“Absolutely loved our stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Loch Ness Lodge Hotel

Loch Ness Lodge Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Drumnadrochit
Terceira, Portugal
“Absolutely loved our stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Loch Ness Lodge for 3 nights and absolutely loved our stay. It's located in a lovely area close to many things but far enough away from the city so you can have a beautifully relaxing vacation. Great service, good price, very tasty breakfast, and nice rooms. The rooms are a but dated but they are decorated very traditionally and are very comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone interested in staying in the area. I would make one recommendation and that would be to have a better selection of beer at the bar. I was a bit disappointed with the selection and wish that they offered some late night snacks as well at the bar. But the fireplace in the bar area was fantastic! We stayed in October 2010 but for some reason it's not letting me go back to that date

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank EatDrinkTravel2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

After 12 hours of travelling arived at this unique hotel in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. Rooms are clean and comfortable, friendly staff, brilliant food. And could end a long day in the bar with a few beers and a good whisky and a warm fire. Perfect stay!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Lovely hotel , friendly staff , good service , nice cooked breakfast , rooms are clean decor is nice & very Scottish! Bathroom is a bit dated but clean & large, location is Good nrby restaurants & shop's, nessie boat trip is Good on loch ness , friendly help staff in the shop next door too.
Lovely boat & you don't need loads for the trip to go ahead only 6 people on our Trip .

Room Tip: Rooms 6&7 are both double & have a nice view!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I must admit, after reading some reports on tripadvisor we were a little apprehensive about our stay here, but this dissipated almost as soon as we had walked in the door.
The receptionist was delightful, we were greeted with a lovely warm welcome. The open fire in the lounge/library area was a nice touch too. The room we got for the price we paid was fantastic, definitely a traditional Scottish Lodge.
Service was ok at dinner, but the food very good.
We weren't quite sure what to do with our day on Loch Ness, but Shona recommended a few places for us to visit, and as we are keen walkers, highlighted the best places to get lovely views of the loch from.
Rose looked after us a breakfast and made sure we had everything we needed.
Wish we could have stayed longer, but will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derek S
durness
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

hi ,
stayed here for one night ,loved the old style building and decor,far ahead of the modern cardboard boxes now available,,bar staff and receptionist where great, nice and friendly and helpful,, room was warm and comfy (remember its 700 year old ),,then came breakfast,a meal i look forward to when staying away from home,,,,was eventually told to sit down ,,was given coffee and toast,and had cereal, then waited ,,and waited ,and waited,and waited,then people that came in long after were asked for their order,,was just bracing my self to leave dining room when over she came ,yea order,, then waited and waited and waited,again people in after us got breakie,just about to leave again as had timetable to keep to when it arrived,by this time i drank all coffee and ate all toast,,o breakfast was ok,enough on plate for anyone ,but breakfast staff haven't got any idea at all about serving scottish breakfast,four people working in dining room for about nine guests, what a let down for such a nice old comfy building ,sorry guys won't stay again,,,,,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alex M
LochNessLodge, Public Relations Manager at Loch Ness Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
We are so sorry you did not experience a nice breakfast time here with us ,we had staff from an agency in on this particular morning and things just didn't go quite right ,we were not aware of theses comments at the time .Thank you for taking the time to write and for your nice comments on how much you loved our traditional old style Hotel .
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I found this hotel whilst searching online and due to the short notice of my work request, I chose to stay at this hotel as it was in the location of my work for that day. I really wish I had paid a little more and stayed down the road. The visit was for business and pleasure.

When we arrived at the hotel, the look of the exterior gave you a good warm feeling and you looked and thought, Nice!!
There is the saying, "It's not what's on the outisde that counts, but what's on the inside". This saying could not have been more true if I had written it myself!!

When we walked in through the hotel door we still thought, this is quaint and really Scottish, as the carpets were very tartan and the decor was definitely Scottish and gave an old lodge feel, but really this was as far as it went.
The check-in process was realy good and the receptionist was pleasant and polite and I could not fault her for this.

We walked up the main staircase, through a doorway, down the corridor and along right to the end of the buiding and our room was at the far end of the corridor and the last room ( I had asked for a high floor end of corridor room to minimise noise from people walking past, so this was what I had asked for). We opened the room door and was immediately greeted by the smell of staleness, smoke and damp and this really was not the nicest of smells to be greeted with. The roo was very dark and dingy, the bed small, the carpet damaged and stained, the bathroom dirty and dusty and shower curtain and window curtain stained with mold. Plus the dusty flies on the bathroom windowsill. The TV in the room reminded me of my childhood when colour TV's first came out and this did not work properly. The room was very cold and the bed was very small, uncomfortable and the springs were coming through the mattress.

My partner was ever so slightly shocked and to be honest, so was I, as I have never paid £75 per night and been put into a room that I would not even consider renting out if I was the owner of the hotel.

