“Experienced one of the cardinal sins of hotel dont's during my stay.”

Loch Ness Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Drumnadrochit
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I had an overnight stopover here in October 2013, and I am legitimately in two minds about what direction to take with this review. Do I let my big 'no no' experience outweigh the goods of this hotel? Or am I able to forgive it this once and rate the hotel on its overall merits..

On the one hand, the positive side of things, the hotel is unique. Decorated nearly completely in tartan, I was surprised to find that just about the only things not tartan covered were the bedspreads and shower curtain. It's cheesy, but it's fun. I enjoyed the theme throughout the hotel. The bar and lounge area were fantastic, warm and inviting with ample seating for our group on very very very comfortable chairs and couches. I had a solid night of sleep, no disturbances from adjacent rooms or outside influences. Free wifi, always a plus.

HOWEVER..

The locks to the hotel room doors were a joke. Fair enough this is a building trying to keep its heritage but to have to carry around a cumbersome key that still takes a solid minute or two of jiggling to open the room, not good. Totally unnecessary really. At least I knew nothing was going to be stolen easily. The dinner/breakfast, not terrible, but far from great. The hotels own brand of beers in the bar were dreadful.

And the showers. My biggest gripe. I tried to shower before retiring to bed for the evening, and the water was either as cold as the Loch Ness or with the tiniest variation in the taps position was as scolding as pouring a freshly brewed jug of coffee over myself. I gave up on it and decided I'd try to shower in the morning. The water choices the following morning had been halved; only Loch Ness coldness was on offer. The hotel had run out of hot water. When inquired about at the front desk after learning many of my fellow travel buddies had the same dilemma, the lady on reception just shrugged it off and said something along the lines of "that's just how things are in an old building". Not good enough whatsoever. She made it sound that our lack of hot water wasn't an isolated issue and something that is a common occurrence. If your hotel isn't equipped to provide enough hot water to every room for a morning shower whether it's at capacity or not (and we weren't staying when the hotel was at capacity I'd like to point out), it has issues. I have never ever come across a hotel running out of hot water, not even in developing third world countries where water is scarce.

And ultimately, unfortunately this massive and completely unforgivable negative is enough to outweigh the few positives this hotel provides. The Loch Ness Lodge has a unique Scottish charm, it's cozy and the couches are comfy. But it also doesn't have much in the way of hot water. And when you're waking up and about to head out for a full day in a cold Scottish autumn, this simply isn't good enough, not in this day and age. It is due to this that the Loch Ness Lodge has the dishonour of receiving my first ever one star review on TripAdvisor. If it wasn't for the shower issue, this hotel would have likely received a 3 star rating from me. Other minor grievances as mentioned are that the food is mediocre and the 'home brand' of beer only serves to get you drunk rather than be enjoyed.

It is absolutely like no other hotel I've ever stayed at, in both a good and bad perspective, mostly bad.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BradFraser
LochNessLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Loch Ness Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your well written review, it actually made me chuckle! It sounds like on the whole you enjoyed your stay but you weren't keen on old fashioned keys or the lack of hot water. Firstly, yes the keys are old fashioned but as you say they keep the rooms safe. The hot water, I can only apologise. As a Three star hotel we don't provide hot water throughout the day, the water is heated on a timer which should allow for showers or baths up until 11am and from 5pm in the evening. I'm sorry that the receptionist didn't take you seriously as it is possible to override the timer and boost the heating. Happy to hear you enjoyed the bar area and had a good nights sleep. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed in the family room while walking The a Great Glen Way, lovely warm welcome despite arriving soaked. More than adequate room and great hospitality. Breakfast cooked to order and just what we needed.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you so much for reviewing The Loch Ness Lodge Hotel. I'm glad we provided some warmth and cheer when you arrived in soaked and gave a good breakfast to get you out on your walk. I hope you had some good weather walking the Great Glen Way and got to enjoy the spectacular scenery along the way. Thank you again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Pulled up in the carpark - looked great. Checked in and headed to the room - impressive heritage building decorated tastefully. Went for a drink in the Bar/Lounge - very cosy and nice. That's where it ended.
A busload of under 35's on tour managed to set off the fire alarm by running hot showers with the bathroom door open - in the words of the fire warden "it happens every week when we get a busload in". Strange that busloads aren't briefed upon check-in and warned of the consequences where every occupant is forced into the carpark in line with fire evacuation procedures! Funny that when you keep doing the same things you keep getting the same results.
On return to the premises after the weekly fire drill sat down for a few drinks and a quiet romantic dinner with my wife (while the busload ate buffet in another part of the hotel). All was shattered when the busload came into the Bar/Lounge to take it over with a quiz session where it was impossible to hold a conversation over the table - exit the romantic dinner. If we had of known that we were going to be subjected to this we would have eaten and given our patronage to a competitor.
Have to agree with other reviewers - our room window was opened when we arrived - not far from the chimneys and room reeked of smoke.
The establishment has so much potential - it is very nice apart from what you have to put up with as a paying guest - time they realised that busloads don't come back and travellers who are able to enjoy their hospitality and environment may. We travelled from Australia to put up with a busload of under 35's - coming from Queensland in Australia we couild have stayed home and spent a night in town to experience what we went through - we came to enjoy what Loch Ness has to offer not what we can get at home.
When we return we will be looking elsewhere to avoid the dissapointment we have endured on this visit to the Loch Ness Lodge - as is the view of other dissatisfied guests that will not return.
Get "fair dinkum" or stick with your busloads as we and other guests feel poorly done by!

