Review Highlights
Nicest of the tourist shops

Stopped here to see the small information centre about the building of the canal. Nice cakes in the... read more

Reviewed 7 August 2018
minsterman66
Chippenham, United Kingdom
History in a blink

The centre has live shows to give visitors a real taste of life as an early Highlander. With part... read more

Reviewed 27 May 2018

from US$108.92
from US$63.76
from US$63.76
More Info
All reviews small shop live shows living museum historical interest harris tweed various pieces real taste great fun boat ride loch ness kilt highlander souvenirs presenter highlands anthony distilleries
Reviewed 3 January 2017

Took in a show here as part of a highlands tour and really enjoyed it. It was a one-man show showcasing kilts and weapons. I don't remember the gentleman's name but he was very funny, informative and engaging. I had no idea kilts were such a complicated garment and the weapons of the time could cause so much destruction!

4  Thank Andrea M
Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

Nice selection of gifts in the shop.
£8 for two adults to see the half hour film was a bit steep given what we got.
Film was interesting in parts but there was too much imagery with little historical commentary. What did the 'woman folk' do? Where did the watermelons come from in the early 18th century? Not sure of the history of the watermelon but it's been bugging us ever since providing ongoing amusement and a topic for debate.

Date of experience: October 2016
LAStoddart, Owner at The Clansman Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2016

Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you didn't enjoy the film very much. As you can imagine it is difficult to cram all the history into 30 minutes and we therefore restricted it so some of the main parts, ie. the scenery, the Feilidh Mhor and the weapons as this is generally what people are looking for. What did the women do?- hard physical work, cooking, cleaning, making and mended and bearing children (much and such as now and also as now, not given much importance unfortunately) With regards to the watermelons - yes you are right - these did not exist in the Highlands in the 18th century and I am glad they provided a bit of amusement. I think we would have got into serious trouble if we had used heads and these seemed like the best substitute! Although the film was based on fact, you may recall the end of the film also included a bit of light hearted amusement! Again, sorry you didn't feel it was worth the money but again, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Reviewed 5 October 2016 via mobile

Nice location on canal small shop so try get in when it's not busy! Has nice choice of local gifts I brought myself a pair of beautiful green marble earings and my friend treated herself to a ring

Date of experience: September 2016
LAStoddart, Manager at The Clansman Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2016

Hi there. Thank you for your review. Glad you liked the shop. I assume you and your friend purchased from the Scottish Green Marble range. Lovely jewellery. Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 September 2016

Went here to round out my "friends & family" gift buying and was not disappointed. The selection was better than I would have thought for such a small town. Yes, it is "tourist tat" but that's what I was looking for. The gentleman at the register was very helpful when I asked about ancestors from the highlands, looking up unusual surnames for me and suggesting places for further research.

There is a short (~30 minute) film about the old ways in the highlands, sometimes introduced by a man in highlands dress, but we did not do that, so I can't comment on the quality.

Date of experience: September 2016
LAStoddart, Owner at The Clansman Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2016

Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your visit to the Clansman Centre. Perhaps next time you could watch the film or maybe even the show.

Reviewed 21 September 2016 via mobile

This little shop of treasures was a joy to look around. The man behind the til was chatty and helpful, nothing was too much. The only downside is the fact that nobody is interested in coming to learn the heritage of this beautiful place so the shows they used to put on can not run. This is not a complaint for the shop or the people who run it, but for the ignorant people who dont care about the things that made Scotland what it is.

Date of experience: September 2016
LAStoddart, Owner at The Clansman Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2016

Hi there. Thank you so much for your positive review and I am glad you enjoyed looking round the shop. Sorry about the shows, we would love to hold them on a regular basis but as you say, it is getting the interest until then we can only accommodate the group visits. Thank you again.