“Definitely home-made!”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had received a very unfavourable welcome at The Bothy, having had our name placed on the waiting list and returning at the appointed time, only to be told that reservations are not taken and since we had gone away, someone else had been given our table, so we would "have to wait." We had gone away temporarily, as there was nowhere to stand inside the place. So, we ended up in The Lock inn, and very well pleased we were. The barman acknowledged our presence when we walked in (which made a nice change) and we were able to sit down, in spite of it being a very busy wet Sunday evening in August. There is seating for 40 upstairs, however, so I am sure they would rarely be stuck for space. Everybody who walked in was accommodated. The food was not fast to appear, but that would be because it was freshly cooked, I reckon. I even thought my cooked veggies were fresh. I had steak pie, which was one of the best I have eaten, and my husband had salmon, which was tasty and well cooked. The portions were more than enough, and were well presented. They had quite a few desserts which sounded delicious, but I managed to resist. The meal cost around £30, which I found to be reasonable. The staff were pleasant and polite, which always adds to meals out, for me.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Following quite a hectic day we were fortunate to fall on the Lock Inn. The location is ideal if you want to have a drink outside and relax or if you wish to dine in. There is an offer of a restaurant upstairs that seats 40 or downstairs you can relax in tow with your pooch. The menu was varied with a selection for vegetarians plus a specials board which had a good selection of items including a good variety of tempting desserts. The place was buzzing when we dined at 7pm and then when returned for drinks at 9pm it was still the same. Service was prompt, the food well priced and the portions were fab especially after a long day of travelling. The team working were fairly young - however were very courteous and friendly in their manner at all times. I would definitely recommend this as a place to visit for at least a drink and preferably food as well. On our next visit to the lovely Fort Augustus, The Lock Inn will most definitely be on the top of the list of places to visit.

1  Thank Cynic43
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great food. Potions very big. Situated right on loch side. Best to book table as it gets very busy after 7'clock

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Ate here twice whilst on holiday. Excellent, high-quality food on both occasions. Portion sizes way too big, but fantastic value for money so no complaints. Food came quickly. Fish and chips were ordered on both nights, everyone agreed it was the tastiest, crispiest beer-batter ever! Pretty good atmosphere, very homely. Staff mostly quite friendly. Couthie place with cracking food and drink, and good views of the working locks.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Lock Inn is a charming old building alongside the Fort Augustus locks. The staff were very friendly, though service was a bit slow as the restaurant was busy with dinner service. Food was delicious and enormous, which was excellent after a day of hiking. Good selection of beer on tap, including two cask ales.

Look for the bookshelf in the corner if you're travelling alone.