“Good cheap small hotel and mountain bike storage”
Review of Ben Bhraggie Hotel

Ben Bhraggie Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Golspie
Ben Bhraggie Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Golspie B&B and Inns
Dunfermline
“Good cheap small hotel and mountain bike storage”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayed for a night while up working in the area. Des and her staff were spot on and I had a good evening in the bar with the locals. It is not the Ritz nor does it charge Ritz prices.You get what's on the tin which is fine in my book. I will be staying there again next time I am up in Golspie.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cardiff
Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as part of the Lejog journey, and on arrival were confused as to where to check in, as you have to walk through the restaurant, but rang the bell and the friendly lady came and showed us to our room. The room was very basic, which is fine as we had been camping for most of our trip, so we're glad to get beds on some nights. The bathroom was quite a way away, but was suffieient for our needs (could do with bathroom paint though as the normal emulsion is getting affected by the condensation). You will struggle to get an eatery in the area, the one we were planning to go to, the golspie inn, was closed down. We fancied a walk to the centre and found a nice fish and chip shop which you could eat in, but you can also eat in the hotel.

Although very basic, it suited our needs for an evening. We were utterly confused at breakfast as there were some odd cereals on offer, so I settled down to some much-hated fruit n fibre...then we saw the lady owner, and she cooked us a lovely full Scottish breakfast, good to set you up for the day...but don't think the cereals are all that is there!

My only criticism is the cost. We paid more for this place than we did for a much nicer b and b, and indeed for a late room at a holiday inn. If the cost was less I would have been much happier, and I have only rated it as poor on the basis of value for money. If they wanted to justify the cost as it stands, the place could do with a lick of paint and a bit of a upgrade in terms of general furnishings and just seeing shown everything a bit more in depth, with a clear entrance etc. as it was quite confusing.

For cyclists though, it is a great place, again, just a bit costly. But it is nice to have abed when you have been camping for two weeks!

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Me and my co-workers have used this hotel many times and frankly wouldn't stay else where . We stumbled across this establishment almost a year ago , working on the windfarm it is an ideal place to stay with more than satisfactory rooms (always clean , comfy bed , ample gadgets etc). although there is no ensuite the bathroom is clean and tidy and the shower and bath are excellent after working hard all day.
We have never had a bad meal in the bhraggie although sometimes not being able to finish the meals due to quantity. The owner desy is fantastic and always on hand ready to help and the bar staff we encountered have all been friendly . I cannot believe the other reviews on trip advisor saying it is dirty and dingy as it is a very homely establishment , and always gets a 10/10 in our eyes . So much so were staying there this week again.

• Stayed December 2010
Uttoxeter
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I arrived just about on my last legs after cycling from John O'Groats on my first day towards Land's End.
Before even negotiating room rates etc, I was proffered a pint from the bar which was more than welcome. (Chargeable, of course, but only to be expected)
A massive Lasagne followed and the owner even brought my bike in to safety for me while I was settling in.
No en suite for me, but the wc and shower was just a few steps away.
Great breakfast and lots of help to arrange for some luggage to be sent home.
The lady even popped into the Post Office later while I was there to make sure all was going well.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank UttoxeterPedro
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The room was basic - which I can live with for an overnight stay - but I think I can say that the food here is the worst I've ever tasted on a visit to Scotland. No-one should ever feel the need of a chain saw to cut pastry, but I did, the beef curry had three pieces of meat in it - and yes I counted - and the fish was half raw. The service was sullen, and sloverly, and the value for money was nil.. Dreadful!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travellingmum80
des001, Owner at Ben Bhraggie Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
I apologise that it has taken so long to reply to your review. I had been advised about your review, by a third party a few days ago. As we take complaints very, very seriously, we had started by checking all guests staying in July who had ordered three dinners as a couple, which we have been unable to find.

We have also checked the till (computerised) and all written records, which has not been an easy task. And still we can find no evidence. Again, this may be inconclusive despite the effort. This naturally has left us querying authenticity, as has been the case with the previous posting which was posted maliciously. I apologise if you think your complaint is being ignored.

However, on the very rare occasion that we do not reach expectations, the customer is always leaves satisfied, because we genuinely care to put any anomalies right. We have many repeat customers, who visit us year after year for food as well as accommodation.

If there was a problem with food quality, it would have been in your interest, as well as ours, to have come forward with your complaint at the time. It’s the only recourse we have to making things right.

There have been occasions and we are aware, as well as not happy about it, where we haven’t quite managed to provide the best of service, especially when we are very busy and the temp staff struggle especially as they haven’t had the time to build up their confidence and knowledge 100%,

Now, all I can hope for, is that if this is an authentic complaint, please email me the specifics so that the problem can be looked into and addressed.

We are well respected for both our hospitality and food quality, so such accusations are a shock to us.

Regards
Desiree
falkirk
Reviewed 28 July 2011

was working in the area stayed in this hotel with a few workmates , no lock on bedroom door tv didn't work food rotten sheets never changed an des the owner emailing my boss with wild accusations regarding our behaviour, only spoke to this woman once and she still made up lies. DO NOT EVEN BOTHER TO STOP AT THIS HOTEL

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tired1Falkirk
des001, Owner at Ben Bhraggie Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
A third party had been advised about your posting and the matter has been passed to TripAdvisor.

As mentioned, certain allegations towards you were made to your company, which were not a pleasure to do, and again as mentioned, I have never had to terminate a booking for the reasons you may or may have not mentioned. Above all, I have to ensure that all who stay at The Ben Bhraggie, have a safe and enjoyable stay and for this reason against logic, but through kindness, allowed you to stay another week, until you found other accommodation.

Most of your allegations are untrue, however, the door of one bedroom was never fixed, as there was a high probability that you would break it again and had therefore left the repair till you had left.

Again, I regret that such a bad relationship had evolved and would have wished that with the few emails sent to your company that the situation could be resolved. However, unfortunately, this only led to further grievance rather than remedy.

In retrospect, it would have been best to have used legal assistance at the time, but had decided to try to resolve situation without resorting to such measures. An apology and non-aggressive behaviour would have been the best course of action to resolve this.
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2010

My employees regularly work in this area. They stay here in the Ben and like it very much. They always ask to stay here on return visits. OK it's not the Ritz but it's not meant to be. The accomodation is reasonable and the home cooking is great and you get large portions to which big Gibby can testify. They like the staff and the crack at night so if you want a down-to-earth place to stay where you can have a laugh then I recommend the Ben. Whingers should find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Lep2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Golspie
Sutherland Inn Hotel
Dornoch Castle Hotel
Dornoch Castle Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dornoch
Morangie House Hotel

Been to Ben Bhraggie Hotel? Share your experiences!