“Not a five star but you can't beat the view”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Invermoriston
Loch Ness Highland Lodges
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The Loch Ness Holiday Park is set in a beautiful location right on the edge of the Loch.

We stayed in one of their 'Hobbit Houses' - which is a simple but fantastic alternative to camping in a tent.

The facilities include a fridge, heater and electric plug sockets. There is a double bed and two singles - you must provide your own bedding though.

The park itself caters for caravans / camper vans and from the website, also has luxury lodges.

The facilities are basic and what you'd expect from a typical 'campsite' but good - there's a toilet and shower block (temperamental heat) pay as you go hair dryers (20p for a good length of time), laundry (the tumble dryer takes a lot of spins to dry your clothes but there are 2 washing lines and pegs provided)

It cost us £35 as a couple to stay night in the hobbit house and having spent 4 days in a tent it was a welcome relief to have a solid base to get ourselves sorted out.

There's a bar on site too which was closed when we stayed - this didn't affect us as we'd brought our own drink, but speaking to another resident, they had chosen the site specifically for its bar facilities and were put out that they'd had to walk around a mile and a half to the nearest town to buy some.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Sam O, Marketing at Loch Ness Highland Lodges, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Hi guys, thanks so much for leaving a positive review of your stay in our Hobbits last summer. I thought I'd let you know the site is undergoing refurbishment this winter with completely new shower and toilet blocks going in, so this should solve the temperamental water heating, and as of March 2014 our bar and restaurant will be fully functional too - come and pop along in 2014 and let us know how it compares!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

There is no denying how beautiful the location and scenery is here. i am in the middle of my hols with my teenage and toddler son and it is so bad. the bar and cafe/restaurant are closed therefore there is no access to pool tables, food or shops they are all closed. This is not the place to book if you have young children as there is a fifteen foot droop into the loch from our pitch no safety fences at all. the staff do not give a damn either. when my husband mentioned that the bar was closed he was told "you will be fine". its sad that because this could be a wonderful site if they cared!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank julie l
Sam O, Marketing at Loch Ness Highland Lodges, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

I am so sorry that you found the park unsuitable for your holiday due to the facility closures this summer. We recognise that having the lounge bar, restaurant and pool room advertised on the website this summer when they were not open misled many people and led to disappointment.

We have decided that this winter we shall close the park after Christmas and New Year for a full refurbishment, so that all on-site facilities are improved, fully stocked and staffed for re-opening in March 2014. In the interim none of these facilities are being featured on the website, so as not to mislead anyone else booking on the merits of the site's facilities.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We've just returned from a fantastic 10-night stay in Lodge No4 and we're already missing the amazing views! The surreal calmness, beauty and tranquility of getting up in the morning and sitting on the verandah decking, overlooking the world's most famous loch, is an experience to cherish. The lodge IS quality too - built and manufactured to a very high standard with a host of top drawer features like a hot-tub (again overlooking the loch out on the decking), TV in every room (yes, including the bathroom, which also has a spa-type bath with jets) and all furnished and decorated in a pleasing, quality, contemporary style. Also, there are only eleven lodges here, giving it something of an exclusive feeling - unlike your wall-to-wall caravan parks which seem to cram a sea of units into a limited space. What about the staff? One word: lovely. It is managed by a friendly, welcoming and extremely helpful couple called Kath and Doug who really made us feel at home. Rob, the owner, seemed like a nice chap too. I think you would have to be a bit of a Victor Meldrew NOT to like this place or to find fault with it - especially if you are staying in one of the lodges. A beautiful lodge sitting on Loch Ness is a rare gem I think and our ten nights simply weren't enough - particularly as the weather made the Algarve feel cold!! I'm not saying it will always be that sunny or warm as when we just stayed but beauty's beauty and this place is Premier League where views and scenery are concerned. Most of the locals seemed very nice too and there are some delightful little places nearby like Fort Augustus (which somehow reminded us of Bourton-on-the-Water in the Cotswolds, not far from where we live and Drumnadrochit. Our 21 year old daughter and 22 year old son who came in their own car ventured further afield to places like John o'Groats, Elgin and Applecross and loved it too. Did we see Nessie? Well, I think she was running shy of us, so no lol! As in the words of The Proclaimers song, I would drive 500 miles to this place - well, 472 to be precise, but it's close enough! Having stayed in Portugal, Italy (near Venice) and just about everywhere across England and Wales, this lodge offered the best view ever.

Room Tip: Try and go for a lodge, not a hobbit, as cute as they are.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank SlumpedFrog

Thanks so much for your raving review - highly complimented by our views being better than that of Portugal and Italy, but we've got to agree. There's no place like Loch Ness, and it sounds like you got here during our heatwave too. How perfect. It'd be great to have you back sometime in 2014!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Wow. Fantastic location and as per my title, you get your own piece of Loch Ness - true bliss! Well worth the stay, we stayed in Lodge 4 (not by request, just by luck though it seems to have a good rapport on Trip Advisor!) We booked back in January to stay in July 2013 thinking because of the location, the lodges would be filled pretty quickly, not the case, we heard of some guests making same-day bookings so definitely worth phoning up if you want a last minute break in Loch Ness!

