1,332 results
All reviewswet roomcookiesloch nessthe main hotellovely hotelstation roadunderfloor heatingfine diningopen firelarge bathroomlovely touchfood was amazingboth nightslittle toucheslovely roomcaledonian canala lovely stay
Reviewed 5 January 2018

We stayed at the Lovat on our way back from the Highlands and en route to working at a music festival in Glasgow. When we telephoned the hotel en route to confirm our arrival time, having had no signal all morning, to be told that yes we could have dinner but we could not have the usual discount for dinner given to residents, as we had not telephoned them by a certain time, I explained that we had been travelling through the highlands since early morning and that I had telephoned as soon as we could, and certainly prior to the 6pm mentioned in the e mail offer they had sent me, but the man I spoke to was adamant that we could not have the 20% discount. I confirmed the time for our table, and decided to discuss it when we were there.
The room was disapppointing, very small and looked tired, but as we had been told that it was the last available room when we booked, we did not ask to change, We promptly dropped off our things and went out to walk around the area. We returned in the evening just before dinner, which was OK but certainly not fine dining, and after a few drinks we decided to go to our room, because we had a great deal of work to do for the start of the festival the next morning and we had an early start, and a big few days ahead.
When we got to the room we noticed there were dark marks on the headboard where people had sat against it, and the valance around the bed had something spilled on it and was dusty. There was also dust behind and around the bedside table and under the rear of the bed. (I have photos of this that I will upload soon)
We did not complain as it was late, we had been told we had the last room available when we booked, and we just needed to get straight on with our work and get off early the next morning.
I draped 2 towels over the headboard so we did not touch the headboard,, we got showered and ready for bed, and we both sat in the bed to work on our laptops. No internet. We called down and a lady came up twice to try to sort out the issue. We finally got an intermittent signal about 2 hours later, and slowly started to plough through all the work we had to get done.
After a few hours an alarm started to go off, and all the electrics went off in the hotel, except the emergency lighting. The whole hotel was awake. The team at the hotel could not sort it out, as it needed a specialist to reset and look at the electrics.This took a few hours during which the whole hotel was awake and we could neither work nor sleep.
Eventually it was sorted, and desperate for sleep, we grabbed a few hours sleep, set the alarm for 6am to get some more work done, and went down for breakfast. We did not see any managers at breakfast to speak to, so we packed our things and came down to check out. The person doing the check out made no mention, or any apology for the disturbance or inconvenience of the night before, and so we asked to speak to the manager.
We told the owner of our experience, and our disappointment in our stay, and we said that we had been unable to work due to the internet issues initially and had only had a few hours sleep because of the nights disturbances, and we thought it only right that she refund a portion of our nights stay. She was immediately defensive, said that we should have come and sat in the lounge area if we had issues in the room with internet. (I explained we were in our PJs working and it was late when we started to work (after 10pm) but she just kept repeating herself. She handled our complaint so badly. We asked her what she proposed to do, as we had not had much sleep, due to the problems at the hotel, and she offered us some coffee and biscuits! It was an insult, and it was honestly as though she was deliberately trying to offend us. She was not listening to us at all, and just kept saying ' what do you want me to do?' I kept saying, knock something off the bill, or knock of last nights dinner as an acknowledgement that they had failed to deliver even a good nights sleep, and she kept saying that was not reasonable, and In the end, as we needed to leave for Glasgow to work, we paid our bill in full (she did not reduce the room by one penny!).. We asked her to at least honour and apply the 20% residents discount as advertised, but she refused to do this and gave us just 10% off dinner instead. Another let down in her customer service (please see attached image showing the offer that was e mailed to me when I booked) We left it that she would have a think about the feedback we had given her, and whether she thought it fair that we paid over £200 for a room, but were kept awake for hours by an electrical fault and in addition could not work as planned, and as she had our e mail address, so could e mail us a proposal or a refund and to my absolute astonishment, we have never heard from her again.
We have never ever felt so disrespected by someone who is supposed to be good at customer service. She ignored what we said, and would not accept any fault in the hotel or how she had dealt with us. She did not give us the full early bird 20% discount on the dinner as promised, but begrudgingly agreed to give us 10% off dinner as if she was doing us a favour. We could not be bothered to argue any further with her. Terrible customer service and terrible value for money. This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. We left exhausted, and terribly disappointed by her dismissive attitude and total lack of empathy for our awful experience.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
7  Thank frankum62
Reviewed 4 January 2018

We had a fantastic stay over Xmas including lunch on Xmas day. The rooms and common areas like the residents lounges, with open fires, are fabulously decorated with period furniture. The bedrooms are also very well equipped. Everywhere is spotless. I cannot speak too highly of the staff. Every single one was friendly, super efficient and all worked together superbly as a team. The result of that means that the service is first class and you feel completely relaxed because of how smooth the service is. The food is also excellent, breakfast, lunch or dinner. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. I know this area very well and this is definitely the best for miles around.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Q6428CAAlex
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

We had a deluxe room which was an unusual layout with a small ‘ante room’ that you entered into with the bathroom off one side and the bedroom off the other side. The bedroom was quite small - very easy to hit your head on the sloped ceiling at the side of the dormer window but lovely view across the Loch. Breakfast excellent- good buffet selection for cereals and cold food plus very tasty cooked dishes. The Brasserie was definitely worth visiting for dinner - lamb shoulder and beef cheek cooked to perfection and very tasty.

Stayed: December 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Me and my family stayed here 26/12/17 until 28/12/17 room 25. Could not have asked for a better hotel! Our room was spotless and very spacious considering we were a family of 2 adults and 3 children. Bathroom is very spacious with shower and separate bath which was huge! Room fully equipped with everything you need. Staff were very friendly and helpful and breakfast both mornings was amazing could not have asked for more.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 December 2017

The Lovat is well located in Loch Ness and makes an ideal base for walking or sightseeing in the surrounding area. You can't escape the fact that Loch Ness is a tourist trap, but the surrounding countryside is beautiful. The hotel is smart and tastefully furnished, and bedrooms well equipped with everything you need to make your stay comfortable.

However, for us, the hotel had something of a corporate feel to it, rather than being a family run hotel and we didn't feel anything more than anonymous hotel guests. As a result, we wouldn't choose the Lovat on a return visit to the area.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple