“Golfers' paradise in the Scottish Highlands”
Review of Royal Golf Hotel

Royal Golf Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Dornoch
“Golfers' paradise in the Scottish Highlands”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

The room keying is a golf ball, the (free) wifi password is a famous golfer and our room had a fantastic view over the famous and beautiful Royal Dornoch golf course. Plus the first tee and clubhouse are just metres away. The sun was shining and my other half was like a kid on Christmas Eve, looking forward to his round the next morning. Paradise for golfers! I personally don't golf but I still liked those little golf touches of the hotel and the view. Our room was very plush and modern, having recently been renovated, including a swanky, modern Porcelanosa bathroom. It had two large windows and that lovely view of the course and Dornoch Firth beyond. Dinner and breakfast were both very good. The bar was great too - very comfortable, local art and local whisky too. The Glenmorangie distillery is very close by but the barman recommended a Balblair, also local and wonderfully light in colour. For the non golfers there are some good shops in the village (including one in what was once the Jail!) plus some sight-seeing. The beach is gorgeous and a fairytale castle (Dunrobbin) is just a short drive away and makes for a great family outing. It's a lovely part of the world that I'd never been to before and really enjoyed visiting. Some of our party were staying at other Dornoch hotels but it sounded like this was definitely the best one.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the golf course, ideally first floor
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank SaraNoel
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear SaraNoel,

Thank you very much for posting such a complimentary view on tripadvisor following your recent stay at The Royal Golf Hotel.
I am naturally delighted that you both enjoyed your visit to Dornoch and the hotel. Sixteen of our bathrooms were reburbished in January 2012 and have definately enhanced guest comfort and experience. It is very pleasing to receive such wonderful feed back and I can assure you the team do read all tripadvisor comments and take alot of encouragement from guests positive remarks.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both to Dornoch again in the near future.

Robert Ratcliffe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here again recently and every time it's a treat. The welcome by Gail and Siobhan at reception was warm and genuinely friendly and tHey made check in super easy for me and my golfing guests. Mine host Cameron once again provided excellent service attending to everyone's needs in the bar and restaurant and his efforts couldn't be faulted.
This place has had a few changes over the last few years and is a delight to stay and eat there. We had 3 dinners in the main restaurant overlooking the golf course and everyone (13 of us) were very impressed. The open fire in the lounge just makes it a perfect place to enjoy a wee whiskey before bed.
We will all return here,perfect location ,great rooms and food. Staff are a huge asset to this hotel. Top marks.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Dean9962
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Dear Dean9962,

Thank you very much for posting your review following your recent stay at The Royal Golf Hotel. It was a pleasure having your group stay with us. It is very nice that you gave Gail and Siobhan a special mention, I am sure they will take great encouragement from your kind words. Cameron too was delighted with your praise bestowed upon him. I am naturally pleased with your remarks regarding the team here. Without exception they all give their best to make our guests stay as enjoyable and memorable as possible, enjoy working here and being part of this unique hotel in a very special corner of Scotland.
It would be great to see you all again and I hope it will be in the not too distant future.

Nebraska
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed here twice in 2012 as a new overseas member of Royal Dornoch. Absolutely loved the place and the location cannot be beat. The restaurant and bar cannot be beat. Great hospitality and great food! Love the local seafood in particular.

Tried to stay here in May with my nephew and brother in law. Shocked they were fully booked as of the end of January for mid May. Damn! I was hoping to show my family!

Have I mentioned how disappointed I am that I couldn't book 4.5 months ahead?!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank mm2862_10
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Dear mm2862_10,

Thank you posting your complimentary review on tripadvisor very recently. I am really sorry to hear that you are unable to book rooms with us for your desired dates in May. Please contact me directly via the hotel e-mail and I will endevour to accommodate you if at all possible. With only 22 bedrooms it can be frustrating when we cannot accommodate guests on popular nights. We may well have had a cancellation since you last enquired in January.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your previous visits last year and I hope to see you again in the near future.

