“A welcome return”
Review of Kylesku Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kylesku
Kylesku Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kylesku
Olney, United Kingdom
“A welcome return”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Although I wrote a review when I had a wonderful stay two years ago, I was so impressed with the return trip that I decided to add to it!
When you return to a hotel that must have seen hundreds of guests pass through since you were there before but that welcomes you like a good friend, that is something quite special. The rooms, the view, the food were all just as great as before, Tanja, Sonia and the team as concerned as ever to ensure you have the very best holiday you can while you are in the area.
Arranging for a stag to sleep for the night on the grass outside my window, ensuring there was the most water I have ever seen in Eas a' Chual Alluin were feats they refused to take credit for - but making sure I went to the north coast on a day that was dismal everywhere else ensured I stayed out of the rain. Oh and did I mention the food? To watch the boat at the mussel farm and then to eat the mussels - under one food mile - is a special experience!
I'm booked in for next year which says all I need to about this very special spot! Thank you all for spoiling me so comprehensively.

Room Tip: Loch view rooms are superb. Room 3 suited me as a solo traveller.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
KyleskuHotel, Owner at Kylesku Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear BabaTate,

Thank you for your lovely comments, we are all very touched. I was great to have you back with us and we are already thinking about your next visit! Stag has been spoken to and will do a little dance next time... Keeping you away from the rain is our daily challenge and we do this armed with numerous weather forecasts. Most of them are often wrong but we still try!
It was a pleasure to spoil you and we look forward to doing it again.

Director, Kylesku Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Norfolk
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just back from a brilliant couple of nights at Kylesku Hotel. Wish we'd visited sooner. Magical spot and great place to stay. Tanja and Sonia have created something very special. We had a night at The Albannach on the way up and we'd recommend the combination of both. They're different but share a passion for local ingredients, imaginatively prepared. Although they're not miles apart, the landscapes surrounding each are subtly different and deserve a decent amount of attention. We shall return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room One which had a beautiful view over the loch.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
KyleskuHotel, Owner at Kylesku Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Simon017,

Thank you for your wonderful review. Tanja and I are very touched by your comments.
We are extremely lucky to live here and the scenery still surprises, and inspires us.
I hope you will be able to return very soon so that we can show you some new walks and spots where you will feel the awesomeness of this incredible corner of the UK.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We've been to the Kylesku hotel many times - it is a fair drive from where we stay- however it is well worth while. Every time my hubbie has the Seafood Platter (he can't get past this on the menu) and even though some of the items were not available, the waitress explained what they had added to make up for it! I always go for the burger as it is always well cooked and well presented. I also found it great that our waitress talked knowledgeably to other groups in their language - German and French. Amazing service with amazing food.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mags h
Dear mags h,

What a lovely review! Thank you.
I am pleased to read that you were explained what was or wasn't on the seafood platter when you come to visit us. We have to rely on the day's catch and natural cycles. At the moment, we are unable to get our local mussels as the alga bloom is in full flow. As we aim to get things locally, I must accept this yearly phenomena and not try to get them from Sheltand or further afield.
The burger is a work of love as our butcher knows is stuff and we love eating it as much as anything else on our menu.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Kylesku.

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have been staying and eating at this wonderful hotel over many years.(Indeed I will be back in the Autumn.)I have always enjoyed all of my visits and only once,a few years ago had a below par meal(far too salty mussels).However,the current owners and their team have improved the place significantly and undertaken some super refurbishment,which is on-going.
Aside from the one afore mentioned incident the food is superb and a better setting to eat it in is hard to imagine.
The service, friendly staff and the few locals are a pleasure to spend time with.
The sunsets are beautiful and watching the wildlife is a pleasure.
I strongly recommend the Kylesku,and I'm sure it will leave a lasting impression,as good as it has for me.
It also has a F/B page----which I would urge the owners to use more frequently----it takes the edge off missing the place when I'm not there.Looking forward to the Autumn and my next visit.
See you soon.

Room Tip: Ask for Loch views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Northernroamer,

You have managed to describe what we try to do very well. We are incredibly lucky to be in the setting we are in and we hope to do it justice. The hotel is our home to us but also to our team and we try to make it very welcoming.
Sometimes, sadly, we fail, and I am still thinking about theses mussels. Following your feed back, we make sure to only use unsalted butter in the garlic butter we use which is I fear the cause of your below par meal.
Regarding FB, we have neglected it a bit this year but we will do a lot more this winter... You will have to watch and see...
I look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

A warm welcome and all staff so helpful, nothing too much trouble. Beautiful room with lovely view of the loch. Even the bathroom had a wonderful view! The food was delicious, wished we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Nicola P,

Thank you for your very kind words.
I am delighted that you had a lovely stay and hope you will be able to return very soon.
I look forward to welcoming you again to Kylesku.

Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel - we stayed for one night but that was enough to convince me to return!

On arrival one of the owners, Sonia greeted us in such a welcoming manner and showed us to our lovely room overlooking the loch. Perfect size with all that we needed, including a great bath!

We ate in the bar, the food was amazing. I would highly recommend.

The hotel is right on the harbour and has seats outside to admire the wonderful scenery.

After a great nights sleep the breakfast was just what we needed to round up a lovely stay, definitely try the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs, or the blueberry pancakes!

Thank you for a wonderful stay Kylesku Hotel!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cas1291
Dear Cas1291,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that we all delivered on service and food. We are far from perfect and will often question ourselves, but we aim to welcome everyone in a way that is as homely as possible.
You are right, breakfast is the most special time of day and always deserved a treat.
I hope you will be able to return to Sutherland very soon and /i look forward to welcoming you again to Kylesku.

Tetbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Travelling alone to the highlands with a 3 and a half year old to stay in a hotel - albeit just for a few days - is probably not the most obvious of holiday choices so I approached our visit with some trepidation. I shouldn't have worried as the staff at the Kylesku were exemplary in their care of both me and my son. Nothing was too much trouble - the finding of frozen peas for a faddy eater, the getting of milk at the bar of an evening for bedtime stories, the procuring of maps and suggestions of beaches and places to go with a wee one, and then Mark from behind the bar showing my son how to go crabbing off the jetty outside the hotel one evening. We had THE most lovely time and I felt very relaxed throughout our stay (or as relaxed as one can be with a small person!). Don't think we were getting anything special though as it was clear everyone in the hotel and bar around us was getting just the same amount of care and attention from both the staff and the owners. Highly recommend it for either staying over or for a meal as the food was just fabulous; just a shame we didn't stay longer and I could have worked my way through more of the menu!

Room Tip: Family room was tastefully decorated, modern and very spacious - plenty of room for my young son to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear CorksK,

Your review is so heart warming, I am not to sure what to say.
It was a real delight to have you and your wee one with us. Nothing is trouble for us as we are here and we have the things (most things...) in the kitchen. I hope this holiday will be a great memory for him also: learning how to "crab" is a life saving skill in the right hands!
You mentioned that we give out maps etc. We do this to insure everyone can get the best out of the area following what one can do. Sutherland can be awesome with a little help: a young child would not climb a mountain but could certainly build a sand castle!
I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and hope you will return soon to sample some more.
I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Best wishes
Sonia,
Director, Kylesku Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kylesku
Inver Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stoer
Croft 338 B&B
Croft 338 B&B
#1 of 2 in Drumbeg

Been to Kylesku Hotel? Share your experiences!