“Not to bed!”

Stravaigers Lodge
and 1 more site!
Stravaigers Lodge
Reviewed 7 September 2012

On the second half of August I was on my grand tour in Scotland. One of my stops happened to be Fort Augustus. I stopped at Stravaigers Loge which is hostel in the town. Not to bad. This environment is only for sleeping. Nothing else. They have a big fat cat which is sleeping all day long and going out for the night. Excellent for visiting Loch Ness. Small tourist town but have something” je ne sais quoi “ which mesmerized me. I love this place. I booked for two nights but I stopped only one. No problem with cancellation, they just simply gave back my money no questions no nothing just whishing me good trip further to Tongue. I love it.
Csilla

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Long hard slog brought us to the little village of Fort Augustus, the tourist slogan for the village - "best kept secret of the highlands" wasn't far off the truth until it was outdone a little later. Originally camping before spotting this hostel, set 5 minutes from the locks, reasonably priced at £17 a head we quickly opted to bunk instead.

Greeted at reception by the REAL best kept secret of the highlands, the wonderful Rachel, epitome of the highland princess. sun gleaming into the waiting room, bouncing off her golden hair as my soggy self patiently waited, creating a puddle from the remnants of Loch Oich still dripping off my "wet proofs". We later seen Rachel at the docks helping a group of English canoeists bring their gear back to the hostel in her own car. Very nice atmosphere, beautiful village and highlight of the 5 day trip.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed here 02/06/2012 and had rooms 4,5 (twin room £22). The rooms were very clean,nice,warm and looks new. It was very quiet area near to Loch Ness lake in Fort Augustus. In the kitchen was everything you need for cooking and breakfast was simple, but fresh. Reception girl was very polite and nice. You have to ask for towels (£1 each). Toilets and showers are in one room, which was very easy, but water was to slow for hair wash so count with more time to wash it. I didn't have any noise or other problems. I really loved to staying in Stravaigers Lodge with my friends. I can recommend this hostel to everyone. <3

Room Tip: Rooms on south side are quite.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed here last week for one night while doing the Great Glen Way. Turned up just before they closed up for the day without a booking and was greeted warmly by the proprietors. At this point we were short of money until the following day and they said it would be fine if we could pay the next day. Informed us of the facilities available, which I found very good, including the showers, which we explained that we did not have towels for the showers. At this point, the lady proprietor provided us with fresh clean towels, which was fantastic. The whole campsite looked clean, tidy and was very quiet. All in all, I would recommend staying here while in Fort Augustus.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I have never posted a negative review before as I work in hostels myself and I know how one sided these reviews can be and how easily things can get negatively misinterpreted for the sake of someone looking for a freebie, however; There is no way that this hostel comes close to 4 stars.

I have stayed in many hostels both in the UK and abroad and this was certainly the most misleading & disappointing. At £22 per person per night out of season (mid March 2012) not only is it expensive but there is nothing to justify the cost. The beds were a series of hard coils & springs that dug into every bone, no bedside lamp/light just a beaming bulb hanging down from the ceiling, the hostel was at full capacity (60+) with two drying clothes for dishes, no washing up liquid, only half a dozen cups to go round and 3 small pans to cook with! People were queuing to get a cuppa! The showers were tepid on a good day and freezing the rest of the time and only half the tables and chairs needed to accommodate everyone.

My boyfriend and I booked because we were part of a canoeing group that was hosting its weekend from the hostel's site (organised and booked months in advance so they knew we were coming!) and guess what? The inadequate one rail drying room was not even operational! Our main reason for choosing the hostel as apposed to camping or B&B was for the use of the drying room as we would all have wet gear. There were a lot of unhappy cold soggy people who couldn't even make a decent meal or have a drink of tea.

When any of these things were mentioned to 'management' we were just met with huffs! To make matters worse on the last night of our 3 night stay we were asked to move rooms as we were the only ones in that lodge and they didn't want to have to clean it just for the sake of two of use!! Why take our booking then? You can only pay cash on arrival too, no cards accepted of any type, bit dodgy?? The only reason I have given any stars at all is that the two girls who I presume were assistants were very friendly and approachable and deserve to work somewhere far better managed.

Room Tip: Choose one in a different hostel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We were not planning to get a hotel in Ft. Augustus because we were camping along the Great Glen Way. It was starting to rain, so instead of camping at Stravaiger's we decided to get a twin room. No frills, but very clean. Breakfast of cereal, bread and juice available in the shared kitchen. Close to the sights in Ft. Augustus. A good value. Although we were next to a common room, it was very quiet. The bathroom was shared and was clean.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fireweed108
Reviewed 17 September 2010

So it wasn't all bad during our stay in Fort Augustus.
The location was good and perfect for daily trips. Probably for persons doing water sports like canoeing the best place to stay.
We had a twin room with two single beds, but the beds were astable, it bounced every single time when moving in bed.
Furthermore the beds didn't have slatted frames, but just wooden boards. The bedsidelamp didn't work.

There were general bathrooms for gents and ladys and they were ok, but i think they had a problem with fresh air in it. And the hand dryer was very loud, if a person used it in the bathroom we were able to hear it in our room.

The kitchen was big and had three cookers.
A light breakfast was included, but when looking at the best before date of the toast it was 5 days ago.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple