“Friendly owner, staff and Fantastic food.”
Review of Bank House B&B

Bank House B&B
Ranked #5 of 26 Fort Augustus B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Stayed here from the 5-9th May and it was superb. The Bank House is a brilliant place to stay in Fort Augustus. Situated where you can see the Caledonian Canal and watch the boats going through the lock gates. Nearby there are great places to eat and great wee gift shops, staff everywhere are friendly and welcoming. Went on a cruise of Loch Ness which is on the edge of the village, very enjoyable and scenic. Saw the monster! The owners of the Bank House are very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. The breakfasts are superb and always a great selection, in fact Sheila will make you whatever you want, porridge is delicious and the cheese and cold meat breakfast is very tasty. She also makes delicious cake, the only place I've ever stayed where cake is left in your room with biscuits too!! It's a beautiful, cosy, happy and welcoming home, will hopefully return.

Room Tip: Canal view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lena58
Sheila b, Owner at Bank House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Thank you for the lovely comments.It was a real pleasure to have both you and your Dad staying with us for a few days. It is great to know that you enjoyed the breakfast and especially the cake; although in this instance I can't take credit for the cake as my daughter, Rachel, baked whilst you were staying.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Loads of space in the room - perfect for organising the kit for our Great Glen Way walk. Food great too especially the cake we got on arrival with a massive pot of tea.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Sheila b, Owner at Bank House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Andy and I are pleased that the room provided all that you needed to sort out your walking gear. Bank House is so close to the Great Glen Way we always welcome bookings from walkers, cyclists and canoeists. Hopefully at the end of a tiring day we can provide a warm welcome with a pot of tea/coffee and cake. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Was sad to see that Mike had sold out. We really enjoyed our stay with him and his helpful suggestions were right on target. We loved the views of Loch Ness from our room and the Caledonian Canal from the dining room and turret. Our daughter wanted to move in permanently! Hopefully the new owners can keep up the unspoiled atmostpher.

Room Tip: We liked the room with the Loch Ness view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

I hope that if you visited Bank House again you would approve of the changes that we have made. The refurbished Turret Room provides a spacious and comfortable room for guests with spectacular views of both the canal and Loch Ness. It is certainly a peaceful place to while away a few hours watching the boats moving through the loch or simply relax with a good book or the newspaper.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was by far our favourite overnight stay during our walk along the Great Glen Way. The hospitality was great and the room was fantastic with great views of the locks in Fort Augustus. The breakfast was unbelievable with home made potatoe cakes and a great selection for both full traditional and also lighter contintental choices. Our packed lunches were great value and included home baking which was also in our room on arrival. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive comments. We have tried hard to provide a wider choice at breakfast; not everyone wants a full cooked breakfast especially if you are away for a few days. By asking you to choose the main course of breakfast the night before we can offer a wider choice including daily 'specials' additionally this helps us to reduce waste.
We enjoy baking and are really pleased that guests seem enjoy our cakes. Packed lunches can always be provided when order the night before.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We found this B&B during a previous stay in Fort Augustus and so glad we did. The proprietors, Sheila & Andy were extremely helpful and friendly and our room was very comfortable. Lovely touches just made my birthday trip more enjoyable. On arrival, freshly home made cake was left in our room which we thoroughly enjoyed! Our room had beautiful double aspects with one side overlooking the Caledonian canal, and the other, a view of Loch Ness. Sheila was able to give us directions to the scenic route to inverness which we found breathtakingly wonderful. We will return to the Bank house very soon for hopefully another memorable trip.

Room Tip: The 'Turret' Room has been newly refurbished and has beautiful views
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Andy and I are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us to celebrate your birthday. Fort Augustus and the surrounding area are certainly beautiful and there are countless beautiful routes to explore.
We refurbished the Turret room over the winter months, we now serve breakfast downstairs in the dinning room, whilst saving our legs running up and downstairs we are pleased to be able to offer an en suite room which overlooks the canal and Loch Ness.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I found this B&B by chance on internet and I’m very glad we were able to stay. We stayed there my husband and our daughter.
The B&B is run by Sheila and Andy, who had taken over the place only a few months before. Since that time they had carried out a full refurbishment. Our family bedroom was very nice: warm, with a comfortable bed and en suite facilities (and homemade cake!). The breakfasts were great. Both Sheila and Andy couldn’t have been more friendly especially when they learned that our daughter had been sick, they even proposed to take our time before leaving in order for her to feel better. The Caledonian Canal and Loch Ness are both nearby, unfortunately many shops, pubs and restaurant were closed in February but we’ll definitely return !

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about Bank House. As one of our first guests, following our re decoration, we appreciate your comments. We aim to provide a warm and welcoming atmosphere especially on what was a bleak and cold February day.
Offering a later check out when we learned that your daughter was unwell provide no difficulty for us. Occasionally some circumstances require flexibility and understanding.
It was lovely to meet you and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

I found this B&B by chance, having not booked any accommodation for my trip around the Highlands (I had a sleeping bag in the car, just in case...). Luckily there was a room available here, and I’m very glad I was able to stay.
The B&B is run by Sheila and Andy, who had taken over the place only a few months before. Since that time they had carried out a full refurbishment, with new carpets and decoration throughout. My bedroom was very nice: warm, spacious, with a comfortable bed and en suite facilities (and cake!). The building itself is quite unusual, being the former home of the manager of the adjoining bank (which is still open for a few days per week), and as a consequence the place seemed a “cut above” the usual B&B.
The breakfasts were great. Sheila made sure I had plenty to eat, and really went out of her way to make sure I enjoyed the food – not particularly easy, given my non-pig diet. Both Sheila and Andy couldn’t have been more helpful, giving me tips on where else I could stay on my trip home, which proved very useful.
The Caledonian Canal and Loch Ness are both nearby, as are a number of pubs, shops and a post office with cash point. All in all, Fort Augustus, and Bank House, will provide everything you need for a great time. Perhaps the greatest indication of my appreciation of this place is that I chose to stay a second night after my arrival, and I stayed once again on my way down from the north – and I’ll definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

It was a real pleasure to meet you and we were thrilled that you stayed an extra night on your way back home. The weather in February can be dark and cold so we tried hard to make Bank House a warm and welcoming place to visit.
Special diets are no problem, especially if you make us aware on check in. With a little notice we can usually offer a couple of choices for breakfast. It was a pleasure to cook kedgeree and kippers for you which are now a regular feature of the daily menu choice.
We were glad to hear that you had arrived safely back in Wales despite the snowy road conditions. We look forward to meeting you again if you are in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Augustus
#1 of 10 in Fort Augustus
Richmond House Hotel
Richmond House Hotel
#15 of 26 in Fort Augustus

Been to Bank House B&B? Share your experiences!