“Return to Highland Heaven”
Review of Royal Golf Hotel

Royal Golf Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Dornoch
St Andrews, United Kingdom
“Return to Highland Heaven”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

A year on and we are spending four nights at this hotel as part of our five day golf package. I can say without reservation that the staff are still as friendly and helpful as last time. Nothing is too much trouble and at every turn we find them going out of their way to accommodate our golf tee times. We were absolutely delighted to be In the same room as last time....this could become our home from home.

We dine in the Conservatory and Cameron and all his staff look after our every desire. The food is excellent as is the service. The breakfast staff, whom we hadn't met last year, are delightful and have even offered to provide a cooked breakfast to suit our tee time of 0756!!

We are about seventy yards from the first tee of the Royal Dornoch Championship Golf Course and, if this were the only place on earth where I could play golf and live, I'd die happy.

Again Gayle and Siobhan...and now Samantha too....have ensured that everything has gone precisely to plan. They really are treasures.

Do I like this place?? I love it!!

Room Tip: There couldn't be a bad room here, I promise you.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marilyn R
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Marilyn,
What a wonderful review ! Thank you so much. We are all delighted that you have returned and enjoyed your stay just as much as before. We could not ask for more from a review to be honest.
My team do take enormous pride and enjoyment from looking after guests and so to receive such praise for their efforts is tremendous and we are very grateful.
Thank you again and I hope we will see you again before too long.
Director & General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Scotland
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a golf package playing Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart and Nairn and the hotel was a perfect match to three world class golf courses. As most reviewers have mentioned the staff are very friendly and helpful making our stay here a joy so much so I will definitely return to stay here. It is clear that the owners have modernised what was an older more traditional hotel and they have made a wonderful job. Food wise the breakfasts were in keeping of a 5 star hotel and whilst we ate out one night we also had dinner in the hotel restaurant on the other night of our two night stay. The food was excellent, very well presented and not expensive. The views from our table were stunning. To sum up I have already recommended the hotel to friends and as I mentioned above we will return , hopefully as part of a similar golf package.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank John181
Dear John,
Thank you enormously for posting such a wonderful review following your recent stay here on our April stay & play golf package. It would appear you enjoyed every aspect of the golf courses and hotel facilities, food and service which is a joy to hear. The team keep a very close eye on guest reviews so will be enormously encouraged and thrilled by your kind words.
I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and please 'don't look any further' than The Royal Golf Hotel !
Director and General Manager
Melrose
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Recap = Took father-in-law for a celebration lunch last October - outstanding! This time (14/04/14) it was more "in season" but we still turned up unannounced - just as good! food was 100% excellent, service was attentive, friendly to the point of personal but still not over the top and the views are fantastic. As a total bonus, the background music was a Blues compilation of such authenticity that I was transported! Could not recommend the RGH more strongly - even better that at second visit proved the first not to be a fluke!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank al_ramone
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that your second visit here last week was equally as enjoyable as your previous visit last October. As your probably know we have recently re-opened for the season so it is good to welcome you back. Your comments are very much appreciated by the team for which I thank you.
I hope it will be a case of ''take 3' before too long !

Director & General Manger
St. Mary's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stopped in by the Royal Golf for lunch last week, probably the best risotto I have ever tasted. My son had a delicious burger with lovely chunky chips. The view over the golf course is probably the best in Dornoch and the restaurant itself was immaculate.
I felt it was a reasonable price to pay for such a high quality meal.
We hope to return for an evening meal soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MMMMF
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for reviewing your lunch last week.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your risotto, which is chefs signature dish and has been extremely popular ever since we opened up 4 years ago. This is the one dish that has consistently featured on the menu. Glad to hear your son enjoyed his burger and chips. Chef makes his burgers from cuts of sirloin and fillet steaks so they are sure to be tasty and high quality. Probably the finest burgers in the highlands if not Scotland !
It is also true to say that the view from the Conservatory Restaurant across the golf course is stunning and definately the best view in Dornoch - I agree with you ! On a sunny day it is better than stunning if that is possible.
Thank you for calling in and I hope we will have the pleasure again in the future.
Robert Ratcliffe
Director & General Manager.
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at the Royal Golf Hotel in Dornoch for just the one night and were made to feel as if we had been regular visitors by the whole staff. Everyone was so helpful and interested in why we had traveled to Dornoch. Breakfast was delicious....smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on lovely toast...a must!!

The views were spectacular over the golf course and the beach is just perfect....long, white sands.

Would hope to make a return visit in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynda B
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Lynda,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to post such a complimentary review following your recent stay here at The Royal Golf Hotel, Dornoch. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am naturally delighted that you had such a good time and especially enjoyed our speciality breakfast of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs !
I hope you will get the opportunity to visit us again in the near future.

Director and General Manager
Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, fabulous bedroom overlooking the golf course and the sea, excellent food and all the staff very friendly and helpful. There is plenty to do in the area and it has sime of the best golf courses in Scotland and plentiful long walks. The town of Dornoch is interesting and has plenty of places for eating and having a drink.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Lindahendo
Robert R, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Linda,

May I take this opportunity to thank you for posting your most complimentary review following your recent stay at The Royal Golf Hotel Dornoch.
Naturally I am delighted that your enjoyed your visit to Dornoch and the hotel. You are right to say that there are some of the best golf courses in Scotland round here especially when you take into account Nairn, Castle Stuart, Brora, Tain and Golspie, not forgetting Royal Dornoch of course which is on our doorstep ! All are wonderful golf course in their own right.
Thank you again and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Robert Ratcliffe
Director & General Manger.
Fortrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

top notch place after a round of golf excellent service for food always good knowing your game is about to finish and you can call in advance ping food is ready as u walk in the door!
I have not been since july but I will be back this summer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank stuarty m
Robert R, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Stuart,

Many thanks for your complimentary review posted recently. Naturally I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal with us and I look forward to seeing you this summer when hopefully the weather will as fine as it was last year.

Director & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dornoch
Dornoch Hotel
Royal Marine Hotel
Royal Marine Hotel
#1 of 2 in Brora
Morangie House Hotel

Been to Royal Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!