will say it is the best facial and massage I have had and I have had a few!

Breakfast was lovely with a buffet or menu the choice is yours.

Room Tip: As for a river view.
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Perhaps it has all the facilities for 5 star award but the standard of room was not the best I have stayed in. It was a large room but the bedroom was pretty constricted. In fact the TV and Tea making facilities were in a large wardrobe that could not be opened as the doors were obstructed by the bed. Had a great view though overlooking the golf course and River Clyde over to the Craggs in Dumbarton.
Bathroom was suitably large with seperate bath and walk in shower. Also had issue with the lights which when switched on at door put the bedroom lights on. There was a table lamp but could not operate on its own, so wife was non too pleased when i woke her up.
Breakfast was good though let down by serving tea and coffee rather than giving you individual pots.
The bed had a joint in the middle which made it rather uncomfortable and sagging.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

The staff are friendly, it is spacious and the rooms are great. It is an all round winner and I would definitely stay again. One of my colleagues thought he had been possessed by a ghost in the table tennis room, though if anything it only improved his usual grumpy personality. Apparently it used to be a military hospital.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 2 in Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#13 of 93 in Glasgow
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!