“Wasps Bike in room”
Review of Richmond Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Strathpeffer
Richmond Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
GreenLeadersGold level
Scotland
“Wasps Bike in room”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I booked a room in the Richmond B & B to travel to a business meeting the next day,Phil was very pleasant and came out to meet me but this is a Bed And Breakfast and not a hotel, the decor was tired and it was not very clean. However I decided to make the best of it and went into my room and put the light on after going out for a short walk, to discover three wasps in my room. I went to ask Sarina if they had something to kill the wasps with but was informed they didn't kill them and I could expect a couple of wasps in my room as they did come in!!.Phil came up to catch them by which time there were about 20 wasps crawling from under the dressing table and when he hit the pelmet there was a nest and they all started swarming, he did try to get alternate accomodation but there was nothing available so had to drive 4 hours home at 23.00 and miss my appointment, The least they could have done was to phone the next day to find out if I had arrived safely and apologize.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank CyriusScotland
richmondhighlandhote, Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
It was disappointing that we could not do more to assist our guest with finding alternate accommodation. We did ring all the hotels and B&B's's in Strathpeffer and used our local knowledge to try and find alternate accommodation. Sadly the rise in employment at local shipyards has resulted in all the local hotels being fully occupied. We ourselves were fully booked that night and had no other rooms to offer. Being concerned that our guests felt that they had to drive home I offered to make up beds in our meditation room as I felt any bed and rest was a better option, my offer of coffee for the journey home was also refused.

The wasp issue has now been resolved in the affected room, the small entrance holes have been filled. We try and operate in an environmentally sensitive way and the needless destruction of wildlife is not part of our policy. Wasps have been in serious decline in 2013 due to the spring weather that encouraged queens out early and poor weather then cooled down killing them. Far from being a pest wasps play a vital role in controlling caterpillars etc.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Aberdeen (Scotland)
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in July. While we enjoyed our stay and were mad very welcome.
I did think there were areas where things could be better. My main concern was with the cleanliness of the hotel which was not as good as it could be. Being dog owners and a dog friendly hotel it does have some evidence of this. Not a problem for many people but I thought it was worth mentioning. Our bed linen could also have been a bit cleaner. Our bathroom door didn't stay closed which again wasn't a problem for us. We also found it a bit difficult to get the shower to a usable temperature and flow rate.

These are my honest opinions of our stay there and I hope Phil and Sarina accept it as constructive criticism as they are a very genuine people and I wish them every success with the Richmond.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hayzer
Thank you for your review, they help us continually improve our service and part of why we have improved the rating of the Richmond since the time that we took over, from 5 of 7 (only 5 operate) to the current one of first.

Having message this reviewer to detail the room and date of stay so that the specific room issue can be addressed next time the room comes vacant.

We have a rolling program of linen replacement in place and the item that caused this issue has been replaced. All our linen and towels are fully laundered in between guests. We recently had a scorch problem with our tumble drier which has been resolved by our machine supplier.

Our 151/2 year old long haired collie does shed his white hair readily. All the public areas are vacuumed daily as the hair does show on the red carpets. We currently have nightshift workers staying with us so we are vacuuming after they are awake (5ish).Whilst we could also vacuum after dayshift workers have gone to work as this is before 6am and our commercial vacuum is loud we feel that this would not be fair for our guests.
Tain
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Phil and Sarina and 'Mum' are the lovely people who run this hotel. Every room is focussed on a different kind of crystal and is painted in colours to match. I stayed in the Rose Quartz room which is light, spacious, has a massive bed and bay windows that overlook Strathpeffer and the surrounding hills.
The hotel is very dog friendly. Phil and Sarina have a gorgeous old(er) dog named Luckie, so having my old(er) dog stay with me in the room was no problem at all. The bar is open at the weekend and so is the restaurant, which is the only restaurant in Scotland to offer a Mauritian menu and it's well worth trying this out. Yummee!
Phil and Sarina also offer complimentary therapies such as Singing Bowl Relaxation, Drum Massage and the Alexander Technique to name but a few.
The area around Stratpeffer is ideal for outdoor activities such as walking, cycling, bird watching, relaxing and it's only a half hour drive from Inverness, but far more pretty and peaceful.
I recommend this hotel whole-heartedly, I loved every minute of my stay.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the village catch the sun (ehm..yes, the sun..) nicely throughout the day.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
richmondhighlandhote, Owner at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
MeisV, thankyou for taking the time to write your review.

