“Reminded me of the 60s”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Reminded me of the 60s”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Much larger than I expected, and took me back to my childhood - family weddings in the early 60s. Same decor and atmosphere - felt very "coach tour oriented". Strange layout of rooms - bit of a warren. It smelt stale - old booze and smoke, although nobody could have been smoking... Staff friendly, mostly foreign (Spanish and E European?). Bedroom basic, but clean, comfy bed.

Room Tip: Get a map, help you find it in the labyrinth...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank igeddes
DavidCollings, General Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Igeddes,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback for our team. All feedback is passed on to our team and used to improve our service and motivate the team.

The Ben Wyvis is a grand old building with a fantastic history. The age and character of the building can create some challenges for our team, one of these being the abstract shape of rooms and corridors.

I am pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly, they were delighted to hear this.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Margaret

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Weekend stay started well with a nice welcome at reception and being advised we’d been given an upgrade to what turned out to be a very large room, comfortable and well furnished, but ruined by a very dirty bathroom mirror and shower curtain that needed to be replaced. Service at dinner was poor. Firstly our pre-booked dinner was put back 30 mins to allow a coach party to be seated, the hotel should value all its customers equally rather than neglect couples in favour of coach parties. Service was slow, haphazard and could tell the male waiter cared very little for his guests and providing more than one menu for the table seemed too much to ask. Food was ok, prices not too bad with set price menu. Poor service repeated at breakfast when the staff did not offer us tea, coffee or toast and we were left to select from the buffet. Cooked food was decent quality. Next morning when we were offered tea and coffee we asked if we could order from the breakfast menu and the waiter reluctantly allowed us to do so, which was such a shame as the food that came – french brioche toast, bacon and maple syrup and poached eggs – was really good and the hotel should improve its service and promote what is a really good breakfast offering. Very few/no facilities in the hotel, though there is a cinema room in the hotel with daily films. For a very overpriced £100 a night the hotel has to do much better and dramatically improve the service which discourages you from returning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JMACHOL
Dear Jmachol,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for our team.

I am pleased to hear that we were able to give you a complimentary upgrade on arrival. I am disappointed to hear that the cleanliness of the bathroom was not up to our usual standard. We would have been delighted to rectify this for you if you had made us aware of the problem.

My apologies for the service you received during dinner. I can assure you that we do value all of our guests equally. I have passed your comments on to the team.

I am delighted to hear that you found the food to be really good, again I have passed these comments on to our kitchen team who were delights to know you enjoyed your French brioche toast, bacon and maple syrup and poached eggs.

Our team is working tirelessly to improve the service they offer. Your feedback has helped to motivate and highlight sound issue. I hope you can return to the Ben Wyvis in the future to allow us to restore your faith in our service.

Best wishes,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed in the hotel in August. When we arrived the receptionist was very pleasant. On arrival in room there were no towels or pillow cases we reported this and told it was due to late arrival of delivery and would be sorted. The girl serving at the bar was fantastic although there was a South African helping who on a number occasions was down right rude, it turns out he was running the restaurant.

It was dinner that proved to be a very strange experience, there was lots of staff but it seemed limited what each one could do. There was also 2 coach parties in as well as a number of individual groups of guests. In the main we were served fairly well and the food was OK. However it was the other individual groups that received the most herendous service, one couple we still sitting with menus 50mins after they were given them, a table of Greeks recieved 4-5 rounds of brea before they got any food. Even for ourselves the food arrived in dribs and drabs very slowly, in the end for our 3 course meal it took 3 hours to serve as we left the Greeks and the couple who had arrived minutes after we did were just receiving their main courses. The slow service ans everyone disapearing ino the kitchen made us windor was the food getting cooked in wnother hotel nd brought up. There was a whole variety of little madnesses ( like the waiting staffes strange uniforms) that happened that evening that actually made the dreadful service very funny in a Faulty Towers sort of way.

After dinner there was still no towels or pillow cases and the receptionist on my agreement gave me them to sort myself.

Breakfast in one sense was a disappointment as there was nothing odd about it and it worked and food was good, we were very worried as we were tight for time.

The rooms at also very tired and would be better of without the TV it's so small.

If you are prepared to accept bad service that is so bad it's funny and entertaining then this is the hotel for you other than that avoid. The girl in charge of the bar and the receptionist were the exception and both very good, the man running the restaurant is out of his depth and on a power trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Templarman
DavidCollings, General Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Templarman,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for our team.

Firstly, I am delighted to hear that you found the receptionist very pleasant and our barmaid to be fantastic. I have these comments on to Anna and Rachel who were delighted be your comments.
I am disappointed to hear your comments from the dining room. I am sorry if you found any of our team to be rude. I have spoken with our restaurant team regarding this and the service you and other guest received that evening, this is unacceptable and will not happen again.
Again, sorry for the lack of pillow cases in your room unfortunately on this occasion we were let down by our supplier. We have now put measures in place to stop this happening again in the future.

Once again thank you for your comments

Margaret

Travellers are raving about these Strathpeffer hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

After traipsing around everywhere in Strathpeffer for some dinner before 6pm we found this hotel. First impressions were good. On enquiring about food, the receptionist let us stand like spare parts in the reception area before finally telling us that they could fit us in now (or we'd have to wait until 8.30pm - we would soon understand why!)

We ordered drinks and I asked for a pint of water and a diet coke. I was told there was water on the table but this was about the equivalent of what I alone would drink in a meal sitting, never mind shared between four people! Needless to say, my water never appeared.

Two people ordered from the set menu and two ordered a main with the intention of ordering the dessert after. When the main arrived, the risotto and turkey seemed ok but the salmon was tiny and not worth the price. One of the turkey escalopes had some nasty chewy bits.

