“excellent custommer service and meals!”

Poppy's Coffee Shop
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Golspie
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 September 2013

stopped by on route from touring round scotland so decided to nip in and have lunch.
I had the soup, very very lovely and served with roll and butter.
my partner had the potatoe filled with tuna and we were to be honest expecting what we ordered but it was complimented with a fruit salad, salad and coleslaw. Also crisps, very crispy! none of your cheap brand walkers/ golden wonder there... high end lunch in a very lovely setting.
hopefully things go from strength to strength as we were very pleased. 2 lunches and 2 drinks, about the £10 was excellent value!

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stopped here for lunch because it looked nice outside and seemed to have plenty of customers, plus it helped that there was on street parking outside. Service was friendly and welcoming although the table was sticky and in need of a wipe. The lasagne was home-made and came with cheese-topped garlic bread and a side salad with the usual bits plus pineapple and grape. Prices were reasonable and loo was okay. There aren't that many places to stop in Caithness with all the bypasses so Poppy's is well-placed for a quick snack.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

The food was fine and the service was friendy, but just too expensive. If you keep fleecing the tourists the won't come back.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is a lovely family-run restaurant. Food is fresh and made-to-order. I ate here at least 3 times while in Helmsdale, and had a take-out sandwich another time. The owners patronize the local stores, and were often seen running to get some item they needed for food prep. When they ran out of diet soft drinks, the man ran to the local store to buy more. Meals were delicious, and pastries/sweets wonderful. One server in particular remembered my dislike of tomatoes and peppers in salad; I did not need to tell her on subsequent visits not to add them.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

On our way to Orkney , we stopped of at this little coffee shop, menu was a good choice . Was told by the older waiter " we do all coffees "so morning hit I asked for expresso , the first one he made had coffee grinds down the cup so I asked for a replacement and he looked as if I was asking for much , next thing the waitress made one and brought it straight over. Next I can smell smoke while drinking my coffee , The older waiter is at the back door smoking as he is having a conversation with the waitress. My toastie came and it was really nice ! I asked for another espresso and the waitress said its ok I will get it ! So my time in Poppy's was looking up! finally

I then came to pay and the older waiter appears again ! Washes hands in sink still looking good , picks up a dish cloth wipes hand, mouth and puts back on work top,Stinking of cigarette smoke and a none minty fresh breathe takes my money , tries to be humours and tells me to go on trip adviser if I really enjoyed it. Well I have done so, I believe we all have bad days , but the food was good , if he had been day off It would be 5 stars , Waitress was great , coffee was a little bitter but that could be blend, cleaning issue or service technic I can't tell. People always refer to faulty towers your waitress was a defo character of John Cleese and well we all know the one I'm referring too. The look she gave me as he yipped on will go down in my holiday memories thank you Poppy's, but I will be back up a Christmas, and I shall update my review