“Friendly staff, needs updating but has a certain charm”

Loch Ness Lodge Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Drumnadrochit
Bournemouth
“Friendly staff, needs updating but has a certain charm”
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We had a great night here, rooms are clean and ok. The decor is very dates around the hotel and a lot of tartan. Not very luxurious but I think it has a quirky charm that I enjoyed. Staff were all very friendly and made me a cocktail for my birthday celebration. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful. We didn't eat here, we ate at a near by pub which was lovely. I recommend for a quirky experience but don't expect 5 star luxury x

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed in August 2013 with a tour group. Rooms were stuffy and musty. Smell dissipated before going to bed which was good. Bathroom good. WiFi available in foyer and library. Great location. Ate dinner, food good; but wait staff were difficult to converse with.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We arrived late in the evening after visiting Inverness. We were given a room in the old section, and one in the new section. Both rooms well appointed and very comfortable, albeit the older section room had charm and really an old Scottish lodge feeling to it. The bathrooms were very nicely decorated as well, (often a sore point in a nice room). The hotel is clean, the staff friendly, the location great for a visit to the area. The evening was spent relaxing in the bar, which has a nice fireplace and a super ambience, big comfortable sofas affording privateness while being in the large area. The bartenders were friendly and informative. Breakfast was good. All in all, I would definitely recommend the hotel to friends and family visiting the area.

Room Tip: for more of a "historic" feeling I would ask for a room in the older section.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Port Isaac
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The good things first - for the most part the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was very clean and the beds comfortable.
But - having selected the Loch Ness Lodge from its website, on the basis of the photo, I was somewhat disappointed to find that it is in fact a part of 'Nessieland' (although to be fair it does mention this in the 'blurb') and that the majority of the hotel appears to consist of 1970s or 80's extensions which do not add anything to the architecture of the original building.
I booked the family room for myself, my 13-year-old daughter and her friend and was horrified to discover that not only did the bedside lights not work, the switch for one of them crackled and gave me a tingling sensation in my fingers when I tried to operate it.
I immediately reported this to reception and was told that someone would be up to sort it out. I waited for and hour and a half for them to arrive but then returned to reception to be told 'They must have gone home'.
I mentioned it again when I checked out in the morning and was told they were grateful for me informing them as staff don't usually check things like that when they clean the rooms......
Please note this was a family room - I can cope with not being able to read when I go to bed but if I had been there with younger children and had known nothing was going to be done about the dangerous lights I would have checked out there and then.
I was also somewhat concerned that the building, with all its extensions, is something of a rabbit warren and finding our room was a challenge. There appeared to be no indications to as the route to follow to get out in an emergency.
The website states that free Wi Fi is available, but they don't tell you that it is only in the reception/bar area - they claim it is because of the thick walls of the old building, but as I've already mentioned, most of the building consists of thin-walled modern extensions.
The room itself was clean and tidy but the decor very dated, although the bathroom appeared ton have been refurbished quite recently - it certainly wasn't worth the £140 I had to pay for it.

Room Tip: Ask to see them first....
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alastair W
Reviewed 2 September 2013

After reading the reviews we stayed in Inverness at first. Inverness hotel was far more expensive and room not as good. Plus traffic and parking difficult. Loch Ness Lodge easy to get in and out and central location to the Loch. For the price a good stay. Room clean, comfortable, and breakfast was good, but could use a few more items. Front desk, bar and restaurant service very good. Service from Darrel and Sheona who we interacted the most with was exceptional. They made us feel like family and important guests which made this a memorable stay. Originally, we were set to stay just one night but after meeting the staff we stayed 4 nights. Would have stayed longer but had to go back to real life. Food was one of the better places on the Loch for Scottish Food, and the Bar had a fine selection of Whisky. Darrel was very helpful in our trials of Whisky and we now have a new favorite. We stayed in a 2 twin bed room, for a reasonable price compared to the rest of the area. When return to Loch Ness, I will for sure stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary W
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on 30 August. We arrived in Drumnadrochit and liked the look of this hotel so thought we would see if they had any availability for the night.

We were greeted by a lovely woman on arrival who was extremely helpful and offered to show us the room we would be allocated (we arrived prior to hotel check in time). We paid £99 for one night bed and breakfast in a double room.

The hotel is carpeted throughout with Scottish tartan and is full of artefacts and traditional Scottish fare. It's got a lovely warm and welcoming feel to it.

When we went back to the hotel to get our room key, another member of staff on reception advised she had given us another, slightly larger room as she had a last minute cancellation. This was a pleasant surprise.

Our room was adequately sized and well laid out with nice furnishings. It had a hospitality tray with tea, coffee, hot chocolate, sugar, milk and biscuits.

The toilet was small but well maintained. The cistern made a loud noise upon flushing which we think was a pump system. This made us reluctant to use the flush during the night. The bed was well made however the mattress needed replaced. However these two points did not at all stop us from having a lovely stay in this hotel.

We spent a few hours in the bar and Daryl the barman's knowledge of the hotel's history really impressed us. He also makes a fine French Martini! We asked for a deck of cards and he gave us a brand new pack rather than using a deck already opened. He was a lovely host who really helped make our stay that little bit more special.

Breakfast in the morning was very nice. We both got served immediately and offered toast, tea and coffee. We then went to the hot buffet where there was a member of staff serving. Food was lovely, no complaints.

All staff who dealt with us during our stay were very attentive and pleasant.

Overall this was a wonderful stay in a lovely hotel in a beautiful part of Scotland and we would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Stotfold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We spent one night here and the room was old fashioned but clean enough. The hospitality of the staff was very good although the breakfast procedure was shambolic. Eggs cooked to order and everything else on a buffet system. Evening meal in their Pibroch Restaurant was excellent and overall we enjoyed this hotel.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alan S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drumnadrochit
The Lovat, Loch Ness
Loch Ness Clansman Hotel
Loch Ness Clansman Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abriachan
Glenurquhart House Hotel

Been to Loch Ness Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!