“Midweek break - enjoyable”
Review of Mackay's Hotel

Mackay's Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Managed to get a last minute midweek break. Stayed in the Travel lodge part of the hotel. Was given a family room. Nice large modern en suite room. Beds were the comfiest I have ever encountered out of all the hotels I have ever stayed in. Manageress was professional in all the dealings I had with her, as were her staff. Everything about the hotel and leisure suite was explained on arrival. Dinner and breakfast were more than adequate, not 5* but then nor is the hotel or the prices. I would stay here again for a mid week break.

Room Tip: Travel lodge annex part of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MaryandMerv
There are newer reviews for Mackay's Hotel

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Went with other half, my mother, an aunt and an uncle, on one of the Urquhart tours ( bus driver was brilliant btw ) We knew it was a bit dated - but not actually buying the place nor choosing the décor to take home so we where prepared to live with it for a few days.
Found it to be clean, meals filling enough and with a vegetarian choice each meal, not top of the range but we cleared our plates most nights, asked for a salad the last night and must say was one of the best I have ever tasted.
The small spa offered changing rooms, showers, pool, sauna and steam room and small gym (although Jacuzzi was out of use when we where there ) had the spa to myself Friday evening , shared it with hubby on the Sunday afternoon, Mother, Aunt and Uncle got the pool to themselves Sunday morning - although the added bonus being the use of a shower for them as the en suite was bath with small hose attachment for hair washing ( which is not great for older peoples with stiff joints who can't get into said bath admittedly - but it didn't stop them from having fun.
The evening entertainment was featured around the 50's /60's each night and this was right down their street, and had them up having a wee dance ( despite replacement hips, arthritis, heart stents and gout between them all lol ) The bar staff where friendly and all the serving staff where approachable and ensured any specifics - cream, no cream, extra sauce ect.
The manageress did seem rushed, but was pleasant enough and did check the room when one of our party mentioned a concern about the toilet seat.
The town / village is small but lovely and has a pipe band playing in Summer, each Sat evening in the square, and one or two places to visit ( touchstone maze , eaglestone, childhood museum ) whilst you are there.
Our trip included some excursions to other places so kept us busy and got us out and about.
We also enjoyed each other's company and did not take things too seriously, I think to go just as a couple it may not have been as enjoyable, but would recommend going with friends.
Overall if you paid to go to a youth hostel where you may have to share a room let alone a bathroom with others, paid for transport to the hotel,the trips, breakfast, dinner, visit to a swimming pool, sauna and steam room all separately it would come to more than we paid for this so reflecting on that it was worth it and gave us a weekend away doing different things and keeping active, while catching up with some of the family.
Would I go back there again ? - I think it's one of the things you do once to see what it's like and to visit somewhere different. - ~As part of a package it's acceptable and might well be better enjoyed in a cluster of friends rather than as couples or solo's.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gilliane M
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The manager welcomed us on board the coach and was allocating the rooms, not everyone was paying attention and I could understand her frustration. The hotel was clean and tidy although the decoration was a bit aged and not every room had a proper shower. The staff were courteous, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and the dinners were good but not great, love the little touch of fruit in the salad / side salad. Not a fan of the boiled potatoes. Excellent leisure annex and entertainment although the televisions have not entered the digital age.
All in all an enjoyable break with a few minor niggles.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is a really awful run down hotel which is in need of urgent refurbishment. Requested a ground floor room with a walk in shower, allocated a disgustingly smelly room up 4 stairs with a broken bath and no shower. Stayed for one evening meal, served boiled potatoes which were so hard you could not cut them and a piece of chicken breast so small that there would have been more meat on a chicken thigh.
Informed by the Manager on arrival that it was no use complaining if the the allocated room was not up to expectations as the hotel was fully booked, and this attitude was apparent in the dining room to.
Arrived at 19.00 hours and checked out at 22.00hours
Company has stated in a letter that requests for rooms and showers to meet disabilty needs can not be quaranteed - but they do not tell you this when you are booking!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Muriel D
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Travelled with David Urquharts 15to19 July if it was not for their excursions it would have been worse. The room was not hovered and the tiles in the shower cabinet where all black if I stayed any longer I would have bought bleach and cleaned myself. The food although they had a choice it was all very poor hard potatoes and limp lettuce scrambled egg was an other thing they could not make, a guest was served mouldy bread. The only modern thing this hotel had was the swimming pool. we were in the same building in room 1 as the bar and lounge and I have to agree as you walk in their is a smell. and the furniture is old and worn and stained. I could keep going on about this hotel but that enough. but thank you David Urquharts for the places we where taken. very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rosemary A
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My friend and I spent 5 days in Mackay's hotel and Spa as part of a David Urquhart tour and I have to say it is definitely caught in time warp!! On arrival we were met by a very inefficient Manageress who directed everyone to their rooms. She started off by calling out peoples names then seemed to get bored and left the rest of us to take the initiative and get off coach to ask for our keys
My friend and I were allocated rooms 14 and 15 (this being a twin room). On opening the door to my single room I found although small it was only for 4 nights so adequate. This however was the best feeling I could have about it as once I was inside the full extent of neglect was very obvious. The carpet had not been hovered and as well as being filthy it was covered in crumbs. The base of the bed had a very suspect stain on it which I was afraid to investigate too much!! The television was an old fashioned analogue one with cables hanging all over the place and plugged in to an adaptor on the floor. it was impossible to watch as there was constant "snowing" on screen and only channel available was BBC. I have never even experienced this abroad and to think I was in another part of Scotland it was extremely disappointing. It had not been electrically checked since 2010,which given that a Health and Safety audit was being carried out whilst we were there was a shocker. The bedroom window was jammed open so had it been cold weather it might have posed a problem.

I spoke to the Manageress about the carpet and requested that it be cleaned before! I went back into it. There was no apology and no reaction at all, although when I went back up after dinner it had been cleaned, but that was the last time!

The breakfast was adequate but service was a hit or a miss. Dinner was a great disappointment, with only the first night being enjoyable. We were served cottage pie which was the cheapest mince available and potatoes which should have been mashed but were lumpy and unappetising. Desserts were a joke and almost everything was either from a tin or prepacked.. Thankfully I made sure I ate at lunchtime.

Entertainment was very good all four nights and we enjoyed it very much with even the Manageress joining in on the last night but only because she had a French party in as u until then she had ignore our coach load.

I can't speak for the pool and facilities there except I know the Jacuzzi was out of order.

I definitely would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AussiefanScotland
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This hotel is shabby and run-down. There was only a bath, no shower. The hotel bar was used by the locals and that's where the Reception was situated. It was a bizarre set up. It felt very uncomfortable going in there to be honest.

The food leaves a lot to be desired. The breakfasts were just passable, but the dinners were awful.

I had an ancient television in my room which was unwatchable because of the poor reception. I haven's seen snow on a television like that for forty years.

I certainly won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Anne F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Bay Highland Hotel
Coul House Hotel
Coul House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Contin
Holiday Inn Express Inverness

Been to Mackay's Hotel? Share your experiences!