“Mixed feelings about this visit”
Review of Ben Wyvis Hotel

Ben Wyvis Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings about this visit”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

As a building we loved it! Because of the location on the hillside, the granite of the building and the well kept grounds, Ben Wyvis immediately impresses. We were delighted with our large room, it had huge windows and a great bathroom. Not all in our party were as fortunate, and some felt cramped and had no view. The staff were friendly and helpful, but the food was disappointing, although if I had chosen the venison instead of the lamb's liver I might be more positive. Cannot comment on breakfast as we had "breakfast packs" a sort of picnic breakfast consisting of croissants and apple and some shortbread. Not ideal! Overall though it was a good visit and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask about rooms to make sure you get a good one!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MargaretK372

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 3 June 2014

While we appreciate aged properties, this hotel was most uncomfortable. Bad beds. A heater that didn't work. Dramatic shower--either hot or cold. Charming location true, but wow, we spent a rough night.
Dinner at the hotel was adequate.
Staff were helpful, but the place is just well past its prime and there is only so much they can do.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Strathpeffer hotels

Cupar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Chose the hotel as a base to visit the area. Were on a discount B&B and evening meal deal and have to say would not have paid the full price. Our room was adequate but the outlook was to say the least very disappointing. Looked out onto what looked like staff quarters and over the bins and an old tarpaulin and abandoned lawn mower. There was a door to a storeroom where the staff congregated for their cigarette break. The bathroom was weird with the toilet situated in a tight corner next to the door, just as well we were not any larger or we might have been struggling. All this said, the staff were first class and very friendly and the meals were excellent. It turned out to be an ideal spot for where we wanted to go. The decor needed an upgrade but was OK as we were only there to eat and sleep

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Patricia G
Forres, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I accompanied my parents on a trip in May 2014 to this hotel and found it to be an overall satisfactory experience. The hotel is very old and quite tired but it offered everything I needed for my stay. I was lucky and had a front bedroom which overlooked the Ben, my parents outlook was not so bonnie as it was situated at the back of the hotel. The staff were excellent and could not be more helpful. We ate dinner in the restaurant on the first night and it was delicious and very good value. Our first morning the breakfast was excellent and it was table service. Our second morning the breakfast was self service and we did not get the same choice, none the less it was still satisfactory. The hotel grounds and its setting are absolutely beautiful. All in all I'd say the hotel's beautiful setting and excellent staff make up for the tiredness of the building!

Room Tip: The front facing room that I stayed in was much nicer than the room my parents stayed in at the back...
3 Thank Ali B
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This hotel was booked in advance. On our arrival there were 2 coaches booking in at the same time. We made a point of asking for a time to eat breakfast the next morning to avoid the coach passengers. We were given a time but when we arrived at the restaurant, passengers from one of the coaches were about to sit for their breakfast. Although we were seated apart from the coach passengers no-one took our breakfast order and it was only after collaring a waiter that this was rectified. My wife ordered 2 boiled eggs and after collaring another waiter after 20 minutes waiting did the eggs arrive. It was obvious the serving staff didn't get on with each other by the looks and comments between them. Not the thing guests need when eating !!! On the whole a very poor hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid if you see coaches arriving at the same time
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank George D
Macduff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here for 1 night for a wedding last week (same time as classic car rally). I had pre-booked a room with a Ben view on their own website but when we went to check in for our double room, it seems we were getting a single which changed quickly to a double. Went up to our room and it certainly was NOT a Ben view - we looked onto roofs and about 15 other windows looking onto us. Went to reception to be told that you cannot book a Ben View its on a first come basis - well I think they need to check their web page first. They did reduce my room by £10 but that was just the price we paid extra for the view so it was no favour to us. The rooms are all VERY dated and in desperate need of a make over. Avoid room 301 if you want a shower, unless you are less than 2 feet tall, I have never before seen a set up with cable ties and wire to keep up a shower it was a disgrace.
I must admit though that the setting and grounds are beautiful. The wedding was lovely and meal fantastic. Just all let down by the rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid room 301 at all costs.
4 Thank Macleod1076908
aberdeen
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel on the 12th and 13th of April 2014, this was a birthday present for my old early mother. Having phoned up a couple of days before to double check the booking was told I had a single and double on second floor and a double on first floor so all was well.
When we arrived the checking was really bad, the could find the room on the second floor but could not find my booking for the room on the first floor, so in to days had lost my booking not a good start. We where given a room on the third floor, no lift, the room was ok apart from the shower had no curtain, and the shower head was draped over the bath taps with no where to attached it to. So was asked to be moved to the first floor where my original booking should have been, the room they then gave us was ok but dirty thick dust on all the skirtings , considering they had been shut over the winter the hotel should have been deep cleaned.
Went down for a drink in the bar asked for a white wine was given three choices so said on to be told they didn't have any of that,I was looking over at the restaurant and noticed the class doors were dirty as was the dado rails in the lobby.
I will say that the food was excellent and the head waiter was lovely.
In my brother room the toilet took over an hour to fill up, someone did come and look but there was nothing they could do because it was the weekend, so my brother had to fill it up wit water using the bin in the bath room.
Time to check out thank god this should be simple you would think. My brother had already checked out his room and our mothers, so I went up and asked for room 107 , looked at the bill to find out it was room 215 which was my mothers room, so my brother had paid for my room and his. After several emails they refunded me one nights stay and offered me a complimentary stay. Which I will not be taking up there. There excuse was the staff are new, well if that was the case they should not be left on there own till fully trained.
The hotel it's self could be really good, just needs the housekeeping staff to clean it and the rest of the staff to be trained .
I went here as it was recommended to me but certainly will not be going back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank captaincracker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Dingwall
Tulloch Castle Hotel
Tulloch Castle Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dingwall

Been to Ben Wyvis Hotel? Share your experiences!