“The Lovely Lovat”

The Lovat, Loch Ness
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fort Augustus
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband and I and two other couples stayed overnight at the Lovat as part of our Great Glen Way walk adventure. The Lovat is a stately old hotel set in picturesque grounds with an impressive entry area and common rooms. It is situated in the pretty town of Fort Augustus on the southern end of Loch Ness - well worth an over night visit. We chose the basic level of room which while not spacious had every amenity and was perfectly suited to our one night stay when we would only be sleeping in the room. It proved good value for money. If you were staying longer or spending more time in your room upgrading to a higher level of room would add more to the ambiance of your stay.
We ate in the Brasserie for dinner in the evening and for breakfast. The meals were fantastic and deserving of the good reviews.
Having enjoyed dining in many countries over a number of years I feel that the food at the Lovat (along with our diners and breakfasts at the Rockpool Reserve, Inverness and Monochyle Mhor, Balquhidder, and our breakfasts and afternoon teas at Loch Ness Lodge out of Drumnadrochit) was as good as I have experienced anywhere.
All the staff that we came across at the Lovat were friendly and helpful.
The picturesque setting, the ambiance, the food and the service at the Lovat added greatly to our overall enjoyment of our Great Glen Way experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 July 2014

By my title I mean it was totally amazing like a huge unforgettable huggable monster. My girlfriend and I visited here recently, we were originally booked in for one of the outdoor rooms but thanks to a kind parent of mine we were upgraded to a master room. All I can say is that this room made our holiday more special than it was already.

The room was big, the bed was bigger, it was clean, tidy and most of all the view was spectacular. The staff were friendly and the food... My god, was good. With the exception of a fire alarm at 1:15am on one night... in fact even including that night, we had a great sleep. This was certainly helped by the comfort of the bed.

Breakfast - this was brilliant. Loads of choice, it was tasty and done to both our likings. There were more options on the menu but we decided just for the normal Scottish breakfast.

One really small, but great thing was the little sweets at reception as you went in. They added a cute little touch to the hotel. This is a place I would recommend to friends and family and would certainly visit again.

Thank you to all there!! The only downside, was that we didn't find the monster :(

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Quiet hotel, clean rooms and great food. Celebrated our Wedding Aniversary there, and took the 5 course surprise menu. The food was presented in such away, one could tell that the food was prepared with passion. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and we felt like VIP's. I can highly recommend the Lovat hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

You cannot beat The Lovat for an introduction to the beautiful Loch Ness. This is a family-owned hotel and was incredibly well run. I was with a tour group and our dinner service was efficient and non-intrusive. The public rooms are homey, comfortable and nice to unwind in. Rooms were clean with terrific bathrooms. I will return for a longer visit in future.

Room Tip: Try for an upstairs room off the parking lot for a little less outside light coming in.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2014

A very attractively furnished hotel very close to the centre of Fort Augustus. Good staff, comfortable and spacious communal areas, fine restaurant and good breakfast with a wide choice What more can you want.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bpete319
Reviewed 28 June 2014

A few years ago my wife and I ate in the restaurant at the Lovat Arms and enjoyed it. When we went back to Fort Augustus with another couple we decided to stay here. The restaurant is not the only good part of this hotel. Everyone with whom we came in contact was friendly and helpful. Our room (#15) was comfortable and the spacious bathroom was great. It looked recently remodeled. My wife enjoyed the huge tub. Our friends said their bathroom was not as large as ours but, were compensated with a better view than we had. The staff in the restaurant was prompt and attentive but, not overly so. If you are in town I highly recommend the Lovat.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank petfoodguy
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Staying in Fort Augustus provided us a central location for exploring all of Loch Ness, along with a day trip to Skye, and eastward into the national parks....The Lovat provided us this location, but a whole lot more. Their accommodations were excellent, including nice common areas with fireplaces and a restaurant with very high quality meals.
The staff was not only very helpful, but extremely friendly and interested in assuring that we had a wonderful time! I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Invermoriston
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
#3 of 21 in Fort William

Been to The Lovat, Loch Ness? Share your experiences!