“Cuisine of Excellence and Comedy Capers”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Achilty Hotel

Achilty Hotel
Achilty Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Contin
Lancashire
“Cuisine of Excellence and Comedy Capers”
Reviewed 29 October 2009

We have visited the Achiliy Hotel on numerous occasions over the past 8 years. We have never had a bad meal and the chef in addition to his excellent culinary skills is also a comedian at heart.

We always come away in good spirits and what can be better after a good meal.

I read these other reviews with interest and cannot understand the mentality of those reviewers who only want to stop at a location for its toilets. What would these people do on a motorway when you just have to wait until the next services comes up. Strathpeffer is only 2 miles away if they are desperate.

Brian Heaton, Lancashire

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brianbeaver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dorset
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I have dined at the Achilty Hotel for many years when I have stayed in the Contin area visiting my parents. I have always had what I can only describe as an outstanding meal on each and every occasion, accompanied by excellent service and hospitality. The chef and joint owner Chris always makes a point of welcoming his guests personally and both he and his wife Ethel not only make sure that everything is to your liking, but they will also go the extra mile and prepare something for you if you have a particular request. Nothing is too much trouble and the food is always delicious. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank BruceDorset
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 19 September 2009

We stopped at this hotel on Sunday 13th September. Holidaying in the highlands and en route to Inverness we decided to stop for Sunday luch. A party of 4 myself and my husband and my mum (disabled with arthritis and osteporosis with the added complication of a broken toe) and my dad 70 years old and diabetic. We drew up and dad got out, as mum takes some time to get herself mobile dad decided to go to toilet and organise a table for us. Dad went into hotel and came out soon after quite affronted and flabbergasted. He had entered restaurant and looking for toilet the 'lady' behind the bar - and some way away from him called over 'can I help' dad said we were looking for Sunday luch but wanted to use toilet. The lady said toilets are for customers and dad again siad we were coming fr=or a meal but he needed to use toilet. The lady then said 'I dont beleive you, you just want to use toilet and they are for customers. Dad, eing very embarrassed as this converstaion took place across the bar area and in a loud voice left the building and we agreed we did not want to stay there. We started to ove off and we decided 'no' we should talk to hotel recetion. The reception door was locked but as dad returned to car the 'chef' - in his checked trousers came out and asked if we a problem. Dad said yes he was trying to contact reception as he had just had a terrible experience in the restaurant. Dad then began to explain what happened when the chef shook his arms in the air and said ' Oh I've heard enough and walked away!!!!' Obviously this establishment values their customers highly- NOT!! I witnessed the converstaion with the chef and my dad is not prone to exaggeration - stay clear of this place. A warm welcome - not a chance. Customers are clearly viewed as liars and must only be visiting the hotel to use the toilet. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere but I would recommend they close their doors to the public as they are clealry an unwanted commodity in this business. I am writing this review 6 days after this disgraceful episode but I still feel very strongly about it today - all human beings deserve to be treated with respect not distrust. Never again will we consider this place and everyone we know who is thinking of a break in highlands will be well warned. I use facebook, twitter, friends reuntied as well as email - rest assured I will spread the word.
Kim Tate

• Stayed September 2009
6 Thank tateyhead
Rutland
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My Dad & I have stayed at the Achilty Hotel with Chris & Ethel Slater at least once a year for 7 to 8 nights whilst fishing the local River Conon.
In most recent years we have stretched our stay to sometimes twice a year for an additional week.
We would not wish to stay at any other hotel whilst on our Salmon fishing holidays, the food is exceptional, the hotel is comfortable, clean & nothing seems to be an issue if requested.
The hospitality is second to none, this is what we call Scottish hospitality, well worth while a stop off at this establishment.
Many of our friends have stayed with us & some have revisited. Phil & David Jones, Rutland.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank phildjones270056
Dulwich
Reviewed 23 June 2009

There were a lot of us staying in the hotel and the staff could not have been more welcoming and friendly. We had delicious food throughout the weekend. The breakfasts are so good that you are set up for the day - and the glorious walks that are right on the doorstep. For children of all ages, the beach at Rosemarkie is not far away and a joy, with even a stream to dam! Meanwhile, back home, the disabled room is a real boon for the elderly.
Thank you to Christopher and Ethel for looking after us so well

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
St Kilda, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Have an unremarkable experience at the restaurant a few months back, though the hotel was neither clean nor quiet. Went back today to go for a cycle and then for dinner, but were chased out of the car park by a man in chef trousers who shouted at us. I'm sorry, but there are numerous wonderful restaurants and hotels in this area, and this sort of behaviour will keep me from ever dining or staying here again. Drive on to Ullapool or go back to Strathpeffer or Inverness, where hoteliers and restauranteurs are inviting to customers.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heilaneats
CJWS, 0wner at Achilty Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2009
I ask this person why he was parking in The Hotel car park , which is for patrons only . He made the excuse he would be eating later. To my certain knowledge this person has NEVER eaten in the Hotel and therefore would not know the standard of food. Also if he had eaten here he would have known that the person in the chef's trousers owns the hotel
staffordshire
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Made to feel at home on arrival. Excellent cheerful service. Rooms very comfortable and well furnished. Excellent food well presented, even to the extent of offering to provide food not actually on the menu. Very helpful, provided us with a wonderful holiday taking a genuine interest that we enjoyed ourselves without being intrusive.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happydays722
Also consider these accommodations in or near Contin
Coul House Hotel
#4 of 7 in Strathpeffer
Tulloch Castle Hotel
Tulloch Castle Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dingwall

Been to Achilty Hotel? Share your experiences!