“Great garden, good food”

Applecross Walled Garden
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Applecross
Price range: US$16 - US$35
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Located in a beautiful walled garden the Potting Shed offers a cosy and quieter alternative to the Applecross Inn. A couple of menu items I would have liked were unavailable but indicate the local provenance of the food. Seafood linguine was solid comfort food on an damp evening with a mix of salmon, prawns and a single but large scallop. Reasonable prices.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were staying locally and were celebrating my husband's birthday when we visited The Potting Shed. We had booked but didn't really need to. The food was to a very high standard, the service was good but a little amateurish. The view into the walled garden was lovely and because it was so light in the evening we could see it all in glorious bloom.
I would recommend a visit to The Potting Shed I don't think you will be disappointed!

1  Thank DCull
Reviewed 28 July 2014

A nice quiet restaurant in the Walled Garden of Applecross House, dinner for 2 was outstanding, and great value for money. Highly recommend the Crab Ravioli & Lobster.

1  Thank DawnAmanda
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We wanted lunch but the only sandwich-style food was a ciabbata which was plastic and tasteless. Really, you can't offer sandwiches in a cafe? If you can't buy the bread in, get a bread maker!

3  Thank Chris N
glupper, Owner at Applecross Walled Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Just for the record, we DO bake our own bread, every single morning so it's fresh, and we serve it with all the lovely salads, the home made soups, and most of the fresh seafood that feature on our menu. And we don't even use a breadmaker!
It's not practical to bake all our own bread, so, as per your most excellent suggestion, we also 'buy some in.' Specifically we buy in sliced white and sliced brown (primarily for toast with our extensive breakfast menu, but also for people who ask if we can just do them a sandwich, which is never a problem), rolls for burgers, egg rolls, bacon rolls, sausage rolls and full breakfast rolls (as featured on our 'limited menu') and ciabattas. I don't think they put plastic in the ciabattas, but I will certainly check with our suppliers. I tried one yesterday, and I'm no expert, but to me it tasted rather like, er, bread.
Again, the advice to all TA reader/reviewers this: Before running home to moan on trip advisor, try speaking to the people who are serving you. Chances are they'll be happy to help, and you will enjoy a more positive experience.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We ate midweek and were the only people in there, what a shame. We had a beautiful meal with super attentive service.

The garden is stunning, we ate overlooking it. The food was high quality, served beautifully and plentiful. My partner had the rather lovely boar and shore starter and I went for the crab. Fresh salad straight from the gardens. It was delicious. My main course lobster was fantastic. There are a good selection of wines.

This is very high standard food at less than pub prices, next time we are in Applecross or anywhere near we will revisit. Highly recommended food at a superb value for money.

The garden is stunning too!

All local produce and/or fair trade, shows how good food can be done at a good price. I think this place will just get better and better.

2  Thank Karen S