“basic good value for money, nice weekend to recharge your batteries”
Review of Mackay's Hotel

Mackay's Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
Glasgow
“basic good value for money, nice weekend to recharge your batteries”
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Just came back today from a lovely weekend at the Mackays hotel in Strathpeffer. from reading previous reviews I think I new what to expect from the decor and they were not wrong. It has not seen an uphosterer or an interior decorator for a very long time. Still not put off we headed over for dinner. The first meal was ok, very basic but ok. This became progressively worse over the weekend. Do not eat the porridge as it was not porridge as I know it. When I was given my cheese and biscuits I could only look in shock at the stale dried up cheese that still had the grated end on it as if the cook had grated a bit and gave me what was left, the grapes on the plate were filthy. Breakfast , there was plenty tea, coffee and toast though along with a small fry up just set us up for the day. Don't let the food put you off though as there is a nice coffe shop across the road that does a nice bite to eat. there is also a grocery store right across the road for wine, nibbles and newspapers. We then went off for a lovely excursion to Tane , Dornoch and the Falls of Shin. This was a lovely day out with some amazing views. The Falls of Shin / Harrods in the Highlands was a nice pit stop. We did not take the Sunday excursion to Ullapool as we chose to spend the day in the spa. This was a lovely surprise. The pool was not big but just enough for a refreshing dip, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were all clean and modern. I relaxed by the pool reading my book, with the occassional dip in the jacuzzi. This was more like it. The gym was well equipped, not that modern but there was a treadmill, cross traner, bike and a multi gym for your weights. Every thing you need for a workout. Enterainment was a bit hit and miss, the DJ on the Saturday night was good with a good mix of music. This was helped of course by the £1 drinks which where all good brands which was a nice surprise. Overall we had a really nice weekend, and we will definately go back with family and friends.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dunphy22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We booked a 'u-drive' offer for 3 night weekend break costing £69pp. Had no idea what to expect for the price, if we had known, we would have added on another £30 and went for the Highland or Ben Wyviss. First impressions of the 'reception' area were not good! It looks like time has stood still and we were entering a 70's cafe. We couldn't believe that this also housed the only bar area, with only 4 bar stools and one table in sight. It was all decorated in a strange light bluey/green colour which did nothing for
the place. The person manning the bar also did the reception and eveything else, so
be prepared to wait and search around for someone to help.
The uninviting, dreary lounge was dull and dingy and in much need of an upgrade. This was where entertainment took place, and if you were lucky enough to get a seat in the 'L' shaped part where you couldn't see the act so much the better. The entertainment was horrid. We did hear a few folk laugh, but only a few. The man with the puppet thing was dreadful and cleared the place in record time.

Meal time was 6.30pm and that was it, no choice. We got a A4 sheet with three choices to fill out at breakfast time, rather like school dinners in the 70's maybe. Then again, the menu was just like the 70's!! Fruit juice or soup then 3 basic dishes like turkey or salad or ham then desert was like ice cream or chocholate cake. We had more fun filling it in than eating it! As soon as you sit down at the table, the foreign, friendly staff are over with your first course, no time wasted here. We were in and out in half an hour!

Rooms were very basic and very creaky. Could hear everything next door clearly - everything! We were in the newest looking part and it looked like it had been put up very cheaply. The whole place is very oddly put together and joined on. We had a job finding the pool the first day and asked one of the waitresses, she had no idea! She sent us upstairs and along several lobby's - we eventually found it and thank goodness. The pool area and spa are the best bits about this hotel and they do not seem to match in with the overall building at all! It is open all weekend, thankfully, and we spent a few happy hours there. We did joke about the colour scheme, whoever planned it certainly liked the colour blue!

At the end of the day we only paid £69 and as they say, you get what you pay for. That just about sums up this hotel. We will not return, but overall we did have a fine weekend, mainly because of the pool and spa facilities.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank princessmagmo

Travellers are raving about these Strathpeffer hotels

clydebank
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Have just returned from this hotel after a 3 night weekend break. We were on a u-drive break with another couple. We had rooms 1 and 3 in the spa lodge and found them to be spotlessly clean. The rooms are pretty basic but we had everything we needed and the beds were very comfortable. The staff, from the manager to the chambermaid, were very friendly and extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The food was very good and there was a reasonable choice of all courses on the menu each evening. The pool area was also spotlessly clean and the jacuzzi is amazing. There was entertainment every night we were there which was a bonus. We would definitely return to this hotel, it is excellent value for money and the staff are fantastic.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank huedanClydebank
Yorkshire
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Spent 4 nights at Mackay's with David Urquhart travel. The hotel was very clean, the staff very friendly and helpful, the pool was immaculate, the entertainment was mostly good but the whole experience was very much let down by the food. The porridge was tasteless, the peas were grey, the toast was always cold. To be quite frank, I've had better meals in hospital. If you could book on a room only basis then I would consider going back however I would not eat there again.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EledhelYorkshire
Glasgow
Reviewed 9 November 2008

Hi I am just back from the Mackay's Hotel we stayed from mon 3rd -fri 7th Nov it was a David Urquhart travel trip.
At first I was not looking forward to it , I got it as a birthday gift for Me and my wife, for my 4oth.
when we got to the hotel the manager greeted us and handed out the room keys on the coach, we were shown to our room. when I got to room 10 I was overwhelmed as the hotel management had given us the honeymoon suite for my birthday It was a room with a four poster bed and they had put up balloons and banners which my wife sent up.
As we went down for our evening meal the staff were very helpful
although the staff were foreign they could understand English.The food was good but could have been a bit more generous with the potatoes and veg.
Later on we went over to see the entertainment it was a country singer he was ok , the big plus was the FREE BAR all week.
we were told from people that my wife would have to have a blue rinse in her hair to fit in, but that was rubbish there was pepole of all ages there and we fitted in well,( what a laugh we had all week).
I would like to say a big thank you to the driver Jimmy for all his hard work and putting up with me(ha ha). also a big thanks again to the staff at the hotel.
ps.The leisure facilities were also good a nice warm pool,I definately would go back to the hotel and also on a tour.

Raymond & Michelle Morrin

• Liked — the room and four poster bed
  • Disliked — the shower in the morning. also changing room a see through glass
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank raymorGlasgow
scotland
Reviewed 3 November 2008

Hotel although old and in need of upgrade was fine in a lovely little village in a beautiful bit of scotland, the staff were fine although could't help but notice the comunication difficulties with some of them, but they did there best, the rooms were clean and comfortable, the entertainment could be better for younger guests, the food was ok could be better, as my weekend was wasted when i took a very upset stomach, on the sat and had to get my husband to drive the whole way from glasgow to come and take me home, on the sunday, i was'nt suppose to come home till the monday but was so ill i could not have faced the bus jourey home, no draw back on the driver of the bus but me being ill on his bus would not have been very nice for him or my fellow passangers, so all in all i was very disappointed.

• Liked — it was clean
  • Disliked — could have had a phone so that you could have contacted reception
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Aberdeen
Reviewed 24 September 2008

This past weekend spent a David Urquhart's 4 day break at Mackay's Hotel. While it may be an old hotel my single room in the Spa Lodge was clean and very comfortable. Only drawback is, because there are several adjoining outside sections you are inclined to be in and out for the dining room and evening entertainment. Bonus was the superb swimming pool with first class facilities and also the gym which made my short stay excellent value all in.

• Liked — pool and facilities
  • Disliked — having to move in and out of the various outside sections
  • Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Bay Highland Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Inverness
Coul House Hotel
Coul House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Contin

Been to Mackay's Hotel? Share your experiences!