“Just A Pile Of Stones but WHAT a Pile of Stones!”

Corrimony Chambered Cairn
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a 6,000 year old grave of a Pictish princess!

You can crawl in and actually stand in the cairn. The walk along the road is beautiful, there are lovely cows and sheep everywhere, wild flowers, birds - stunning!

3  Thank Alex C

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This cairn is brilliant, plenty of parking just 100m away and the entire cairn is accessible which makes this so much better than others as you can really get a feel for it and get up close and personal..
Great signage and information at the entrance gate explains everything about it, very educational.

1  Thank bradcoll
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our day consisted of driving around Skye and then to Loch Ness for a boat cruise on the Loch and then on to Inverness for the night. After a pleasant ride past Urquhart castle we arrived back at Clansman harbour. My daughter really wanted to see this chambered cairn and I was reluctant as it would have meant backtracking on our journey. Since she was driving, I gave in and we were off to Corrimony. The drive was very pleasant and we came to a place to park. Not far down the road was the cairn. From a distance it looked like a pile of rocks, but there was a neat array of standing stones around it. When we came around we saw the doorway. My daughter crouched down and went in, but I walked around the outside. Unseen until you climb the mound was a round "well" in the middle. In the past it had been roofed with large stones, but was now open so you could look down inside.

It was a very interesting place to visit, and access was free. As we were the only people there, and the late afternoon sun was filtering through the old trees, it was a very special experience, well worth the diversion from our original route.

3  Thank Keith44562666
Reviewed 28 May 2014

What an experience! It was especially meaningful for me as a practicing Druid to visit this ancient passage tomb. Its accessibility and preserved state made it particularly enchanting. There are few places that afford the visitor the unique experience of climbing over, under, and through like at Corrimony Cairn. It is equally a very spiritual place. With the knowledge of my Scottish lineage, I was drawn to this place, as though I were walking upon the grave of one of my own ancient ancestors. As a lover of history, I could not help but wonder at the people who built it, and what hopes and dreams, trials and tribulations they may have faced in life. My love for the land of Scotland is deep. Whether your a Scot or just appreciate the richness of ancient history, make sure you visit Corrimony Chambered Cairn.

2  Thank Josh W
Reviewed 26 May 2014

If you're taking the trip west from Inverness to Loch Ness, via Cannich, it's worth taking the short turn off to see this cairn. Well interpreted, and very well cared for, and there's a parking area close by.

1  Thank Rick M