The lodge itself was fantastic, offering a living room with open-plan kitchen area, looking out onto the Loch, two bedrooms, a double (with en-suite bathroom/shower) and a twin and a main bathroom with spa bath and television. Both bedrooms also have televisions but the downside is they are all connected to the Sky (satellite television service) box in the front room, so you have to watch whatever is on in the living room, but this didn't really affect us!

I should also point out that lodges come with either a dishwasher or washing machine, not both so if you have a general preference it is best to check when you book. Lodge 4 had a dishwasher though we were able to use the on-site laundrette (named Dot Cotton's Laundrette!) and the washing lines round the back of reception so this was not a problem.

Outside, you have decking space, a hot tub (perfect for relaxing after a long day sight-seeing!), a barbeque and outdoor seating with your own staircase and secluded area down to the Loch. Whilst I didn't manage to take many photographs of the interior, I have some of the Loch and the exterior which I have attached to my review.

In terms of accessibility, beware if you are using the sat nav, the postcode destination is actually some houses a few hundred yards up the road, the site is well signposted and sits just off the A82 between Fort Augustus and Invermoriston. Whilst there is no bar or shop on site, this did not matter to us as we had (and I would also recommend) stopped off at Morrisons in Fort William which is visible from the A82 (opposite McDonalds) en-route to the holiday park and stocked up, it's much nicer to sit on your own lodge decking with a cold, refreshing pint looking out onto the Loch I think!

In terms of sight seeing, here are some of the places I visited during my stay (and I'm sure you can find out more about them on TA)...

- Fort Augustus ~5 miles/10 mins: A few gift shops, a mini supermarket + petrol station. Also a great chippy, they cook the fish and chips fresh while-you-wait so unlike other chippy's you don't get the left-overs from lunchtime! Also it's well worth a boat tour up Loch Ness (about £12 for an adult), the cruise boat will take you on a loop from FA to just before the holiday park, whilst a speed boat takes you to Drumnadrochit and back.

- Drumnadrochit ~14 miles/20 mins: Home to the historic Urquhart Castle (well worth a visit) and also the Loch Ness Exhibition Centre, a guided tour which gives an insight into the different theories and explanations behind the Loch Ness Monster, video showcases of eyewitness accounts and some Nessie trivia! Also a few good gift shops here.

- Inverness ~28 miles/40 mins: Nothing too special about Inverness really, it's just like your average city centre with usual high street stores etc, though the indoor Victorian Market was interesting.

- Ben Nevis ~43 miles/65 mins: We took a trip up to the Ben Nevis range via cable car. Although you don't quite get to the highest peak at Ben Nevis, the cable car terminates at Aonach Mor which is 4,006ft/1,221 metres above sea level. Perfect for walking/sight-seeing, there is also a restaurant, gift shop at the top of the mountain and discovery centre/exhibition giving background info on Ben Nevis range which is well worth a look.

- Elgin/Fochabers ~70 miles/2 hours: Whilst we ran out of time to stop in Elgin, driving through it looked like quite a nice place with museums and a visitor centre. Fochabers which is just down the road is home to the Baxters factory (soup), where they offer a wide range of soups (+ flavours you can't buy in the supermarkets) and a small exhibition/shop.
If you're into sealife then take a trip to the Scottish Dolphin Centre (about 10 minutes up the road) for a tour of an ice-house and a chance to spot dolphins and whales.

- Bealach na Bà/Applecross Road ~80 miles/2 hours: Not for the faint hearted but if you like a challenge and a good drive then definitely head up to Bealach na Bà, a single-track road with steep inclines and hairpin bends up to the peak which is 2,054ft/626 metres above sea level. There is a viewpoint and car park at the top so take a pair of binoculars.
If you're not sure about this road then type it into Youtube, there are plenty of videos showcasing it! There isn't too much in Applecross village itself other than a pub and some nice scenery but we stopped for lunch on the way back to Invermoriston in Loch Carron with a shop and tea-rooms.

- Glenlivet Distillery ~81 miles/2 hours: You can't not come to the highlands without a tour of a distillery. The Glenlivet is one of the older distilleries in the region and offers a comprehensive and highly informative tour which is completely free of charge, too! Great whisky and even managed to buy myself a small bottle of Glenlivet 18 (years of age) malt whisky.

- John o' Groats ~150 miles/3 hours 30 mins: If you're a bit more ambitious like me and don't mind driving a bit then why not take a trip up to John o'Groats (the most northerly point on UK mainland)? Following the coastal route along the A9 was very picturesque and you pass through some quaint little villages/town en-route.
Unlike Lands End in Cornwall, this hasn't been theme-park-ized and is very scenic, you can see the Orkney Islands from the mainland on a clear day. A few good gift shops and places to eat plus the famous signpost for a photograph!