On finishing our main courses we asked if we could order our desserts. By this time not one but two coach parties had arrived. We were never asked if we would like more drinks or if our meals were ok, my water still never came and we continued to try and catch a waiter or waitresses eye while the two set menu ice creams melted before our eyes. Seeing we were becoming increasingly frustrated the waitress we originally asked took matters into her own hands and placed the order (I got the impression the she would normally only serve food, not take orders). After all that, the dessert was also a very small portion and frankly hardly with the effort :(

So all in all...if your a coach party, I'm sure you'll be just fine in terms of service but they really seem to struggle with stand alone customers!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Nervette,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for our team. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit to the Ben Wyvis on this occasion. We are a very busy hotel, especially in the summer and to avoid disappointment we do advise our guests to pre book dinner reservations.

I am also disappointed to hear that you found your food, particularly the salmon and turkey escallops to be not as you expected. Had you mentioned this to a member of our team at the time we would have been delighted to take corrective action.
I have taken on board your comments regarding the amount of water served on the tables and the issue you experienced regarding your drink. Out team are working to ensure this does not happen again.

Again, I am sorry to hear that your experience was disappointing.

Kind Regards,

Margaret Williams
England
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I picked this hotel because former-politician-turned-TV-presenter Michael Portillo apparently stayed here when visiting Strathpeffer for his series about railways, and I thought if it's good enough for him then it's probably good enough for me. Now I'm not so sure.

First impressions were fine: a large Victorian hotel set in well-kept grounds. The receptionist on duty when I checked in - a young Polish lady - was extremely pleasant and helpful; nothing was too much trouble. However my room was a little tired, with a TV screen that was too small for the room.

Unfortunately there were two coach parties staying at the same time as me, and they did tend to take over. And, as another reviewer has pointed out, eating in the evening was a problem. There appeared to be no bar menu or indeed anything other than the very expensive restaurant menu. Moreover, the coach parties seemed to have virtually taken over the restaurant and the staff there seemed confused by my solo status: they clearly didn't know how to deal with somebody who wasn't part of a group.

Breakfast was also a problem. I'd been told breakfast service started at 7:30am, but I arrived at that time to find the room was packed and it was difficult to (a) get a table and (b) to get food from the buffet. The term "bunfight" springs to mind: tables remained uncleared and the staff clearly couldn't cope.

I'm still trying to solve the mystery of the car park, which was full when I arrived just after midday, when i would have expected it to be empty. As far as I can tell, none of these cars moved the whole time I was there. If I was the hotel management I'd be finding out who these cars belonged to - surely they weren't all hotel guests?

I have to say I wouldn't rush to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
DavidCollings, General Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear Phil of England,
It is great to read your feedback from your recent stay at the Ben Wyvis, thank you for leaving your comments.

I am delight to hear that you found our receptionist, Anna to be extremely pleasant and helpful. Anna is a highly valued member of our team and she was delighted to read your comments and know she had helped you.

I am sorry to hear that your restaurant experience was not as you expected it to be; as always I have passed your comments on the team who are working tirelessly to improve the service they offer our guest, whether it be a coach group or individual guests such as yourself.

Regarding the car park, we do have guests staying on site who leave their cars in the car park through out the day but there is plenty of parking for all of our guests.

I hope to welcome you back to the Ben Wyvis hotel in the future to restore you faith in the service we offer.

Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed with family here. Fabulous food. Loved the eggs benedict and French toast. At dinner they were out of a few things, but Strathpeffer is a little remote. Beautiful, spacious rooms AND big bathtubs! Very nice bar, but closes at 9 pm. Nice hiking trails behind and across from hotel. Convenience store just outside the property. Short drive to some beautiful attractions.
Very helpful staff. Must have a car if staying in Strathpeffer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Ellen L,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for our team. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and particularly the food at the Ben Wyvis hotel. I have passed your comments on to our head chef, Joe, who was delight to hear your comments regarding breakfast but apologises for being out of a few things at dinner.

I am also pleased to hear that you found our staff to be very helpful. Our team works tirelessly to offer our guest the best possible service, comments and feedback only encourage and motivate them to further improve.

I hope to welcome you back to the Ben Wyvis very soon.

Best Regards,

Gloucester, Virginia
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This is a HUGE old Victorian home/ hotel that must cost a fortune to keep up The room that we had was of normal size with12 foot ceilings, a decent bathroom, and a decent bed. Not the best bed mind you but decent. Staff was courteous and helpful. Parking is a bit of a problem. Also eating is something of a problem. The dinners were 20 pounds each so we opted to find something out. Good Luck with that. We were there on a Sunday and Monday and the only restaurant that appealed to us thru TA is closed both days. In High season?? What's with that?? Strathpeffer is very small so there ain't much happening. We ate at McKay's. Forget it. Had breakfast at the Ben under the B&B plan. It was good but nothing to shout about.
The grounds were pretty and it was fun walking to the Eagle Stone. Don't miss that. Otherwise, I'll keep on driving.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Speckul8r,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for our team at the Ben Wyvis hotel. I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be courteous and helpful, as always I have passed these comments on to the team. The Ben Wyvis is defiantly a spectacular building with some fantastic characteristics such as the high ceilings, grand restaurant and great gardens.
I am sorry to hear that you found parking to be a problem and that you struggled to find somewhere to eat. Had you mentioned either of these issue to our team we would have been delighted to help by offering you some specific requests where possible in our restaurant or recommend some good local places to eat.

Thanks again for your comments.

Margret
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Dingwall
Tulloch Castle Hotel
Tulloch Castle Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dingwall

Been to Ben Wyvis Hotel? Share your experiences!