Dornoch Castle Hotel
at No 9(Dornoch)
Fionn Lodge(Dornoch)
The Steading(Dornoch)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfour poster bedtower roomlog firewhiskey barbar areavenisonno liftmusselslovely hotelmalt whiskyreal alesuperior roomresidents loungelocal producedining roomone night staycooked to perfection
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed for one night. Unique hotel - you are staying in a real castle, it used to be the Bishop's Palace - on a dinner, bed & breakfast basis. With hindsight, we paid over the odds for what we received. Food was good at dinner and at breakfast, and service was attentive. Hotel is a little bit tired and could do with a refresh. Dornoch is a lovely village, and worth a visit. If we return, would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mr&MrsWilko
dornochcastle, Front Office Manager at Dornoch Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

Hello Mr&MrsWilko,

Thank you for your review!

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your dinner and the breakfast.

However - we are disappointed that you felt you paid over the odds for what you received. We are constantly making changes to improve our bedroom standards and we take on board the constructive criticism.

We do hope you will return in the near future!

Kind Regards
All of the team at the Castle

Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed here on a number of occasions and have loved every one. The service is outstanding helped by the friendly style of reception.

Each of the castle rooms are amazing, this year we had the Tower room and I was blown away. Not only by the style and decor but also the little touches. I have stayed in a number of hotels but even the less prestigious rooms here are a cut above anything else.

The food is excellent in a lovely atmosphere where most products are locally sourced.

If you stay near Dornoch this has to be the place!

• Stayed: August 2012
dornochcastle, Front Office Manager at Dornoch Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you enjoy your regular stays here and that you feel that the service we provide is outstanding.
We are also very pleased that you enjoyed the luxury of the Tower room and the extra touches that are included!

in the end, we are all very glad that your enjoyed the food and the atmosphere and we hope you return in the near future!

Very Kind Regards
All of the staff at the Dornoch Castle Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2012

I have lost count of the number of times I have visited this hotel - always for a few days. I have been twice this year and have only just returned after another week. The weather wasn't very good but there is plenty to see and do in Dornoch with the History Links Museum in the road at the back of the hotel and also lots of little shops, not to mention the magnificent Dornoch Cathedral across the road from the hotel. I arrived in Dornoch after a tiring time at Wick's Gala Week! I knew I would be able to relax and chill out in Dornoch before heading home. Again, what can I say about this hotel? I had everything I needed in my room and the food and wine were excellent. The garden was also looking splendid.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
dornochcastle, Front Office Manager at Dornoch Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Hello Jean S,

Thank you for your reveiw!

We are delighted that you returned to stay at the Dornoch Castle Hotel.

We are also pleased to hear you were able to relax after a tiring week, and are very happy that you enjoyed the meals and wine that we had to offer!

We look forward to your next visit at the Dornoch Castle Hotel.

Kind Regards
Rhiannon

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Just finished a 4 night DBB stay at this hotel and had a wonderful relaxing break.

We are regarded as a quite high maintenance couple by some hotels but nothing was too much trouble at this lovely hotel. We take our dog with us on holiday and my wife has severe dietary restrictions, so many hotels say these things will be no problem but have then let us down, but not Dornoch Castle. The restaurant had a suberb table d'hote and a la carte menu each evening and they also prepared a separate menu for my wife, offering choices for each course. This embracing our requirements really removed a possible source of stress from our stay and allowed us to relax.

We loved the hotel and the ambience around the place, the staff were always very helpful and always made time to chat and interact with the customers.

We will definately be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
dornochcastle, Front Office Manager at Dornoch Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Hello Des K,

Thank you for a great review!

We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relax!

It also makes us very happy that you felt you didn't have to worry. We try our best to do what we can for our guests!

We are all pleased that you enjoyed the ambience and that you found our staff helpful too!

We are all delighted you stayed and hope you return soon!

Kindest Regards
All of Dornoch Castle Hotel

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We spent a night here in June, after booking a deal through "It is On". Our package included DB&B and whisky and shortbread on arrival. I have to say we had a wonderful stay.
We were in one of the standard garden view rooms, and although these aren't as fancy as some of the other rooms, it was spotlessly clean and had a nice modern bathroom.
After checking in and being shown to our room, we went for a walk around the village, which is very pretty. There are some lovely little shops and a couple of antique shops which are worth a browse around. After our walk we headed back to the hotel and had a few drinks by the fireplace in the bar - so nice and cosy.
We had a lovely dinner at the hotel, with delicious food, good sized portions and great service. What more can you ask for.
After dinner we headed back to the bar.The barman (one of the owners sons, i think his name was Simon) was so friendly and really knows his whiskies. My husband tried several different whiskies, and as I dont like whisky, I was introduced to some different gins. A nice touch to include the ladies - so many places wouldn't think of this. We had a really nice night.
I know there are stories of a ghost at this hotel, and I have to say we had a couple of strange things happen. We had just gone to bed at about 12, and I was nodding off when all of a sudden the fire alarm went off. I jumped out of bed and was getting dressed to run out, when it suddenly stopped. I headed back to bead and then at exactly 3am I was suddenly woken with lights flashing in the room. I wondered what on earth it was, and then realised the tv standby light was flashing blue/red/blue/red, so fast and bright that it had woken me up. I have no idea why this happened, and after a few minutes it just stopped. Very strange indeed. Perhpas a little visitor ;-)
Breakfast in the morning was lovely - try the dornoch black pudding, the best ever! The serving staff were very friendly and one lady gave me some good advice on visiting Dunrobin Castle. If you get the chance, go and visit as it's stunning.
I have to say the best thing about this hotel is the staff. They are so welcoming and friendly. I witnessed one very rude man giving the girl on reception such a hard time, as he couldn't get a dinner reservation at the exact time he wanted as they were so busy. She was extremely polite and very professional, even though his behaviour was shameful.
We will definately come back to stay here again, and next time will book one of the Deluxe rooms as they look beautiful. I hope the same team of staff will still be running the hotel, as they really go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello Jolo2006,

Thank you for your time spent writing such a nice review!

We are all so pleased that you had a wonderful stay. We are also glad that you had time to relax in our comfy bar by the fire!

The team are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your dinner, mini whisky taster and breakfast too!

We really hope the flashing lights and fire alarm didnt put you off :) and hope that you return to the Dornoch Castle Hotel in the near future!

Best Wishes