“Awful!”

Loch Ness Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Drumnadrochit
Reviewed 14 April 2009

No hot water, it was just too cold for a shower so we had to boil the kettle to wash for 2 days. There was hair all over the bath when we arrived and no toilet roll. The room was freezing. The electric heater supplied made the room smell like it was on fire, so we had to turn it off. Way overpriced. Never again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank NorthEast50

Reviewed 11 April 2009

I've never had a whole hotel to my self before so this was unique for my son and I.
We flew to Inverness via Easyjet and collected our car from europcar which was very easy and slick.
We travelled the 30mins to Loch Ness and the lodge is at the top of the loch next to the exhibition centre.
They have their own museum which consists of a small movie theatre but the film was interesting and the staff were very helpfull. As well as looking after the shop they took care of my son and i with the hotel.(keys ect).
The hotel is a little out of date and could do with a uplift but this only added to it's charm and my son loved wondering round the hotel.
It is in a perfect location to visit the area and you must take the Jacobite river cruise to the castle(have a chat with Malcolm who has plenty of local knowledge).
The cairngorms are only 30mins away and we spent a day up their with plenty of snow, it was a wonderfull experience.
To sum up i would recomend this hotel it's not for everyone but has a definate charm about it.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank TelnNick
Reviewed 4 September 2008

We stayed in a superior room (there are two of these) so not sure how it compares with normal rooms (cost £110/night b&b). The room was huge (decor a little overpowering with the tartan but I thought that was quite fun!) with everything you would expect in a decent hotel. Bathroom similarly big and very happy with it.
The staff were extremely friendly and answered all questions easily. The meals were good in the restaurant (thought not exceptional - but good for £22 for three courses) and the waitresses friendly and helpful (to the extent of recommending a wine which was cheaper than the one I was going to buy).
Very, very comfortable bar area which was great to relax in. Their wifi internet access (free) was down when we were there which was slightly annoying but no big deal.
On site is also a visitor centre about the monster - essentially £5 to see some photos and a film - probably worth it as the film is quite tongue in cheek and amusing.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 August 2008

Subject: Loch Ness Lodge
Location: Drumnadrochit, Loch Ness, Scottish Highlands, Scotland, United Kingdom, Europe

Very nice indeed!
Arrived in Loch ness on the second leg of our Tour of the Highlands (my parents birthplace) Sunny, warm and the hotel looked very inviting.

Nowhere booked so popped in here. Daryl on the front desk ~(couldnt have been more helpful)

He allocated us a twin room as requested and yes it was a mixture of Chintz and Tartan, but so what!!? It was clean, the bed linen very white and fresh and we were NOT there to spend time moaning about the decor or the colour of the lavatory!!

£40 for B and B was VERY reasonable, remember you are in one of the biggest tourist attractions in Scotland, so Rip off it is NOT! (find that in London)!

We had a drink in the bar..most welcome and nice and cosy. Went to the Fiddlers for dinner as we wanted a walk round the village, slept like logs, had a fantastic scottish breakfast of Porridge, Juice, Sausage, Egg, Bacon, Mushrooms, tomatoes and black pudding with toast and tea. That set us up for our boat trip on Loch Ness that Daryl organised (£10 each) BARGAIN!!

We left the next day, but when I do another trip, I WILL STAY HERE, and I will stay longer.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Carlyj68
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Was a little aprehensive of going here after reading the reviews but it was already booked so decided to give it a go.
Easy to find with ample parking and check in was quick and easy.
Was advised to book our evening meal if we wanted to eat in the hotel from the set menu at around £23. Seemed rather pricey but was well worth it. The food was delicious-could not fault it at all. The service was very quick and friendly. Breakfast was also of quite a high standard.
The room was dated but was clean and smelt fresh. The shower was warm both days I used it.
I would recommend this hotel to those looking for a quite break away.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2008

We stayed at the Loch Ness Lodge on the recommendation of the Stevensons Hotel Directory which was in the hotel that we stayed at the previous night. Mr Stevenson what were you thinking when you put this hotel in your directory!!! As previous writers have said Faulty Towers comes immediately to mind. We stayed in what they called The Master Suite as they had a coach party coming in. The decor was horrendous a mixture of plaid and mustard greeny yellow walls. The bathroom wasn't too bad but the whole bedroom stank of stale cigarette smoke. We had rung earlier in the day to enquire about availability and cost but hadn't made a booking so we were a walk-in. On the telephone they quoted a special offer with a reduced dinner rate but this offer had disappeared when we arrived two hours later! Dinner was now £22.50 per head.

We went into the bar to have a drink but the ice machine was broken so there was no ice for a gin and tonic so we took a walk into the village and had a really nice meal at The Fiddlers along with the coach party from the hotel who also didn't fancy eating there!

In the morning there was no hot water it was absolutely stone cold so no bath or shower for us!

Breakfast was reasonable but when we entered the restaurant we asked to sit by the window in the sunshine but we were told that it was already layed up for lunch and were told to sit in a corner dark area. This also happened to two other couples who came in after us. It was bold of us to think we were the customers!!!

We asked for a discount on the room and were offered £15. After my husband made it known he was not happy the manageress came out and told us there had been a problem with the boiler the previous night - and they still took our booking knowing they had a problem and said nothing!!! Finally they gave us £35 off.

I will never return to this hotel, how they can say they are a three star is beyond me. The Scottish Tourist Board needs to revisit and amend their recommendations.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Englishtraveller
Reviewed 30 March 2008

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Lodge whilst attending Runrig at Borlum. The management were kind enough to put up the price £30 each night due to the gig and I booked 5 months early, so ended up paying £130 per room b&b.

I hoped to give my wife the treat of the summer by staying somewhere half decent with a little romance - how wrong I was! The room was a clash of patterns, 70s louvre doored wardrobes and the photographs of the 4 poster bed are very misleading, although it looks nice online, I was gutted by our room, but as we had no alternative, I had to accept the poor value for money accommodation!

The room was damp, the bathroom had a shocking olive green suite, you couldn't stand up and face the shower in the bath due to the odd curtain pole arrangement and the room's shape. The toilet rocked when sat on it and as one reviewer above said, the kitchen fan made the smell worse when operating!

The staff are very helpful, polite and everything I expect from a hotel. But being a Scot myself I had hoped that the hotel would live up to the aspirations of a new Scotland. It will have to undergo total refurbishment if it is to compete in it's category and provide value for money.

We chose the Fiddler in town to eat, which was superb. Breakfast was the usual well cooked heart attack on a plate and enjoyable particularly because of the weather in Drumnadrochit!

Overall, a disappointing stay due to the room, however, the staff made up for this and I don't think they were trying too hard, it's just their way.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daisoi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drumnadrochit
The Lovat, Loch Ness
Loch Ness Clansman Hotel
Loch Ness Clansman Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abriachan
Loch Ness Country House Hotel at Dunain Park

Been to Loch Ness Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!