“Traditional Pub”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We visited a couple of times while staying in the area and each time was very enjoyable. The beer was well kept and the food very tasty and large portions. The table service was very prompt and cheerful, as was the bar staff. All in All and nice traditional pub.

There are newer reviews for The Lock Inn

Reviewed 18 June 2010

This pub caters very well for walkers, cyclists, canoeists and other active holidaymakers, serving good beers and great, simple pub grub. Although its in the largest town in the Great Glen between Fort William and Inverness its still rural Scotland where diet coke is a drink for teenage girls who think they need to loose weight!. Food is simple British and definitely doesn't come off a 3663 lorry; its home cooked and if that means making casseroles and pies out of lumps of meat, even with separate pastry then that's what's you're going to get. Its tasty, good value , hearty and filling. Just what you need after a day's walking!

Reviewed 13 May 2010

It takes a lot for me to complain, but this place; 'The Lock Inn', on Canal Side at Fort Augustus, Loch Ness, really does deserve a slamming for the disgusting 'food' served to my wife and I. Firstly, we ordered 2 diet cokes and the barman dispensed them from those flexy tap things you will have seen, and the drinks were just absolutely flat and with no taste at all. I asked for them to me changed. They were changed but were not much better. The main problem came when we ordered the two main courses for our meal. My wife ordered a steak pie with puff pastry and veg and I ordered a lamb hotpot. About five minutes later the 'food' arrived. It was obvious that our meals had just been microwaved because of the time factor. The steak pie was just some bits of steak and gravy warmed up with a lump of pastry at the side. My 'hotpot' was just lumps of lamb with a few halves of potatoes served with bread and a dish of vegetables.How anybody could describe this as hotpot beggars belief! My meat was cold in some places and hotter in others, which again suggested microwaving. The potatoes were inedible as they were not even cooked. The bread was totally stale and the vegetables were all wrinkled up on the dish. They looked as if they had been placed on the dish then microwaved. They too were totaly inedible. These meals with the drinks cost us £26 and I can honestly say that it was a complete and total waste of money! I wanted to complain, but as it was our anniversary I did not want to upset my wife. I now just want to warn all other potential customers to not even bother going in to this place, It is without doubt the very worst place I have ever dined in my entire life. You have been warned. Stay well clear!!!!

1  Thank Nuthernut
Reviewed 31 October 2009

The Bothy's food and service are great. Staff are pleasant surroundings good and the locals interesting.

Reviewed 19 September 2009

Ate here on first night of holiday .What a mistake! Food processed,undercooked and poor value for money . Thereafter travelled short drives to Invergarry Hotel and Loch Ness Inn where food was home cooked, of excellent quality and reasonably priced.