“Never heard of a Dyson?”
Review of Dornoch Hotel

Dornoch Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Dornoch
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Never heard of a Dyson?”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Truthfully I am not a person that would normally use one of these websites but I feel that my comments would save a lot of people the pain of staying at this delapidated mess that calls itself a hotel. The whole place is a state, never once did my room get hoovered, (dead slater and tooth pick throughout stay, 3 weeks and counting) when you put your towel in the bath to be change for new ones you do not expect to get the same towel folded the next day on your bed. This place is a combination of Guest House Paradiso and Faulty towers, although I'd prefer to stay there. Meals - if you have no teeth then great, as everything is mushy mess. 1 breakfast and 1 main meal, lets just say they didn't stay down too great. Nice waiting staff but the managment really needs looked at. A poster on the wall stating that the "2011 Brochures" now out just shows how ill managed the place is.

Room Tip: Go to the Royal Golf Hotel or the local campsite
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank Por77
JamesMoutrie, General Manager at Dornoch Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write the review of your stay. I was very disappointed to read your comments and have immediately passed them on to the relevant departments to action as we always strive to correct any issues. I would encourage you that if you’re not happy during your stay with us to speak directly to us as your comfort and enjoyment is paramount to us. I believe we give value for money – your comment suggesting staying at the Royal Golf would cost you 2.5 times as much as staying with us. We have thousands of satisfied customers staying with us every year and I am disappointed you are not one of them.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

5 day Shearings coach holiday. Long coach journey but definitely well worth it, lovely setting overlooking the golf course. Sea view room was spacious, comfortable and clean although bathroom was rather tired but it was adequate for our stay. Good food with adequate choice, portions were certainly large enough for me. Certainly the best food we have had at a Shearings hotel. Staff very friendly, polite and helpful. Good weather meant we did not sample the entertainment so cannot comment on that. We had not visited this part of Scotland before but we will certainly be back. Very good value for money.

1 Thank Jill M
Dear Jill M

Thank you very much for your kind review of your recent stay with us. I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments and we are working to update all bathrooms when possible. Its great to see that the staff's hard work does not go unrecognised. Whilst I believe this part of the UK is beautiful whatever the weather - its great to see the sun shining!!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We booked our holiday through Shearings and stayed at the above hotel for five days arriving on Sunday,7th July, 2013. As we drove up to the entrance of the hotel we thought that eveything looked good, nice area etc. We have not got any complaints to make of any of the staff that we had contact with, they were friendly and very polite.

The great dissapointment came when we opened the door to our room. It was in need of a complete revamp. Bed was very lumpy and obviously uncomfortable. The bathroom was old, plus there was no shower and that also was in need of replacing.

The food was to be desired - nothing to say good about in anyway.

I would not recommend this hotel or go there again. very, very dissapointed.

Dear How719

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay but I was disappointed you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are currently replacing a number of beds and I have noted that your room is requiring a new one. We are very lucky to have a very hard working, pleasant staff who are all very much hoping everyone enjoys their stay with us. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and have taken your comments on board as we strive to improve at all times.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Dornoch hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The Dornoch Hotel is a grand building whose glorious years seem to be in the past. The grade of the furniture (in the hotel rooms) can be considered "good condition, but dated". In the communal areas, the old fashioned theme continues, but in better - grander - taste. Floors often squeak, which doesn't exactly speak "quality". All that said, in spite of the warm July weather outside, my room remained cool enough for a comfortable sleep. That's a big plus, considering more modern hotels can become unmanageable saunas under the same weather conditions.

On the minus side, there's no internet to speak of and the hotel room TV appears smaller than an Ipad. Breakfast isn't served until 7.45. Dinner portions are small, and choices aren't the most inspiring (think Little Chef). Phone reception (Vodafone) in communal areas is zero. The lack of internet is a particular bugbear, especially in this day & age where everyone else, down to the simple B&B offers it.