We are quite unique in Strathpeffer from the crystal related decor, Mauritian food that reflects our heritage ( we have the only Mauritian restaurant in Scotland) and a range of complementary therapies. Whilst it is great that you enjoyed all of these customers do not have to be interested in this aspect of the business to receive the same hospitality from our family and be able to appreciate the magnificant highlands views and activities that are on offer locally.

So happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Brighton
Reviewed 19 April 2013

LOCATION
100m from centre of Strathpepper so very near newsagent and supermarket.
Lovely village overlooked by moors.

ROOMS
I stayed in the Rose Quartz room which was very pleasant, traditionally decorated, large and bright with two armchairs before big windows with great views over the village and to the moors.
Very comfortable bed, bath and shower with plenty of hot water.
Free and fast wifi.
No TV.

SERVICE
Excellent - friendly, chatty and welcoming without being overbearing as I find can be the case with some B&Bs. The whole set up seems very professional.

FOOD
Superb. Two dinner menus - traditional and Mauritian (I believe one of the owners Sarina is Mauritian); I had a truly delicious home made Mauritian chicken curry with home made chipati.
Full cooked breakfast was decent enough although served with a small helping of delicious haggis.

FACILITIES
Robin and Sarina also offer a wide range of "holistic therapies" hence the alternative name for the hotel - Crystal House Retreat. This was of no interest to me but in no way was this heavily promoted or dominate the hotel.

A conference room is also available.

Room Tip: Rose Quartz room is large and has great views over the village and to the moor.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
richmondhighlandhote, Owner at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Sarina and I use reviews as a way of constantly improving our service. It is great to hear that we we acheived a good balance of warmth of welcome and privacy. Thank you Mark. Our food is home cooked and whether it is a traditional breakfast or our speciality Mauritian cuisine the attention to quality is the same. We believe that we are the only restuarant in Scotland with a traditional Mauritian menu and are proud to offer this diverse and great tasting food to a wider audience. Like Mark we love Strathpeffer, it is a beautiful village with lots to see and do locally as well as being fantastically located for a day touring base of the Highlands.
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We booked for the first weekend in January. We were the only guests in the hotel, though the bar and restaurant attracted visitors on the Friday and Saturday evenings. There are eight or nine rooms in total, and they are all different (we peeked into the empty rooms!) - tastefully and elegantly decorated. Phil and Sarina were very welcoming and helpful. We ate in both evenings: the Friday dinner was good, and the Mauritian dinner on Saturday was really excellent. A decent selection of fair trade and other wines were on offer, as was Mauritian rum, along with all the usual bar offerings. The hotel even smells warm and welcoming on arrival (a small amount of incense in the entrance hall, I think). I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Beds are different sizes - if this is important, it is worth checking for smaller/larger beds.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
richmondhighlandhote, Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you for your kind words, Sarina and I are filled with gratitude when people take the time to submit a review. We try to create a warm welcoming, positive and uplifting environment for our guests to enjoy. Our rooms are always ready for guests and are left open when not in use so that other guests can see the standards of all our rooms is high. The Mauritian menu is our speciality and reflects our heritage. We believe that we are the only Hotel and restaurant that offers an A La Carte Mauritian dining experience in Scotland. We look forward to meeting you again.
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We booked a table in the restaurant for a family birthday dinner for 7. On arrival we were welcomed into the main bar lounge area where we enjoyed a drink by the open fire and ordered our meals. Dinner was served in the main dining room which also had a lovely warm fire, sparkling lights, candles on the table and relaxing music too. We had a mixture of meals from the main menu and the mauritian menu, including sampling the veg/meat curries, breads, speciality rices and pickles all fabulous and very tasty, I had the chicken curry which was delicious. Dessert again a mixture from both menus, I had home made banana fritters in syrup absoloutley gorgeous again melt in the mouth pudding. Our hosts Phil and Serena were very accomodationg and made the evening very special for our birthday guest. I am lookin for ward to returning for more of their lovely dishes and to try the shiatsu massage one of their many hollistic treatments on offer.

Room Tip: We did not stay in the hotel, just had dinner.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This is a very friendly hotel with an atmosphere that I can only describe as happy and welcoming . Phil and Sarina are a little alternative which adds to the charm of this lovely old Victorian building. They could not have done more to make us feel at home.The Mauritian food is worth trying out and mother makes a marvellous Mauritian sauce that looks like cold mud and tastes like magic!
This is not an upmarket Hotel but it doesn't have upmarket prices it has a family feel and is affordable to match.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
richmondhighlandhote, Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you we try to create a warm welcoming family atmosphere, so the experience is more like visiting friends.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Bay Highland Hotel
#1 of 2 in Contin
Priory Hotel
Priory Hotel
#1 of 4 in Beauly

Been to Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!