“Cosy and friendly - The Bothy is aptly named!”

The Bothy Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Cosy and friendly - The Bothy is aptly named!”
Reviewed 4 November 2010

Really can't fault this welcoming establishment. Easy parking and a lovely location. Even the door frames and windows (on the small side - hence the name) add to it's charm.
Excellent, attentive service - particularly from the young waiter.
Very busy when we were in, the restaurant was full up - just like we were on leaving!
The food was first class.
I had my obligatory tasty haggis while my girlfriend had an unusual chicken with cheese meal which went down well.
In a small town like Fort Augustus the competition is fierce for tourists' custom - there are another 5 or 6 prominant restaurants - but the Bothy did a great job in impressing us!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 29 September 2010

My husband and I ate at the Bothy Restaurant on a very busy Sunday night. We were told politely there would be a 10 minute wait for a table and would we like a drink at the bar, our table was ready in 5. My husband is a very fussy eater and choose the steak, it was cooked too perfection and my steak pie was mouth watering. Our young waiter gave us excellent service. We would recommend this restaurant to everyone

London, UK
“Stay far away”
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We had the unfortunate experience of picking this place for lunch during our stop at Fort Augustus. Out of 4 people not a single person received a decent meal, and 2 of the meals were inedible. Their location is convenient and looks inviting, but don't be fooled. This is British food at its absolute worst!

2 Thank john4999
Sydney
“Great salmon at a Fort Augustus local”
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We popped in for a cider and some salmon and were amazed at the large serves. Yes, this is not a 5 star diner; however, the fish was gorgeous and the veg was fresh and nicely cooked. Not as bad as other reviewers suggest - great for families and those wishing for somewhere to relax.

Liverpool
“Good pub grub”
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Previous reviews had put me off the Bothy Bar, but were struggling for somewhere to eat (already eaten at the Lovat twice, had a bad experience at the Boathouse, and McVeans was closed) so it was between the Lock Inn and the Bothy Bar. The latter won as the restaurant conservatory looked more attractive.
The menu was fairly comprehensive apart from the desserts that were almost all puddings of one type or another. This is pub food, those expecting a 'dining experience' will go away disappointed, but those looking for well cooked home-style cooking with generous portions should be happy. For example, my main course came with broccoli, which I was fully expecting to have been murdered in a microwave - but it was still pleasantly crunchy and tasted of broccoli!
The service was very good. The system seemed to run very smoothly, our orders were taken promptly, the food arrived quickly (but not too quickly), and although it was busy we didn't feel either hurried or forgotten. Some of the staff were a little hard to engage, but I think this may have been shyness rather than rudeness, other members of staff
were spot on.
The food is slightly over-priced in my opinion, but not buy a huge amount - and there's not a lot of competition. I'd certainly eat there again