Aberlady
Reviewed 22 December 2012

A bunch of stayed for a couple of nights at the end of October on a golfing trip. What a great location. The staff were all ver friendly, great waitresses at breakfast and a superb bar man in the evening. We ate one night and the food was good, bill was a little heavy but the wine ordered was brought in for us and contributed significantly. The rooms were well appointed and comfortable. All in all a very good experience and would recommend to others. We played Skibo, Royal Dornoch and Castle Stuart; all very good. The golf at home in East Lothian, Scotland's golf coast is hard to match though.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Eider
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear Eider,
Thank you for your kind comments following your stay here at the end of October. I am delighted you all enjoyed your stay and our superb location.
I hope you can make it up here again in 2013. We are still running our Highland Stay and Play package from 7th October to 23rd November 2013 which may be of interest.
Houston
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Loved this place. We found the staff helpful. Rooms were clean and comfortable and spacious. Had the third floor room overlooking golf course and awoke to the great view.
Food was good. The bar was a great place to spend the evening sampling various flavors.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jim F
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Dear Jim F,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your kind review on tripadvisor recently following your stay at the hotel. It sounds like you stayed in one of our Suites on the top floor with their magnificent views across the golf course and Dornoch Firth beyond.
Naturally I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and once again thank you for letting us know.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.
Monmouthshire
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We declined the first room we were offered as it was a ground floor and a small double. We paid more for an upgrade and were given one of the penthouse rooms. Fine views of the bay but disturbing when the ground staff set to to mow the greens and fairways at the crack of dawn. Restaurant was fine. Didn't see much evidence of attentive staff others comment on. Indifference seemed to be the standard response.

Room Tip: Be aware of potential for early morning noise
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank daloughlin
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear Morris Edward,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your brief stay at The Royal Golf Hotel, Dornoch.
When you say in the title 'Probably better if you are a golfer', - what do you mean ? If you refer to the fact that we are located only a matter of yards from the first tee of this world renowned golf course or the fact we have a club store room and purpose built drying room for those rainy days then you are absolutely right. However we welcome all our guests warmly and sincerely regardless of the purpose of their stay.
I am pleased that we were able to offer you an upgrade to one of our two Suites, with its magnificent views across the golf course and Dornoch Firth beyond. I believe you stayed in the Donald Ross Suite, named after the famous golf course architect and son of Dornoch.
You mentioned the green staff disturbing your sleep early in the morning. I understand from a previous review that you like to sleep with the bedroom window open - although perfectly understandable this unfortunately contributed to your disturbed sleep. Royal Dornoch is a world class golf course, ranked 16th in the world so it is a requirement and necessity that the greenkeepers work on the greens and fairways very early prior to the first golfers teeing off. Let's be honest, the noise is not really that bad and this is the first such remark I have heard in three years during my time here.
Equally it is the first time I have heard my staff referred to as indifferent. We pride ourselves on our friendly, relaxed and professional service and hospitality. I regret if you feel otherwise and hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Golf in the future.
Elgin - Scotland
Reviewed 10 November 2012

On arrival at the Hotel we were greeted by friendly reception staff and shown to our room. First impressions count and we were surprised at the quality of the room, fixtures & fittings, the entire hotel is sparklingly clean and has a very homely feel. Contemporary & modern in feel. We attended a function out with the hotel and were really saddened not to be able to dine in the links & sea facing dining room. Next time for sure. Breakfast was as expected. Top notch. Fantastic staff, really great hotel. So impressed. Looking forward to many return visits.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Glen_10
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Glen_10,
Many thanks for your complimentary comments following your recent stay at our hotel. Yes it is a shame you could not get the opportunity to dine in the Conservatory Restaurant with its stunning views across the golf course and dornoch firth beyond. Based in Elgin you really must come back up for a weekend break next season and experience chefs cooking and the fine, relaxing ambiance of the Conservatory. Remember the best available rates are to be found on our website or better still call the hotel direct.
Naturally I am really pleased that you found all aspects of your stay to be more than satisfactory from your kind remarks.
Keep in touch and hope to see you again in the near future.
Robert Ratcliffe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dornoch
Dornoch Hotel
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#3 of 6 in Tain
Morangie House Hotel

Been to Royal Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!