“Go for the view”

Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Enjoy lunch, dinner or just a drink at The Boathouse Restaurant on the shores of Loch Ness. Open everyday all day 11am - 9pm. Outdoor seating.
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Go for the view”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The setting was right on the water (Loch Ness). The food and service were good. We had a little wait but it was pleasant. There is seating inside and out. We chose inside since it was a little nippy.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Doty J

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh
“Staff were rude”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We recently had lunch and happened to be seated outside. As the food was being served we experienced torrential rain so we asked to be seated indoors. Waiters reaction was a grumble and roll of the eyes. I had a sleeping baby in a pram was told to leave the pram in the hall (out of my sight) I ignored this ridiculous request. The service from the staff was extremely poor, asked for coffee and cake to finish up lunch was told no as they need our table as it was reserved. Place was not even full or busy.
Normally I never write reviews but honestly the dirty looks and unpleasant reactions from what seemed to be the restaurants head waiter made me so disappointed. I'm from Scotland and had family visiting so I took them to what I heard was a lovely place. Sadly the staff failed this ideally set restaurant.
I have 15 years experience in hospitality and I will not be recommending this place.

2 Thank pavilionEdinburgh
Sittingbourne
“Afternoon treat”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Had afternoon snack here after a lovely cruise. I had baileys latte and apple pie with cream. Quite expensive at £30 for 4 deserts and 3 drinks but it was delicious and location was wonderful. Enjoyed our visit.

Rome, Italy
“cute place ok food grumpy service”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Disappointed. Called ahead to book, and first comment was "we close at 9", and I had asked for a table for 2 at 8:30. Got there 8:20. (Other table full of people came later still). Right away found water cold, unsmiling and even pulled a fast one when we asked for water gave us bottled water (and charged for it on the bill later). Nowhere else in Scotland have they done that without asking. Food was so-so, basic, nothing special. But basically a lovely day (elsewhere) was coloured badly by the very unpleasant service at this place. A great location, lovely views, basic food. BAD service attitude, period.

2 Thank 56monkeys
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location, the owners/management need to realise this!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We thought we had found a gem and by rights, it should be. It has to be one of the best locations, with outside seating right on a spit into the Loch and nice views from inside the restaurant. My party, including a disabled gentleman arrived about 3pm I think, with the intention of sitting outside. We were told there was no table service outside, no problem. I went in to order and it was clear there was a language barrier with the guy behind the bar who was a bit surly. I think the owners are probably Turkish (an excuse for the language barrier, not for being surly. Having ordered, I went back outside to find the wind had got up badly and clouds were looming so we moved to sit inside. Im even confused by what happened next, but as we asked for a table we were met with a distinct lack of communication and then told to sit at a table furthest away from the entrance - despite having a disabled gentleman in our midst. Then a man, who I assume is the manager or the owner, came over and told us we would have to hurry up as they had to lay the tables for dinner! Ok, so I assumed they would close the place and go home for a couple of hours? But no, they continued to serve for people outside. I just found this rather bizarre, how long does it take to set up a table with some cutlery and paper napkins. The food was ok, cafe style and we felt forced to "hurry up"! Very strange...this should be a goldmine if someone with the right attitude took it over!!

2 Thank Gail T