“See you again next year!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kylesku Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kylesku
Kylesku Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kylesku
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“See you again next year!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel is a bit of a treat for us. We stay in Assynt every year and having a meal here has become an anticipated highlight. The location is hard to beat and there is always a warm welcome from the owners who are always visible and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
This year (2013) we have eaten at the Kylesku Hotel twice (March and October). The food has always been very tasty and beautifully prepared, making the most of locally sourced ingredients, especially fish/shellfish. On our early visit we chose the tapas of 7 fish dishes, the portions were small but very individual and creative – the kitchen team clearly have a passion for food!. My other half just loves their Cullen Skink and King Scallops while I can recommend the Beer Batter Haddock and Calamari. The wine list is quite extensive and good value considering the remote location of the hotel. Our meal of 2 starters, 2 mains, a side portion of chips, a bottle of wine (we splashed out on this a bit) and coffee in October came to £82- not unreasonable and well worth it as a treat.
Whether you are planning a stay and/or a meal be aware that currently the hotel closes over winter from end October/first week in November to the beginning March, although Tanja was telling us that following some planned refurbishment they hope to be able to extend their season further into the winter in future.
We are already looking forward to our return visit next year and this time I’ll remember to email you beforehand about the possibility of sea urchins!

3 Thank HeatherC064
KyleskuHotel, Owner at Kylesku Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear HeatherC064,

Thank you for your kind comments and your continuous support.
You are right in saying that this part of the world is full of surprises. The landscape, the fresh shellfish landed on our doorstep and all the fabulous local produce are all very inspiring. My kitchen team is all about the respect for the produce but also enjoying ourselves with it and creating dishes which represent this feeling.
The wine list is always evolving and we are planing to update it again for the 2014 season.
We are indeed planning some major works for the Kylesku Hotel with the view of opening a little longer in the near future.
We look forward to hearing from you regarding the Urchins.

Sonia VIrechauveix
Chef & Owner, Kylesku Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Urquhart, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Just returned from our fourth visit to Kylesku. The term beloved of estate agents " stunning location , early viewing essential" just doesn't beginning to describe this gem , tucked away in perhaps the most beautiful scenery in the West Highlands, the location is not just beautiful but has a languid tranquility that make it very special . While the hotel itself , is in many respects modest, it is comfortable and welcoming. Guests are made to feel genuinely welcome by the owners Tanja and Sonia . Nothing's too much trouble and their staff are attentive and polite. The food while not inexpensive is first class and is all locally sourced and freshly cooked. The only downside is its popularity which makes booking rooms at short notice challenging . Very highly recommended .

Room Tip: Make sure you book early
1 Thank Frank B
KyleskuHotel, Owner at Kylesku Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Frank,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I'm so pleased you both enjoyed your recent return visit to the hotel.
I hope you have a great winter, and we very much hope to welcome you both back in the new year,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

A fantastic hotel. Warm, friendly welcome and thoroughly helpful team of staff. Our room was large with contemporary furnishings and a large bed (specifically booked a room with a bigger bed). The room was fresh and clean with white bedding and towels.

Food was local and lovely and there was even a specific gluten free menu, only one we came across on our travels around 6 hotels in Scotland!!

The hotel is in a lovely scenic location! Next to the slip way into the sea loch, we were too late in the year for the boat trip. It is well located to visit several places on the west / north coast.

We were only here for one night, but plan to be back for longer. Thoroughly recommend this hotel (this is the first time I've felt compelled to write a review it was great).

Room Tip: Bedroom views of the loch are a bonus, but the bar, restaurant and cosy sitting room (with log burne...
Dear Jennifer,
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent brief stay with us. I'm pleased too, that you like the decor of the rooms- we have been upgrading these over the past 2 winters.
As for the gluten free menu- you're very welcome! To be honest many of our dishes are easily 'tweaked' so that they can be gluten free, and as we prepare all our dishes from fresh ingredients it's straightforward to be able to make something special.
We hope to welcome you back soon,
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I could write an essay or post dozens of photos on how beautiful Kylesku is and it wouldn't do it justice - you just have to see it for yourself. I planned a mini road-trip to Scotland with my husband and my parents. A good friend of mine said I MUST go to Kylesku. So I promptly booked the only available rooms during the week we'd be there - a spacious double (with en-suite bathroom) for my parents and an attic room for my husband and I. Even though the attic room is small, it was comfortable, clean and, to be honest, when you're in a place like Kylesku you won't be spending much time in there. There is a separate, but private, shower room - again, not a problem for us at all. With that being said, if you want one of the loch-facing rooms - book early. But either way, you will not be disappointed. The only negative was it seemed like the heater wasn't working efficiently at night - and so it was a little chilly at times for us (and we are Floridians).