The trips and excursions mentioned above of course, it depends really on what sort of holiday you are after but I'm sure there are many alternatives. The reception at Loch Ness Holiday park is full of leaflets and there is a huge tourism guidebook in the lodge if you're stuck with things to do.

Special thanks to Kath and Doug at the park who are really friendly and welcoming and escorted us to our lodge giving us a tour and guidance on how to use the hot tub.

As for the complainers on TA; well, each to their own but I would strongly beg to differ with some of the negative remarks. If it's Las Vegas you're after, then this is not the holiday for you!

I think it's safe to say we will most definitely be back - the only disappointment was having to come home!

Room Tip: Ask for lodge 4, this seems to have a good rapport with TA reviewers and I can back that up! Though...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank SamS432

Thanks for your review from your stay with us last year, and your positive comments are very much appreciated! I think quite a few people find that many destinations in the highland of Scotland aren't quite where the Sat Nav says they are - but as you say, we've made it very clear from the road where we are with our signage. Sounds like you had a jam packed stay with us, but there's always more to do in the highlands, so I hope you'll come back again - maybe try some more of the Whisky Trail, head over to Chanonry Point for some dolphin spotting or travel out to the Isle of Skye and the breathtaking Cullin Mountain range there if you don't mind the drive! See you in 2014?

Reviewed 10 July 2013

This was our 1st time in a hobbit and if we are back in loch ness again it will be the 1st place I book. absolutely loved it. we were in hobbit 8 frodo (each hobbit house has a name) inside is very simple, 1 double bed at the end and 2 singles at each side. Complete with kettle and fridge and electric sockets, you have to take your own bedding, we took our double sleeping bag which suited us just fine, I had a great nights sleep, very comfy and warm too. there is a heater for chilly nights but we didnt need it. The view is great, you have your own decked area from the door looking directly over the loch, perfect for sitting out on (take chairs). We also loved the fact you can walk down the steps to the water, perfect for a paddle, but watch out for nessie :) Ive read some of the other reviews where they are moaning about no curtain at the door but no one walks past the fronts of the hobbits so its not really anything to worry about. Toilet wise at 1st i thought 2 loos wasnt very good, its a fairly decent size site so was a little worried id be waiting a while, not that I did and I even managed to get a hot shower in the morning. It was only when we were leaving we noticed another toilet block. All in all I would highly recommend, great change from camping. We went July 3rd so just out of season so didnt get chance to sample the bar area.

Room Tip: All hobbits had great views so dont worry about getitng a certain one
2  Thank Vampybabe

Thanks for your great review from the end of last summer's season with us. Really glad you enjoyed your stay. It'd be great if you could come back again in season and try out all of our newly refurbished bar and restaurant facilities! Hope you can make it some time!

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Fantastic stay, great alternative to camping, warm,clean and comfortable and not expensive. Toilet & showers clean & tidy, staff very friendly and helpful. Great stay , looking forward to another visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kam100_61

Thanks for leaving such a great review - sorry it's taken us so long to say so.
Really glad you enjoyed the stay, and we hope you can join us again in the 2014 season after all our winter upgrades and refurbishments!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

My partner and I stayed 2 nights in Hobbit number 10.... although basic the hobbit was a perfect alternative to a tent...... the location was absolutely perfect....a 10 minute drive to Fort Augustus and only a few minutes to Invermorriston where there is a pub, a local store and a craft shop. The views from the Hobbit are absolutely amazing and the hobbits are situated right on the Loch!. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon after making a booking earlier that day.... we were very disappointed to discover that all the on site facilities would be closed for the duration of our stay... when asked for a reason why... we weren't offered any sort of an apology but were told that they simply had no staff!!! why couldn't I have been informed of this over the telephone when I made my booking!? I wasn't even able to purchase a pint of milk to make a coffee..... after a long drive I was disappointed to have to go back to Fort Augustus to buy our dinner....as our original plan was to go and get supplies the following day!! The toilets were ok.... but only 2 of them.....and the showers were warm, powerful and clean!

This has the potential to be a fantastic campsite........ the location and the accommodation were fantastic.....but with all hobbits fully booked and about 15 camper vans parked up I don't understand why they wouldn't open the shop/ bar?

This is the quote that made us choose to stay at the park from the website -
"With recent investment in our on-site facilities, including improvements to the bar and restaurant (breakfast baps available) and a new play park for the children, the addition of the first Hobbits in Scotland provides a delightful holiday experience on the banks of Loch Ness"

I suggest that this be removed from the website as it is clearly untrue and misleads potential guests!

Room Tip: Choose hobbit number 10 so that you don't have people on either side.... as the bar is never ope...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

I am sorry that you were disappointed by the lack of open facilities on the site during your stay. You are quite correct that this should have been explained when you called to book your accommodation, and for this I apologise.
There were staffing issues throughout the summer of this year, and your advice to remove the paragraph about the extra facilities has been actioned now.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Invermoriston
The Lovat, Loch Ness
#1 of 2 in Foyers
Morag's Lodge
Morag's Lodge
#1 of 10 in Fort Augustus

Been to Loch Ness Highland Lodges? Share your experiences!