I went back to reception and spoke with the young lady who checked us in and in the background was the manager. She came and spoke to me and asked what the problem was? I relayed all to her and was asked if I would be good enough to step away from the reception area, as guest were checking in and the lounge area was opposite and other guests were aware of the conversation. I happily moved as I do not like to make a fuss and had no intention of involving others in my conversation.

I told the manager where I had stayed the previous nights and what prices I had paid and was immediately told, "If that is the sort of hotel you are used to, then this will not and would not be good enough for you, as it is not a new hotel, boutique or high end, it is a 700 year old lodge house and all our other guests find it totally acceptable!" I said that I appreciated the location, style and calibre of the hotel and even the age, but I could not accept the condition, smell and style of the room that I had been put in, especially when I had paid what I considered to be over the odds for the room, as it looked as though it had been there for 700 years and not cleaned for probably the same length of time?? The manager obviously took umbridge at these comments and told me, "If you do not like, then you can happily check out and go and find somewhere else to stay?" I have never been so taken aback before in any of my time of staying at hotels anywhere in the world, because I had never been spoken to like this or ever had this option shoved in my face, I was mortified and immediately told her that her attitude was not acceptable or what I expected in response to my complaint and made it clear to her that I was not happy.
The manager then made a suggestion that I might like to look at one of the lodge rooms, as she had never had any complaints about these rooms in the 700 years she had been there! I asked her if they were of a better quality to the room I currently had and was told that they were the best rooms in the hotel. She then said, that if I did not like those rooms, then there was nothing else she could do for me!?

I opted to see the lodge rooms and the receptionist came with me and showed me two of the rooms available in the lodge. On way to the rooms the young lady apologised to me and said that a lot of people were not happy with the rooms I was in. I was shown the rooms and opted for one of them, as it did not smell, it looked cleaner and the bed was in far better condition.

To be honest, I wish I had taken the managers advice and checked out when she gave me the opportunity? The room was on the front of the hotel and overlooked the car park, which was not a good place to be when a coach checked in late at night and also because it was an area that most hotel guests accumulated to smoke their cigarettes (right under the window) and chat loudly until the early hours of the morning. Surprisingly, some of thise guests were back again as early as 6am to smoke and chat again. The shower in the room was not of a good standard and either froze you or burnt you as there was no happy medium to shower with.

Breakfast was not the best either, very limited locally sourced produce (Lidl and Aldi) and staff who did not seem to want you there. Quality of breakfast was not good at all and upon leaving the hotel, there were two other couples complaining about the quality of breakfast too.

Would I recommend this hotel to anyone, absolutely not. This hotel survives on coach party bookings of tourists and this is obviously why the rooms are of the quality they are, because the coach parties are captive audiences and pay a lot less than those that book on the off chance and at prices that are for a hotel of far superior quality and service..

JUST FOR CLARITY AND TO BECAUSE I WAS ASKED TO DO THIS: During my complaint to the manager, she told me that if I was to make/put this complaint into the public domain or on Tripadvisor, I was to make it clear that I was given the option of another room and that that room was an upgraded room of a better quality to the one I had booked? Dear manager, this is excactly what I have done for you, as per your request.

Room Tip: My tip on this hotel would be, "Do not stay there", simples!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank berty75
LochNessLodge, Manager at Loch Ness Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you so much for your kind evaluation of our hotel. We remember you well, and your lovely stay in the new Aberdeen Hilton.
We have acted on, and rectified, as necessary, these very thoughtful comments of your overnight stay.

Many thanks,
Management

Travellers are raving about these Drumnadrochit hotels

braco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

No central heating in old part, an oil heater with timer that goes for only 2 hours, my timer was broken and got a replacement from reception.no tv reception and asked at reception, got told it does that sometimes???? I overheard another guest tell reception she had no hot water for 2 days.
Internet access is available in lounge and under the stairs, watch you your head here .
the lounge is lovely with real fire, bar is good, but so , so expensive and doesnt open until 5 pm,if you want tea etc mid afternoon you are asked to go to Nessieland next door.
Breakfast was good,but why do they not leave the teapot on your table, they leave the coffee pot! Staff are all very friendly, hotel is clean but really needs a good upgrade, and watch your door handle ,my stuck twice and had to get help from reception.GOOD BED !!!!! good sleep when i was warm.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 246aberdonian
Thank you for your comments ,sorry you experienced a problem with your heater and T.V during your stay ,we aim to get things right first time ,every time .But if things go wrong ,we pride ourselves on fixing them as quickly as we can .Im so glad you enjoyed our lovely open fire ,breakfast , and had a good warm sleep ,we really appreciate your comments .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drumnadrochit
The Lovat, Loch Ness
Inch Hotel
Inch Hotel
#2 of 2 in Fort Augustus
Loch Ness Country House Hotel at Dunain Park

Been to Loch Ness Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!