Fort Augustus was the unexpected jewel in our recent tour of Scotland. The Lovat made our stay even more special. Formerly a railway hotel, the entrance is a varnished wood panelled porch and is a lovely period piece, with varnished wooden benches. On arrival. the staff were very welcoming, and a pot of tea was provided while we waited for our room to be made ready. The bedroom was well presented, nicely furnished and with a large modern en-suite, which included two wash basins in addition to a bath and shower cubicle. The view was to the rear, so included part of the hotel roof, the vegetable patch and the bin area. But look a bit further out and the canal locks are just visible and the mountains dominate the distant view, so overall. not a bad view and something we didn't worry about too much. We took dinner in the bistro, as the dining room was not open on the nights we were there. This is a pleasant room in a conservatory style, with very efficient service, and a good choice of food. The venison burger is a large portion so beware! Breakfast is also served in the bistro, and there is a wide selection of food including a cold buffet. The food was excellent throughout, as was the service, with friendly attentive staff. The Caledonian Canal is five minutes walk away with a staircase of locks, and to the north is the beginning of Loch Ness, where cruises are available. We spent a whole day walking the canal towpath (The Great Glen Way), in excellent weather. Thank you Lovat, we intend to return at some point!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Victorian property that delicately balances tradition & contemporary. The dedicated team has a drive & passion to deliver an outstanding visitor experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Lovat, Loch Ness reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lovat, Loch Ness Hotel Fort Augustus
- The Lovat, Loch Ness Fort Augustus