“9 holes”

Fort Augustus Golf Club
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Very friendly lady on first visit.returned next day and payed by " honesty box"delightful course with pleasant views

1  Thank Yorksk9

Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is a testing little course which requires accurate driving. It is in pretty good condition though I found the greens a bit slower than they looked. The greenkeeper was very friendly and helpful. There was one other person on the course - nice if you don't want to be held up (and who does?)
Although I only played round once, it was clear that the siting of different tees for the same holes would make the second round feel different and possibly present new challenges. I'll be back!

2  Thank Merlin9646
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We found this course close to our resort in Great Glen/Loch Oich - this was the first 9 hole course we played in all of Scotland!
We greeted a few of the club members upon arrival from walking up to the clubhouse from the parking lot. We eyed the first tee and looked for a practice green to set down our clubs alongside of, then we went in to pay and get a golf score card and a few tips from the club champ....
They were all focused on the football match on TV, so we paid the secretary and went on our way with card in hand.
One chap, who had a long white beard, wished me luck as he pointed out the two sets of colored tees for the front and "back" nine users. He watched and cheered as I drove a 3 wood about 250+ yards toward the green in the fairway of first hole - I would see him again near the eigth green with a smile and a brew..
This was a very nice well kept challenging course with tough greens and touch pin positions that evening in late September, it was comfortable, near 65 degrees and calm. Some gorse proved better than me on several early holes, I needed my coaches eyes to help me find my errant ball often. Near the last 4 or 5 holes, I was very lucky and accurate so the ball was in play and in front of us the rest of the round. A successful long, long par 3 7th hole, then led via several property gates and pathways, to a unique blind shot to the 8th green, after an average drive, a short approach shot, I then plopped a wedge to a few inches past the cup, maybe rimming it on the way by, then Audrey put the par on in the hole for me as some club members had come out from the TV (half time of title match game?) and all lined up in a putting contest of thier own on the 9th green!
We patiently walked from the green to the final teebox of the day, a short par 3 named Wee Drappie (close to the front door of the clubhouse) awaited us. We must have watched a dozen chaps hit a put or a chip to the hole, but could not see it due to the nature of the blind tee to green sightlines so popular in Scotland link designs. It was a severe angled green front to back and also had a shelf from the far right to the middle of the green, my drive went far right just off the green by a few inches, this was not really a makable put (it was 60+ feet on that bizarre angle)...but I asked for help, got a few "yea good luck looks" and went to it, and got very near the hole on the attempt with a few minor oohhs as it was that close...I tapped in the par to more congrats from the club members and my wife/coach too! A great day in Scotland golf for us both!

1  Thank WmnAud
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Husband enjoyed a good game of golf and I enjoyed the walk and the stunning views. Very few others on the course. Club house closed so paid by the honour system too.Easy to lose balls. A ridiculous par 3.

2  Thank Lynn P
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband played a round almost entirely alone. He said there was one other couple playing when he was there. Paid on the honor system in an envelop through the door slot. Fairways in the process of being mown by sheep. Very quaint

1  Thank KeenTraveler47