“Mediocre at best.”
Review of The Trentham Hotel

The Trentham Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dornoch
The Trentham Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Dornoch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I recognise the Trentham has to date received only positive reviews but it depends who you speak to. Having eaten here several times I can say the service is usually good and the staff cheery. The decor is a little tired and the toilets not particularily clean when I visited.
I found the food varies each time I go there. The most recent was with friends and we all had the steak sizzler. The food was hot and the steaks cooked exactly as requested. The portions were small however and the quality of the meat left much to be desired. It was grizzly and to thin to be tender. When a member of staff asked I told them what I thought but the look of shock on their face left me feeling guilty and I said no more. The Trentham has a good reputation with many locally but I found it over priced and mediocre at best.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ronnie L
There are newer reviews for The Trentham Hotel

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I visited the Trentham on Saturday 6 July with my family. As always the food was amazing, the steaks especially. The barman is really friendly as is the owner, but the waiting staff really could do with a bit of training on clearing the tables and their attitudes towards guests.

When the main courses arrived, 3 of us had steaks, the last main course to arrive was wrong. We had order the smoked haddock special and instead the battered haddock had come. When this was pointed out to the young waitress she signed, rolled her eyes and stomped back to the kitchen with it. We were all rather taken aback by this, she returned a few minutes later to say that the chef would prepare the correct dish, which was fine with us as we were in no rush. However, the attitude we felt from this waitress did put a slight dampener on the evening and cost her a tip.

Having worked as a waitress myself as a student I always note how the table is cleared and in this case stacking plates in front of people and leaning over them to grab things off the table was not exactly of a high standard. I appreciate that the waiting staff are all young and may be working there during school holidays etc but it looks nicer and is more pleasant if after a lovely meal your table is cleared properly. The abrupt manner that they come up to the table is a little off putting as well, a simple change from 'do you want dessert' to 'can I get any dessert for you' would really help.

I'm sorry to put anything down at the Trentham because the food is always fantastic, but with a few minor changes with the waiting staff the whole experience could be fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We have used The Trentham as an overnight stopover since the late 1990s. ( It's only about 80 picturesque miles south of the Orkney ferry terminals. )
One of the things that keeps taking us back is the friendliness of the owners.
But it's well worth a visit if only for the food. This along with upgrades to the hotel fabric has improved over the years & attracts both locals & people staying in self-catering.
The bedrooms are not en-suite but the overnight charge reflects that. The hotel is right next to the A9. But that far north the road goes very quiet overnight.
The breakfast is worth getting up for with a wide selection of options. All in all it's a little gem of a place.

Room Tip: Room one is the largest we have used. The others we have been in are compact but very clean, comfort...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We enjoyed a family meal out here and were pleased with the quality of food and the service. The children were made very welcome and were served as soon as their food was ready. We had to wait a little longer as food was prepared from scratch but it was worth the wait. We all enjoyed the meal and would recommend looking at the specials as well as the printed menu.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We always enjoy our meals at the Trentham, the steaks really are something else and you can guarantee at least 2 diners will be eating it every time we visit, that speaks for itself, however I cannot resist the Nachos, delicious and very filling, the owners are always very welcoming and chat away like you're an old friend, a lovely place to eat with friends/family, another firm favourite of ours.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We were staying at Embo for a week april/may 2013 popped in for a quick drink one lunchtime as it was my husbands birthday. We received such a warm friendly welcome, that we booked a table for dinner that evening, we were not dissapointed the meal was fab. The haggis with oatcakes were superb, for mains we had steak pie and chilli beef burritos, the portions were so big we couldn't manage a sweet. I had a liqueur coffee best ive ever had anywhere. The toilets like previous reviews were stunning. We were so impressed we went back later in the week. The staff were so friendly you just want want to leave, lovely views too.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I always make a point of stopping in for some of the great onion rings known to man. Simply stunning. Pleasantly surprised to see the toilets have had a refurb - best toilets in town.

Normally I go for the Steak Sizzler, it comes on a metal plate and continues to cook while you eat - this time though, I was in for some scampi, delicious.

There are only a few places that I love to stop when I visit Dornoch, The Trentham Hotel is always one of them.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends