“Loch Ness Adventure”

Glenmoriston Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Invermoriston
“Loch Ness Adventure”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed here on a Groupon deal, and was worth every penny. Was made very welcome when we checked in, the owner showed us to our room which had a fantastic view. She pointed out that the toilet seat had been broken by a previous occupant, but that it was working ok this didn't put us off the room. Had an amazing meal in the hotel restaurant on the Saturday night, value for money. Will most definitely stay here again.

Sylvia and Sam

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed on the 11th and 12th September on a Groupon deal. I have read some of the other reviews and I am surprised that with some of the comments. We did not feel that we were treated any differently from any of the other guests. We were not bothered about the old TV as we don't go on holiday to watch TV. Ailsa did tell us that the TV was on her to do list along with a number of other things. We ate in the hotel both nights as we enjoyed the meal so much the first night and we cannot complain about the portion sizes. However on the second night my wife's steak was a little dry but was far from being inedible. My sea bass was lovely. First morning the cooked breakfast arrived before we had finished cereal and the second morning breakfast could have been a little warmer but was Ok. Perhaps timings could be revisited here. There was pleasant lounge to sit in with a drink and it was not overly noisy.

Polmont, Scotland
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed for one night 5th September, and also came back to eat in the restaurant on the Saturday night. Stayed in the room with the 4 poster and the Jacuzzi. The room was excellent, there was a slightly musty smell in the bathroom, probably due to the fact that it takes a fair amount of hot water to fill the bath, and with two people there may be some over-spill,. Not sure about the carpet in the toilet, but maybe I have been watching too many decoration tip shows :). Must say enjoyed the bath with the music and lights, it certainly gave us a laugh.

Enjoyed the restaurant for dinner and breakfast, can't say we had anything we did not like. Staff certainly worked hard, but there was no great sense of anything being rushed.

Overall was impressed, and would certainly consider going back again.

Room Tip: go for the four poster room for a treat
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Lachie1, Owner at Glenmoriston Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Ailsa, Managing Partner response: thank you for taking the time to write a review. You are absolutely right about the carpet in the bathroom. I can see where who ever put it in was coming from - it gives it all a more luxurious feel, but it's completely impractical. No more carpet!
Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again some time.
UK
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We booked this hotel with the intention of getting a few days solitude near Loch Ness. Loch ness was brilliant, and the positioniong of the hotel was almost perfect... but the hotel itself left a lot to be desired.

On the first day of our stay we were shown to our room after a brief welcome. The room was very large and spacious, with plenty of storage, if not a bit dull and decorated in a very dated and tacky fashion (tartan caprpet, antique cupboards, etc). The bathroom, by contrast, had a very modern decoration, with a fantastic walk-in shower (careful on the glass door though... the edges have been left bare and sharp, and I did get a very nasty scrape along my foot as a result). The view was okay, giving us a slight glimpse of the surrounding highland hills, but mostly featuring the hotel carpark and the opposing corner shop. The room sported a portable TV from the 90s. Disappointingly, the headboard was broken on one side of the bed, which caused quite a nuisance and a lot of noise.

We booked ourselves in to have dinner at the hotel for the evening, having not had time to settle and forage elsewhere. When we turned up for dinner, we found the staff less than helpful. We were not shown to a table, and it was not made clear to us where we were supposed to wait to be shown to a table - the bar adjacent to the dining room was gathering too large a queue to ask the staff what the protocol was, and at the same time, we didn't want to waltz through to the dining room ourselves.

Eventually, after standing around looking lost for a good few minutes (and with several staff seeming to ignore our plight), we were shown to a large round table that could easily seat a family of 8 - which was a bit nuts considering that there were only two of us, and there was clearly a 2 seater available. We asked to be moved, and after asking permission from the manager, the waitress moved us to the more appropriate table.

The food itself was good quality, but the portion sizes were absolutely nowhere near good enough for the £50 that we paid for 3 courses between us. The hotel seems to be aspiring to a Masterchef style presentation of their food, instead of the traditional portion that I was expecting. Disappointing. However, the worst thing about dinner was the atmosphere - far more tables than was appropriate were squashed into this tiny dining room, and everybody in the room was within earshot.

Upon returning to our room to retire for the evening, we discovered a flaw with our room - it sat right above the bar, leading to quite a lot of noise until last orders around midnight.

On our final day, we awoke for breakfast. We started by ordering some orange juice from the bar (again, the protocol for breakfast was not made clear to us, so we hovered around the bar and bought a drink before proceeding to the dining room). The drinks were poured by the manager, who was taking a phone call the entire time she served us, making it difficult for us to ask about breakfast. When we made it clear that we'd like to have breakfast, she said "it's through in the dining room... shame, if you'd have gone through there, you could have had orange juice for free". That's right... instead of reimbursing us for the orange juice that we were about to have for free with breakfast, she let us pay for it anyway... terrible service.