As for the service, you can't find more hospitable and kind people anywhere. At check-in we received a lovely tour of the property. We also had reservations made for dinner - and our hostess was outstanding - funny and attentive. Since we had an early train to catch in Inverness, we needed to leave earlier than breakfast hours so they made us custom breakfast packages to go, full of sandwiches, snacks and drinks. We were so grateful for that kind gesture.

There is a boat tour available right outside of the hotel at certain times of the year, but we just missed it - I was definitely bummed about that, but it's something to look forward to next time.

Dinner was also excellent - yes, it is a little on the pricey end - but look at where you are - just enjoy yourself and live in the moment. The food was fresh, unique to the local cuisine and delicious. Our last meal in Scotland was certainly the best.

I wish we had more time, but I will certainly be booking more days the next time I find myself in Scotland.

By far, this is one of the best places I have been and I highly recommend it, although a little reluctantly, as I kind of want it to be my own little secret :)

Room Tip: The attic rooms require you to go up a narrow flight of stairs and do not have en-suite bathrooms (t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JiruSama
Dear JiruSama,
Thank you for your very flattering and comprehensive review. It was lovely to meet you all last month, and I hope you enjoyed your visit to your friends in High Wycombe before heading back to Florida.
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us- it was a very long way to come for such a short trip, so we really had to make sure we helped you enjoy it to the max.
We very much hope to welcome you back to Kylesku if you are planning another trip to Scotland.
Bussum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

The contrast between remoteness, wilderness of the place and the comfort of this establishment is something that triggers unusual feelings. The seals are climbing on the jetty just at the footsteps of your room, there are waterfalls, magnificent mountains, free-walking sheep and deer around the place. At the same time you are in the most comfortable, cozy and modern room imaginable.
The restaurant is also fantastic, with special atmosphere you find only in such remote places.
The only issue we experienced was some kind of bug in heating system, so in the night we had no hot water neither heating; but it was warm outside and it has not crashed the magic.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ilya 1967,
Thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay here in September. We are indeed in the heart of the highland wilderness here, and we try and provide a warm and comfortable stay for our guests. Thank you for pointing out the issues with the hot water and heating. The heating does actually switch off at 11.30pm unless very cold outside, however, hot water should be in abundance 24 hours/day. I have been looking into this since reading your review, and have rectified this.
We do hope to welcome you back soon,
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I have just made my fourth visit to this charming hotel. Owners Tanja and Sonia have created a very special experience for their customers. Superb local food, beautiful rooms and the most exceptional team, who are clearly the "secret weapon" in the hotel's success. Nothing is too much trouble and whether your new to the area or know it well, your assured of a very attentive service, to help you get the most from your visit. Guests undoubtedly feel as though they have stumbled on a well kept secret and I think they have! That said, as the awards continue roll in (the hotel has just been awarded Scottish Hotel of the Year by the Good Hotel Guide), it is fast becoming a highly desirable and exclusive place to stay. That's thoroughly deserved. I suggest you book early.

Room Tip: A number of rooms have a loch view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
KyleskuHotel, Owner at Kylesku Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear JHD1254,
Thank you for such a fantastic review. It was really lovely to see you again. I know the team will be very touched by your comments, however, I really do agree that they will bend over backwards to make our guests feel welcomed and looked after. We are very lucky.
As for the most recent award- we are very proud of this, if not somewhat overwhelmed- however, this is still the start of our journey at this hotel and we have many more plans yet.
We do hope to welcome you back soon,
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have just returned from my 3rd stay at Kylesku Hotel and each time it gets better. Sonia and Tanja are the perfect hosts supported by such a friendly, talented and professional team. The food is outstanding, affordable, and truly locally sourced. Keep an eye on the daily specials board for some real treats! The bar is well stocked with a wide selection of wines, real ales and malts. Once again I stayed in one of the attic rooms which was very comfortable and cosy, looking good from the recent redecoration and refurbishment. Not only is the location of the hotel spectacular, but the whole area is full of things to do, and the hosts are always on hand with their knowledge of the local area to offer suggestions. Thank you so much for a wonderful few days. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
KyleskuHotel, Owner at Kylesku Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Olly,
It was so lovely to see you again- I can't believe it's been nearly 3 years! I agree with you though that the area has a sort of magnetism to it. If you like wild, open spaces, it totally gets under your skin.
I wish you all the very best with your change of career, and very much hope to see you before too long!
Tanja
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kylesku
Inver Lodge Hotel
Mackay's Rooms
Mackay's Rooms
#1 of 11 in Durness
Oak Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Been to Kylesku Hotel? Share your experiences!