“Oh dear”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Oh dear”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This chippy opened last year and after a few teething problems the food turned out to be first class. Over winter and it's changed hands. I've been in twice over two weeks. Quality not as good now and batter stodgy. My wife went in on Saturday just in case the first visit was a bad day. She ordered a Scampi and chips and a chicken. After 10 minutes the scampi was ready but another 20 mins before the chicken was. She said that the scampi would be cold now but was told it'd be ok as it was wrapped. When I opened my chicken I couldn't believe it. It was like a massive bit of batter floating in grease. I tried to remove the batter but it was stuck to the chicken like super glue. The wee bit of chicken I did manage to get was tasteless and tough as old boots. I have been waiting for a decent chippy again in Dornoch and I thought after it opening last year we had it. Unfortunately after the last two visits I won't be back. Just have to go to Tain or Golspie. I am so disappointed with this.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank WillieHuggan

Nairn, United Kingdom
“needed a shave after waiting so long”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

visiting dornoch for the weekend,so went for a chippy,young lassie serving was very polite.ordered a scotch pie and tea,chicken and chips for the wife,this was at 6pm.
at 6.20 the chap asked my wife if she would like batter on her chicken,he then started cooking it
6.30 he said he was just waiting for the pie,i can only assume he was making it from scratch,"wrong".we eventually got our chippy at 6.45 the scotch pie was actually a steak pie,the pastry was soft obviously microwaved "very slowly".the chips were lukewarm,but the wife said the chicken was lovely,at least the birds had a good feed.we would have been quicker going to tain and the chips would still have been more edible by the time we reached dornoch.castaway ""getaway""

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank john m
dornoch
“no the best”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

the family went for a meal here one night the batter was tasteless and the chips were not even half cooked. we thought we might have caught them on a bad night so we tried the food a couple more times yet was the same result. we now find ourselves going all the way to tain for a chippy. not what dornoch needs to be honest

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank podge c
slaundrys, Owner at Castaway Fish & Chips, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
This business was taken over a while ago and is now an Indian take away as well and its more popular than its ever been. The town now has both chip shop and Indian take away, it's soon to be a fully licenced resteraunt which is open 4.00pm - 11pm every day serving excellent food.
The town wants and needs this facility, what it does not need is you and your outright lies. If the success of this business is affecting you then you need to up your game.
Invergordon, United Kingdom
“Great Fresh Products”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I use this chip shop regularly and cannot say enough how good it is. The fish is very fresh and the batter always crispy. I also recommend the pizzas and garlic bread that are made fresh in front of you. The restaurant is very pleasing to the eye and nice and modern.

The prices are very reasonable and they also do home delivery.

Overall I must visit if your in town.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank AlexAndAlison
Ossett, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What an excellent takeaway/cafe”
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We visited at the end of October and when we stumbled upon Castaway, it was fantastic. One night we sampled a mixture of fish and chips, pizza and kebabs which were beautiful.
The next lunchtime we called in for their bacon roll and cuppa special. The bacon was out of this world, and the bread rolls were beautifully soft.
What really makes this place though is the people who run it. Wonderful people, very kind and a pleasure to talk to. Keep up the good work!

• Visited October 2012