Anyway, the breakfast itself was awful. We had the full scottish, where the bacon was barely cooked and the potato scone seemed like it hadn't even been heated, let alone fried/toasted.

On this day, our room was not made up/cleaned, which we found disappointing.

We were then dismayed to find out that there was going to be some live music in the hotel until midnight. Whilst most patrons might have enjoyed this (patrons whose rooms were not directly above the bar, that is), we were really only hoping to use the hotel as a place to sleep while we seen the sights around Loch Ness, and since this was the night before checkout (at 10.30am) and before our long drive home, we were hoping for an early night. But no, we couldn't have this, as the local guitarist gave us a cheesy kareoke bonanza (helped out with a special appearance from "mini Elvis", a growth-stunted Presley impersonator). This went on well past midnight, and it took until around 1am before the rowdy attendees of the event went home, and we could finally get some sleep.

On the way out, we were not given much attention, and the manager did not ask us if we enjoyed our stay at the hotel... probably a good thing.

The hotel is the only one in the town, pretty much, and the raging tourist industry around Loch Ness means that they probably don't have to rely much on repeat custom. They take full advantage of this fact to hike their prices, reduce their portions, and reduce the quality of service that they offer to guests.

I also have a theory that they least prioritise guests who come on discount (we booked via Groupon). We suspect that our room above the bar was "the Groupon room". Our broken headboard was part of "the Groupon bed". Our portable TV that waned in and out of service was "the Groupon TV". The general service we were offered was "the Groupon service".

Would not stay again. Would not recommend.

(Also, have seen other negative reviews on this website and I am EXTREMELY unimpressed with the short, patronising and stuck up responses which the management appear to offer to them... if you're reading this and thinking about responding, don't bother).

1 Thank GSMANON
Ailsa. Managing Partner response: I note you don’t want a response but as you’ve gone to all the trouble of writing such a lengthy review I think it would be rude not to. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay and bewildered as to why you didn’t say anything when you were here as some of your issues could have been rectified at the time. I can’t do anything about the car park or the corner shop – the views from the windows are what they are, but the headboard problem could have been dealt with. It’s not broken, it was just a bit loose and has since been tightened – a few seconds job with a screwdriver. So, apologies for the loose headboard and thank you for pointing it out. The old TV’s we inherited with the Hotel. Some have been replaced and some (like in your room) have not. We intend to replace them all, but as they work ok it is not the most important thing on the agenda. Are they from the 90’s? Personally I thought Bonnie Prince Charlie had left them behind. Your issue with the shower door is a lot more concerning. If you got a ‘nasty scrape’ on your foot you should have reported it, and it would have gone in our accident book. We take things like that very seriously. The showers are equipped with British Standard re-enforced frameless glass doors, especially made for the purpose. Frameless means there’s not meant to be a frame round it, they haven’t been ‘left bare’ or ‘sharp’! All guests are informed on check-in what the procedure is for breakfast and dinner, We have two round tables which can comfortably seat a party of up to six (not eight). We would only seat two people at these round tables if all the other tables of two have already been booked. It would be more ‘nuts’ as you put it to leave people waiting for a table if these ones are free. You must have been one of the last to book and the table you ‘clearly saw to be available’ was actually reserved before you by somebody else. The young waitress was correct to check if you could move because the other table might have been requested. Our dining room is not squashed and I do not believe there are too many tables for the size of the room. I respect your opinion but I do not agree with it. When you turned up for dinner you just stood among the crowd in the bar. You would have been attended to immediately if you had gone to the dining room door and stood by the sign that says “Please Wait to be Seated”. It was only down to the attentive service of the staff that you were noticed in the crowd looking as you put it, ‘lost’.
Your room was not made up because you had the DO NOT DISTURB sign on your door all day. Tartan carpets, stag heads on the walls etc, are typical features in a traditional Highland Hotel. Whilst I appreciate it’s not to everyone’s taste I don’t know what you were expecting? We had late music on for the first time this year. This was a requested performance that did last until after midnight and I apologise if you were disturbed by it. I will let the ‘growth stunted’ Elvis impersonator know what you think of him! That’s actually a bit unkind don’t you think? It was all just a bit of a laugh. As for breakfast on your last morning. (I was on the phone when you came to the bar and interrupted the call to serve you) I don’t understand where you’re coming from with this one, sorry! The protocol for breakfast was explained on check-in but even if you didn’t take it in it’s not rocket science! We only have one dining area after all. If you want breakfast you go to the breakfast room not the bar. There is no need to ‘hover’ anywhere. Why would you ‘start breakfast by ordering from the bar?’ Who does that? Any drinks served from the bar must be paid for, nothing to do with breakfast, so why should you be ‘reimbursed’? If the breakfast itself was not up to our usual standard I apologise. It would have been nice to have been given the opportunity to correct it. I strongly object to your ‘theory’ that people who book on a discounted offer are treated differently to everyone else. We put that offer out there in the hope that people would buy it. We are delighted to welcome those who did. Your comments are insulting to others who just like to look for a bargain and says a lot more about your attitude to discounts than ours. Finally, the’ short, patronising and stuck up responses you are extremely unimpressed by’ have come from different members of our management team (usually the Head Chef) who have the right to reply to comments they feel are unfair or inaccurate and we always try to respond ‘like for like’.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I organised for a party of 9 walkers to stay here on September 6th for 2 nights. It was the nearest one to the hills we wanted to climb which had a reasonable cancellation policy . I don't think I can fault the hotel at all. Everyone was very pleasant and friendly, on the phone and when we arrived, despite the fact that our arrival was badly timed and they were exceptionally busy. The beds were comfortable (important for tired walkers!), and the rooms had all we needed. We all enjoyed the meals very much and the ambience in the dining room, including wonderful chairs, was conducive to a relaxed atmosphere for eating. The breakfast was particularly good for people who were going out on the hills. But I think the thing that came across most was the friendliness of the staff. Our group isn't in the habit of going back to hotels because we are looking for new mountains to climb, but we may well return to this one. Praise indeed!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Della R
SE England
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This is a review of the restaurant only - not the hotel. The staff are friendly and the service they provide is good. It is a shame that the food was not of the same standard, despite the menu boasting that the head chef was on duty that night.

