“A gem of a find.”

Auchlea Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dornoch
Auchlea Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 20 Dornoch B&B and Inns
Inverness
“A gem of a find.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Just stayed the one night for a birthday treat away. Last minute decision so very lucky to find a room after trawling the interweb. Could not have been luckier and to be honest can't add much more to the recent reviews as they pretty much sum it up. A host who is genuine and loves being in the business to meet people. Wonderful comfy bed, great breakfast,relaxing atmosphere, fab location and beautiful garden.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hamilton, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We arrived on a wet, cold afternoon in June and had the most warm of welcomes. The hostess put on the central heating and the kettle, so we had a warming cup of tea when we had taken the cases out of the car. Good sized bedroom with welcome tray which included a miniature bottle of whiskey. There is a guest lounge where you can watch tv and meet the other guests if you wish.

The B&B is located some distance from Dornoch, probably too far for most people to walk and we took the car into the town (really a city, as it has a cathedral) and had dinner at the Dornoch Inn. Note that the Inn has last dinner orders at 2015 hours.

Breakfast the next morning was superb, beautifully cooked and lots of it.

Well worth a visit, hopefully your weather will be better than ours!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We were heading for the ferry to Orkney and this was the ideal place to stay overnight, leving us plenty of time to drive north along the coast to Gills Bay the following morning. Our host was delightful, the rooms spacious and comfortable and the breakfast excellent. The house was easy to find and had plenty of room for parking.
We loved the garden too.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Last year a friend and I cycled from JohnO'Groats to Land's End. When we arrived at Auchlea, Fiona was extremely welcoming and allowed us to store our bikes in the garage.
Our room was extremely comfy and we had everything we needed and were advised by Fiona of a nearby restaurant which was ideal for us to walk to.
The breakfast, was out of this world, so many helpings of porridge, baked bread and the best cooked breakfast, I have had in a long time, we ate with wonderful views across the fields and hills surrounding Auchlea. Fiona, busy in the kitchen, still found time to ask about our adventure and tell us of previous guests and interesting facts about the surrounding area.
I would hope that if ever you are in Dornoch, you must see if there is vacancy at Auchlea.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matt R
Auchlea, Owner at Auchlea Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank-you so so much for taking the trouble to review my B&B especially since it was some time ago that you stayed here. I'm really glad that your stay was excellent. Please come again and/or at least send your friends.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

We spent a short family break in Dornoch in early spring. Despite it being the tail end of winter, the region didn't feel cold; rather, it was basking in its own mild micro-climate!

Auchlea is only a short drive from the historic town and easily found from the main road. The house is surrounded by beautifully kept gardens and has enviable views over the firth. My parents and I were allotted our rooms (both ensuite) and made to feel welcome from the offset.

I'm going to have to skip to the breakfasts: we specified in advance some requirements (i.e. meat free products) for food. Fiona noted our requests and later exceeded herself, providing several delicious alternatives to the standard Scottish fry up. (Don't worry! A traditional breakfast is very much still an option, too.) In fact, the table was filled up with home made jams, fresh fruit, and (my favourite), smoked salmon and scrambled eggs! Everything on offer was delicious and we would leave the table each morning feeling very full and very satisfied!

Auchlea is comfortable and extremely homely. It was my first time quite so far north in Scotland and I was struck by the tranquility of the area. If you find yourself in this beautiful part of the country, I would thoroughly recommend this bed and breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Auchlea, Owner at Auchlea Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank-you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay at Auchlea.
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I have just returned from spending a week at Auchlea and would rate my stay as exceptional. I was immediately struck by Fiona's relaxed welcoming caring manner. Fiona goes the extra mile for her guests in order to ensure that they are comfortable. The B&B is warm, bright, ultra clean, and very comfortable. The setting is beautiful and her grounds are lovely and encompass ample parking. Fiona herself is an excellent hostess and lovely cook. Her unruffled manner is due to her being exceptionally well organised which enables her to engage with visitors with an almost serene calmness. Fiona herself is bright, lively, friendly, and knowledgeable. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and Fiona's chats. Staying at Auchlea was like a home from home unlike some B&B's which are very much businesses. I recommend staying here unreservedly and would certainly return should I be in this area. Many thanks Fiona for being so welcoming and caring. yours aye Kathy

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
How kind of you to write such a lovely review about your stay at Auchlea. I really hope that you come back and see us in 2013. It was a real pleasure to look after you.
Pinehurst, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Fiona runs a first class B&B. Clean comfortable rooms. The garden surrounding the home is beautiful and very well attended. Fiona is a wonderful cook and you will find the breakfast meals delicious. She also provides very good tips on local eating establisments. This was a guys golf outing, no surprise, to Dornoch. I will go back with my wife just to spend time with local exploring and follow up conversation with Fiona.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
First of all apologies for not responding sooner to your extremely kind words about your stay at Auchlea. I have been away visiting 7 grandchildren in various parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland for several weeks. I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a lovely review and would love to see you back at Auchlea in 2013.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dornoch
Dornoch Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Brora
Amalfi Bed & Breakfast
Amalfi Bed & Breakfast
#5 of 20 in Dornoch

Been to Auchlea Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!