“Out of the way but go out of your way to play this gem.”

Royal Dornoch Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Dornoch
More attraction details
Owner description: Designed by Old Tom Morris in 1886, this challenging, historic course has spectacular views of the North Sea and goes almost straight out and straight back, with the angle changing subtly at each hole.
Vero Beach, United States
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Out of the way but go out of your way to play this gem.”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This golf course is on just about everyone's "Top 25" list. For me, it's on my top 5. It is certainly one of the finest golf experiences you will ever have and one of the best golf courses in the world. Yes, it's out of the way, but go out of your way to play it.
I don't think I've ever had such a good time playing golf every time I play this golf course--and I've played it a dozen times. It's an old-fashioned, classic out-and-back links golf. I heard of it when Tom Watson said it was his favorite golf course. I can see why. No tricks to it. Just plain old links golf at its best. If you've ever wondered how links golf is different than other golf, play this golf course. You'll learn very quickly.

Marlow, United Kingdom
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Great golf course but you feel like a battery hen here”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Cuching goes the cash register and another punter is processed!
Such a shame. This is a really great golf course and yet the welcome & the experienced has changed since my last visit some 15 years ago.
Top tip - give this a miss and go up to Brora GC instead.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank d_jones25
toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“#6 in the world”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Easily the best golf course I have ever played, on a beautiful sunny spring morning, as a single since they only allow two balls until 9:30. Played great until I turned back toward the clubhouse and into the wind. Will go back again if I can find a way.

Norman, Oklahoma
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A Must Play Course!!!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is one of the best courses I have ever played. The course was challenging but fair course. The views were breath taking, one of the most beautiful courses I have seen. I think if the course was closer to Edinburgh it would easily be on the tour. I would highly recommend playing Royal Dornoch to anyone.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Royal Dornoch Golf Club”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Beautiful course. Love the fact that non golfers can accompany golfers on the course. My husband says it is the most beautiful and most difficult course he has ever golfed.

Visited July 2014