Starters. My wife ordered the seared pigeon breast, which she said was nicely cooked and flavoursome. My choice was Cullen Skink. This was not available, so I went for the mushrooms in a garlic sauce. The sauce was good, but the presence of just a few more mushrooms would have been appreciated.

Mains. My wife's "venison and pork cassoulet with thyme and red wine" tasted of neither wine nor thyme. It tasted exactly like "meat in Heinz tomato soup". My choice of "surf 'n' turf" was described as strips of chilli beef and crayfish tails with pasta. What arrived was a large bowl of penne in a tomato-ish sauce with the sort of meat cubes you would put in a casserole, and not many of them. The crayfish tails were equally elusive.

Dessert. We had the Scottish cheese board between us. This was good with nice fresh bisuits, but the Highland Blue tasted strangely of fish.

They clearly rely on tourism for their business. If they relied on repeat customers they would have gone bust years ago.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AllenSEEngland
Lachie1, Head Chef at Glenmoriston Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Head Chef responds:
I was going to start off by thanking you for your review, but I won't. First of all you're on the wrong page to review the restaurant. Anyway,this is probably the most ridiculous review I have read yet. You start of by slating the cassoulet saying it's cooked in Heinz tomato soup, I take it Heinz tomato soup has veal stock thyme, shiraz, bay leaves, cranberry sauce, juniper berries, wholegrain mustard ,bouquet garni and root vegetables? Then you think my surf n turf is cooked in tomato (again!) Obsessed with tomato? or maybe you just found an ingredient you knew and stuck with it?- it's actually cooked in a Napoli sauce (homemade - not soup) and it's not cubes it's strips of beef which I carve myself and locally sourced crayfish. Strathdon cheese tastes of fish? I sourced this handmade cheese myself from various suppliers and to say it tastes of fish is insulting to the producers. We don't 'just' rely on tourism We are a 3 star Hotel aiming for rosettes which I have every ambition of achieving. Waken up! I have noticed on your profile you have reviewed other establishments and seem to be very harsh with your tongue, well don't give up your day job. Remember this is Trip Advisor and not the AA or Michelin Guide and you're certainly not a food critic. Before your next review you should probably get your taste buds/palate examined. Paul Clark (2 AA rosette Chef)
Florida
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Best food we have ever had in the UK. However, avoid the desserts, they were very disappointing.
Starters and entrees were definitely worth 5 stars. My husband and brother in law took the Venison and were impressed by how tender it was.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NATDELA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Invermoriston
The Lovat, Loch Ness
#2 of 2 in Invergarry
Craik Na Dav B & B
Craik Na Dav B & B
#1 of 8 in Invermoriston

Been to Glenmoriston Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!