“Not quite there , yet!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Dornoch
Devon, United Kingdom
“Not quite there , yet!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The owners have clearly spent a lot of time, effort and money on the property but the outcome is not quite on target as yet. For example, our room was fine in many ways with an excellent view and very comfortable beds. However the blinds at the window were too skimpy to cope with the early rising of the summer sun and moreover had very dusty slats! One of the doors of the wardrobe had come away from its hinge and would not close properly as should have been evident to the housekeeping staff servicing the room as it was to us. The bathroom was modern with a large powerful shower but there was no shelf at all on which to put one's personal toiletries.

We found the quality of the meals to be fine but not exceptional and their price reasonable.

The service and welcome was also fine but we were surprised to be told that there would be a delivery charge for a newspaper when the hotel was but a short walk from the town.

We do not think the property merits four stars as yet in terms of the quality of guest experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Selsdon1
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us in July.
Firstly I am pleased to report that the minor issues encountered in your bedroom have been put right. We will continue to upgrade the bedrooms this winter, including improving the level of 'blackout' in some of the bedrooms which will be a priority.
I regret your overall satisfaction level would appear to be rather average on this occasion, however I would stress that this is not the general feeling from the majority of our guests most of whom are highly delighted with the levels of service, facilities and hospitality which we offer.
Only three weeks prior to your stay, Visit Scotland, on an overnight stay, confirmed our 4 star rating with a percentage score of 74 which is a very good standard.
However I appreciate that sometimes we may fall short of our normally high standards hence your points are quite valid and we have subsequently dropped the service charge on newspapers.
Once again many thanks for bringing these matters to our attention and I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Golf Hotel in the not too distant future.

Director & General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I know that is quite a title I have placed on this hotel. Yet, as an "overall experience" in a hotel...Royal Golf Hotel is # 1 on my list. I apply this evaluation based on things like: the follow through on the room reservation I made last Christmas, the staff abilities & competencies, the environment surrounding the hotel (with RDGC just down the back steps), checking in & out process, the pub & the conservatory dining room, and the upgrades they have completed to an older hotel. I rate all of these aspects of my stay as "excellent." I stayed at the Royal Golf Hotel for 1 week, end of June, 2014.
From the golf ball room key I was given on checking in to Chevone calling a taxi for me on my last day to take me to the train station in Tain, I never had a problem with checking in or getting to my train on time. The front desk staff always asked if I was for dinner that night, even called to ask if I wanted breakfast on a given morning. From room service taking care of my laundry to directions around Dornoch, to letting me know the local Pipes & Drum Band playing downtown on Saturday night (town centre is just a 2 minute walk down the hill). Vicki and Louise were like having a local family help me out during my stay.
They were always looking out for my interests. Cameron always had a pint ready after golf (or a whisky suggestion for that evening) in the quaint pub and one evening I had the Gressingham Duck for dinner and it was out of this world in presentation & taste. A fantastic dinner! Also, the conservatory dining room has a gorgeous view of the Royal Dornoch Golf Course and Dornoch Firth, with a lighthouse blinking off in the distance after sunset.
I stayed in Room # 210 which is pleasing to any golfer's eye. It is a corner room looking out at # 1 & # 18 greens and the other windows overlooking the 1st tee and putting green with the Firth in the background. I will be honest and say....even the most modern hotel in Dubai has a downside and if there is one at the Royal Golf Hotel, it is that noisy neighbors (loud snoring) might be heard. Yet, understanding this Hotel was built, probably 75 years or more ago.....I will accept this "fault" easily.
Mr. Radcliffe, you have a superb staff that know their jobs and do them with efficiency & enthusiasm. Something you do not find in most "modern" hotels. Also, it is obvious you are making upgrades, like in the bathrooms, to keep your hotel current. I consider myself lucky to have spent much of my holiday time at such a fine hotel with such a friendly & knowledgeable staff. I highly recommend this hotel to not only golfers, but anyone that is interested to visit such a wonderful village like Dornoch, Scotland. I only hope the opportunity to make a return trip to Dornoch and the Royal Golf Hotel comes around in the not so distant future.

Kurt Lundgren
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA

Room Tip: Room # 210 is the BEST! Views of #1, #18, putting green and looking out at Dornoch Firth. Simply a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KurtMyrtleBeach_SC
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Kurt,

Thank you very much for writing such a wonderful review. We are all delighted with your kind comments which has certainly given everyone a lift during this busy time of year. Your feedback is fantastic to read and it is most satisfying to know that the team are looking after guests so well.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back before too long.

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

10 Canadian golfers had an excellent stay! Hotel is right next to the Royal Dornoch Championship and Struie courses. Hotel rooms over looking the course and the Dornoch Firth and the course were excellent. Our best meal in Scotland was in the Observatory Dining room. I think the excellent wait staff enjoyed our apres dinner guitar sing along! The lovely Gail had a nice chat with 'Wee Freddie'. We will return.

Room Tip: Firth and course view rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peter C
Dear Peter,

A huge thanks for posting your a most complimentary review following your recent stay here at The Royal Golf Hotel. Naturally I am pleased that you all enjoyed your visit to Dornoch.
Your after dinner guitar accompanied sing along was enjoyed by everyone and certainly contributed to a memorable evening.
I hope to welcome you upon your return before too long.

Pinehurst, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This is a perfect location for golfing in the Dornoch area. It is steps from the pro shop at Royal Dornoch. The food is very good. They have an excellent bar and the rooms were very comfortable. I would recommend it

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Andrew S
Dear Andrew,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your very recent stay here and naturally I am delighted you would recommend us. I hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

UK
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Family weekend away turned out to be ok. Location is quite out of the way right up north of Inverness. Nice little town. Initially not impressed with room but got a better renovated room as the hotel is getting refurbished. Staff was helpful. Beds great. Room slightly cold even for the spring. Bathroom fab. Dinner was superb and probably worth a visit just for that! Breakfast was perfect and lots of variety. Prices are fair and I would stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for posting your recent review following your stay here with us in April. I am pleased that were able to offer you an alternative bedroom more to your liking. It is true to say that we are located just under an hours drive north of Inverness. Dornoch is a lovely small town 2 miles off the A9 having a beautiful Cathedral, and I always think very reminiscent of a Cotswold village with its abundance of sandstone constructed cottages and character buildings. There are miles of unspoilt sandy beaches about half a miles stroll from the centre of town.
We did refurbish all the bedrooms four years ago and latterly bathrooms about 2 years ago but nothing very recent.
Thank you again for your kind words.

Regards,

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Our family arrived at the Royal Dornoch Golf Hotel after two nights in London and we were thrilled with our rooms. Our children shared a twin room that was actually larger than my husband and my room. The staff was warm and friendly, Gail greeting us at check in and Cameron later at the bar. The food was a special surprise-two of the best meals we had during our stay in Scotland. The haggis appetizer was fabulous as was the seafood trio and the lamb but my favorite of all was sticky toffee pudding.
We enjoyed relaxing with drinks overlooking the golf course through the "wall of windows" that faced the golf course with the North Sea just beyond. I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Beverly H
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Beverley & Family,

Thank you very much indeed for posting your most complimentary review following your recent stay at The Royal Golf Hotel, Dornoch.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel, in particular the magnificent views from Conservatory Restaurant. It is good to hear that you thought the meals you had were two of the best during your stay in Scotland.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you to The Royal Golf Hotel again in the near future.

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Beautifully located overlooking The Royal Dornoch links and Dornoch Firth this traditional coastal hotel has recently been sympathetically refurbished. Our bedroom comfortable with commanding views over the first hole albeit no wifi reception and you'd have to be in excess of 8 feet tall to open the windows! In fairness management very sympathetic to former criticism and promised future signal booster. Staff very friendly and helpful. Dinner excellent (Western Ross salmon and scallops followed by pear tarte tartin) if somewhat pricey. Breakfast disappointing with eggs patently pre cooked. All in all a very enjoyable visit given flexible budget constraints.

Room Tip: If you prefer splendid view and don't require reliable wifi 209 / 210 will fit the bill
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 323RobinB
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Robin,
Thank you very much for your review posted on Tripadvisor, following your stay here last Wednesday.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Dornoch and the Royal Golf Hotel. Your room 209 certainly does afford terrific views up the first fairway of the world famous golf course and across Dornoch Firth beyond. The window in your room was newly installed last winter and deliberately designed to allow the very best uninterrupted view of the golf course which it undoubtedly does. To keep matters in perspective, I feel compelled to point out a couple of things for the benefit of future guests who may wish to stay here. I am just over 6 feet tall and am able to open the window in your room without the use of step ladders. A bit of a stretch admittedly. For vertically challenged guests we would be more than happy to offer assistance opening the window should this be required. With this glorious weather just now it is good to open the windows.
Eggs at breakfast time have always been cooked to order (yes, even scrambled and poached). My chef would be seriously insulted if I accused him of pre-cooking eggs to be quite honest. Not only that he would probably want to sack the breakfast cook !
Finally I would like to thank you for highlighting the WiFi issue. As a result of your comments during your stay I have purchased an additional access point and am just waiting for a sparky to install power to the corridor adjacent to your room. Hopefully tomorrow ! This should resolve problems with weak signal in the few rooms along your corridor.
Once again Robin, many thanks for your constructive feedback. I don't agree with all of it as you have probably gathered - except the WiFi. We enjoyed having you as our guests and hope you will visit us again in the not too distant future.

Robert
Director & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dornoch
Dornoch Castle Hotel
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#3 of 6 in Tain
Mansfield Castle Hotel

Been to Royal Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!