“Fantastic place with some good views at sunset”

Royal Hotel Cromarty
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cromarty
Scotland
“Fantastic place with some good views at sunset”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stopped here for an evening meal on our way around the Black Isle. The landlady made us most welcome from the moment we stepped in the door and was really friendly throughout. Half our party ordered starters and half didn't. This wasn't a problem. Those who had starters really enjoyed the high quality food served by a friendly member of staff. They were super big portions. The mains all came at the same time, 3 off the extensive specials boards and one off the standard menu. They were all fantastic, of excellent quality, good presentation, and clearly all using high quality ingredients. I even got a prize (a lollipop) for the cleanest plate the landlady had ever seen - well, it was the best risotto I've had this side of Millan!

We shared some of the puddings (again massive portions) and even though it was quite late and we were the only ones left in the restaurant the puddings were up to the same high standard as the other courses.

Also a good wine list and the beer comes recommended too.

There is a good selection of interesting photos around the walls and some interesting old maps which we enjoyed looking at whilst listening to others in the bar having a good time before hitting the road again.

All in all a lovely place with great landlady and staff who made our evening very enjoyable. I am sure we will be back one day.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Glasgow
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This was our first stay at this hotel and we were very impressed by the warmth of the welcome and our newly refurbished room. Our room had a very comfortable bed and a luxurious bathroom. The hotel is gradually being refurbished, but has not lost it's character. Real fires in the lounge and restaurant gave a lovely atmosphere. Local real ale is available in the bar. The food was excellent and although there was only one vegetarian option on the menu other options were offered.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

I ate twice at the Royal Hotel restaurant this Easter (2013). The first time my experience was excellent. A staff member cleaned the table, chairs and floor before I sat as a "messy" family had sat there before me! The food (sweet and sour chicken) was tasty and a big portion. Well priced too. The owner was friendly, smiley and chatty.
The second time I went with my husband and we had a similar experience with the owner and the generous portions. However, this time our table and seats weren't clean (and we were there before the kitchen opened for dinner, so it was left dirty after lunch). Also, since we arrived early for dinner, I ordered a hot chocolate that they wouldn't make as "the kitchen was closed". They offered tea or coffee instead but I don't drink either (apart from peppermint tea but they didn't have any either).
Overall, very good but not excellent.

• Stayed April 2013
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Cracking location - right on the beach with amazing views across the Cromarty Firth and the food is fresh, local and in season - can't get better than that! I've stayed lots of times and its nice to always receive a warm welcome from the locals as well as the owner, Jenny Henderson. She has done a great job at renovating the hotel along with running the local tearoom, The Pantry - its well worth a visit for an afternoon tea & scone...delish!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
elgin
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Turned up without booking on Easter Sunday, glad we did, had an excellent meal , fresh haddock, chips & salad. Sat in the conservatory on a glorious sunny day with great views .couldnt beat it, highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Cromarty is a beautiful village but completely let down by this typically poor Highlands hotel. (not biased because we live in the highlands!!!) We had a meal here on a Tuesday night in the lounge bar. The bar staff were not welcoming at all. They kept on telling us that they normally close at 10 but had cashed the till by 9 and locked the door so no one else could get in making the dead atmosphere even worse. I had to ask for music to fill the room a bit. After finishing the main course we were not even asked if we wanted dessert or coffee in an obvious attempt to get rid of us. My wife accidentally knocked over a glass of wine during the evening and although not obliged to replace it, a good restaurant would. The food itself was terrible, my haggis, neeps and tatties was just a massive pile of lukewarm slop and my wife's was just as bad. After we had had all we could take of it I noticed the chef leaving for the night. I guess he had decided we didn't want anything else.
The new owner has done a reasonable job of the lounge bar (although perhaps more city looking than country) but has left the very poor ancient toilets. My main complaint to them though would be the staff. Old does not mean nice and please please please look carefully at how well they do their job. This beautifully positioned hotel should be one people travel far and wide to stay at.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Smidgeon1
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed 13 March 2013

My husband and I had a 2 night break at the Royal Hotel last week. We received a warm welcome when we checked in. We had booked a superior room which was lovely. Very comfortable with lovely bathroom. We ate in the hotel both evenings and the food was delicious. Was difficult to choose from the menu as everything sounded lovely! Breakfast was excellent. All staff were friendly and welcoming. The coal fire added to the cosy,homely atmosphere. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AberdeenshireKitty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromarty
Kincraig Castle Hotel
Invernairne Hotel
Invernairne Hotel
#1 of 9 in Nairn
Mansfield Castle Hotel

Been to Royal Hotel Cromarty? Share your experiences!