Room Tip: Make sure you don't share with a busload that take the place over - avoid mid-week. Avoid rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike R
LochNessLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Loch Ness Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here. It has taken me some time to reply as I wanted to make sure that I could update on the steps we have now put in place to make sure that private guests are not inconvenienced by tour groups. Tour groups are a vital part of our seasonal business and therefore the requirements of both private and tour guests are of equal importance. You are all paying guests and all on a hard earned holiday.
We are informing tours about the sensitivity of our alarm system when they check in to avoid setting the fire alarm off, also we are no longer allowing quizzes to be run in the Pibroch Bar/Restaurant until dinner service has finished.
I apologise on behalf of the Loch Ness Lodge Hotel but I do hope that it didn't spoil your enjoyment of The Scottish Highlands.
It was good to read in your review that you liked the Building and the Decor, it's a bit like a giant shortbread tin and a lovely place to work.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Check in was friendly but slow and the room smelled "dusty". OK, it's 700 years old, but it shouldn't smell like the last occupant was still in there! The bathroom was small and basin was stained. While dinner and breakfast were OK, the wait was unnecessarily long since there were not a million people dining at the time.

It's a bit like "Nessieland" next door ... the service and accomodation need bringing into the 21st century.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gramer999

Thank you for reviewing The Loch Ness Lodge Hotel. I hope you enjoyed your trip in summer 2013 to The Scottish Highlands and took many happy memories home with you.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Took forever to check in, the room was freezing and the radiator didn't t work. Although the hotel is non smoking our room was absolutely reeking of smoke, I'm sure it was due to staff smoking on the fire escape which was just outside our room. We didn't eat there as we were advised not to by another resident but on returning we tried to order some drinks but they only had basic brands and the barman hadn't a clue what he was doing and told us he was new. Very poor overall experience.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank IraqiMac

I'm slightly puzzled by your review as The Loch Ness Lodge Hotel closed for the season at the end of October 2013. There are a few establishments in the local area with similar names - perhaps you stayed there?

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We were left waiting just to check in, then never got anyone on reception by phone or in person, managed to get a table but got bread with no butter, no salt and pepper ran out of wine etc.... Also rooms badly in need of refurbishment, bed very soft, no iron in room and paper cups for a coffee, compared to a similar priced hotel it is very poor, staff were very nice but so overworked and tired it was more of a shambles than anything else.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Martin W

Thank you for your review of The Loch Ness Lodge Hotel. Good to hear that you liked the hotel itself , apologies for your experience of reception, all I can say is that we are a seasonal hotel and in early May we had just taken on new staff who perhaps weren't quite up to speed. I can assure you that now we are in high season reception is staffed from 8am to 10pm. I agree that in some rooms the decor is a little old fashioned, we have a rolling programme of renovations which is ongoing and rooms are charged at different rates to reflect this. I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Highlands and got to enjoy the fantastic scenery on offer here.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

A very enjoyable dinner, bed and breakfast stop over whilst in the highlands on business. Excellent soup and steak with some local Loch Ness Brewery beer to wash it down! A comfortable bed and a decent shower. I'll be back with the family the next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and the 5 stars. We are a family run hotel and it is great to hear when a guest has had a good stay and looks forward to coming back. We look forward to welcoming you again soon - with the family!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Drumnadrochit
The Lovat, Loch Ness
Loch Ness Clansman Hotel
Loch Ness Clansman Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abriachan
Glenurquhart House Hotel

Been to Loch Ness Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!