Most guests staying here appear to be retired, and the minus points listed above probably won't matter so much for them, but everyone else should consider options elsewhere.

Service is OK though there is a language barrier with a largely (polish?) staff. They struggled to understand "No thanks, I'm having dinner elsewhere". The night porter did supply us with some toast for a 6am breakfast, which was OK..

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank scot_travel14
Dear Scot_Travel14

Thank you for taking the time to reveiw your recent stay with us. I can confirm that we are currently organising wifi connection in all our hotels public areas which will be installed by October at the latest. As with your issue with mobile phone the walls within the hotel are much thicker compared to modern buildings so it is not as easy as plugging in a router and connecting.
We do start breakfasts at 7.45am - however anyone travelling, playing golf etc before this time just needs to contact reception to organise a continental breakfast to a time that suits.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My wife and myself have just returned from a Shearings five day holiday,at the Royal Dornioch hotel,the hotel, and the staff were exteamly helpfull, but the letdown was the food the evening meals was the worst we have ever had,vegetables were uneatable and all of the evening meals were,in our mind exteamly poor,that was the main complaint and defiantly would not return due to the food quality.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
JamesMoutrie, General Manager at Dornoch Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear BrianA3788

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay and I am disappointed you did not enjoy your meals during your stay.
I have passed on your comments to the Chef to address and asssure you we are constantly striving to improve in all areas.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Just returned from shearings break. Had read reviews so wasn't expecting too much. I booked in May and requested a shower as it said not all rooms had them. I didn't get one. I think in this day and age most people expect a shower in their room. Kept awake most nights by the snoring from,(nt my husband for once), but the room next door!!. Breakfast was decent, but afraid evening meals were not. I have stayed in hotels where food is basic but well thought out. The strange combinations were puzzling. We ate out in the town which was lovely one night but added £40 to our trip. The waiting staff hardly spoke any English, we asked what lager they had and just kept getting 'yes 'as the answer or ' your welcome'. Give up in the end. Just ate soup and pudding most mights. They served a lovely looking pudding but it was frozen! I sent mine back but others ate it! I can honestly say I am nt a fussy person but I think someone could help them sort out better meals that are cheap to produce. It didn't spoil my holiday as I don't let things like that get to me. PS. Please try and clean the tops of the curtains when we pulled them I don't think they had been cleaned since they were hung the dust filled the room.

Room Tip: If you can afford sea view room that would be good, but then if you are still getting the same stand...
2 Thank marion p
Dear Marion P

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry we could not comply to your request for shower - we do allocate the rooms in order of booking & requests so unfortunately there could not of been a room available on your day of arrival with a shower. Rest assured we are installing new showers on a regular basis.
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your meals - and I have given your comments to the Chef to address. It is a shame you didn't highlight your veiws at the time - to allow us to recify your concerns.
I have also passed on your comments regarding the curtains to the housekeeper and thank you for highlighting this issue.

Halifax
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My wife and I booked a 7 night holiday with Shearings staying at the Dornorch Hotel. We chose to pay a supplement for a sea-view and were not disapointed. We had a great view from our window to the garden area in front of the hotel and then the Championship Royal Dornoch golf course and beyond that the waters of the Firth of Dornoch. Good weather added to the view most of the week. The staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful and added to the holiday experience. Overall an excellent week, although it involved a lot of coach travel as you would expect to the see glorious mountains,lochs and interesting towns and villages in this part of the United Kingdom.

Room Tip: It is well worth paying for a sea view as the views from the the front of the hotel are worth the ex...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank John H
Dear John H

Thank you so much for your lovely reveiw and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am extremely lucky to have such a hard working, friendly staff and it is great to see that this is recognised by the guests. I think Dornoch is well worth the journey and also the excursions available allow you to see this beautiful part of the country.

Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dornoch
Dornoch Castle Hotel
Royal Hotel
#3 of 6 in Tain
Mansfield Castle Hotel
Sutherland Inn Hotel

Been to Dornoch Hotel? Share your experiences!