“No better”
Review of Strathpeffer Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Strathpeffer
Strathpeffer Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Well, a long time has passed since I last stayed here and I was hoping for better. Sadly, most of what I felt in my last review still stands. The hotel is still very tired, although they have refurbished the bar area - if they could do the rest of the hotel to the same standard, it would be a different beast. My room this time was also no better, with another shaving light that didn't work, a sink with an annoying dripping tap in the bedroom because there wasn't room to fit it in the en suite, an uncomfortable bed, still no shower gel, and a shower that must be 25 - 30 years old. The latter had been stuck together with electrical tape to stop it from falling apart.

The cooked breakfast has, I am sorry to say, gone backwards. it does come out quickly, but therein lies part of the problem; they don't cook it fresh. They are cooking the elements of it and keeping it warm, which of course stews the bacon until it is hard, and overcooks the eggs. The portions are rubbish too, with one small egg, a couple of bits of bacon, one tiny (and I mean tiny!0 sausage, half a microwave'd tomato and half a slice of fried bread. There are also beans if you like them (I don't) but still no sign of black pudding.

Four things sum up this hotel for me. 1). I was woken up by a 'morning call', where the member of staff banged so loudly on next door's room that I thought they were calling me - at 6.30am; 2). I went to put pepper on my breakfast and I massive wage came out because the top of the pepper pot had been bashed-in and there was just one big hole; 3). The bizarre monkey statue that stands on the breakfast cereal table, and d). the constant coach loads of extremely grumpy and rude German tourists. At £55.00 per night it is actually quite expensive for what you get - I found a smashing B&B up the road that's only £35.00 per night and so I'll be staying there next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank John C

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My boyfriend is currently working in Nigg so we decided to book a hotel on the Black Isle to allow us to spend a night together. We were looking for a dog friendly hotel and the Strathpeffer offered us this for £90 at night.
Upon arrival I was directed towards the cottage.
It was disgusting, dated and dirty. This room has clearly not had a deep clean in a long time. The furniture in the room was very dated, the paint work in the bathroom was peeling off, there was a hole in the bathroom door. The beading along the floor was coming away and covered in dirt and grime. There were hairs everywhere in the room. The extractor fan in the bathroom was very noisy and filthy. I could have put up
With many of these things and would not have posted a review had they not changed us £90 for that room. An absolute rip off!!! I have stayed in many dog friendly hotels and this was an absolute joke for the amount that they charged.
On the plus side the staff were friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Kirnan
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed there for 4 days on a coach trip to the Highlands. The hotel was slightly old fashioned, but really welcoming and friendly. The choices for breakfast/evening meal were varied and the portions huge. I found the staff always eager to help and totally lovely.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Christine M
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Fabulous week in great company , staff excellent and service second to none. Room comfortable, Food top drawer. Great place to tour area. Looking for a quiet relaxing break this is the place to go no probs

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chris5211
Reviewed 12 June 2014

It's an old place and very quaint but it's brill. Staff are easily the friendliest I have met in a while. A wee old man was a bit lost in the lobby and one of the girls said come on and I'll take care of you. Rooms are very clean and brecky made to order. Good selection of food at night time and a pleasant bar or conservatory to sit in. I will deffo be back to this one.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank thewearytraveller85
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was absolutely delighted at the service and venue. The food provided was amazing with everyone who attended commented on how great a selection off food there was and the taste and quality was superb. I would defiantly recommend this hotel to any tourists or as a venue for a special occasion. Couldn't be more happier !

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Pauline0509
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Went to this village on a sunday evening hoping to dine at the red poppy restuarant only to find it closed for the day, however we noticed signs outside the Srathpeffer hotel advertising all day food ,so in we went to give it a try. First impressions you get when entering is a very old fashioned hotel but with some more modern upgrades in the bar area where bar food is served.
A very smartly dressed friendly young lady showed us to a table and took our food and drink order and told us the food is cooked from fresh to order and be prepared for aprox 20 min waiting time. The food arrived aprox 30 mins later but to be honest it was worth the wait ,due to the food was excellent in taste and presentation,so well done to the new chef and the young lady who served us. We cant comment on the rooms due to the fact we only stayed for lunch.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank boa186543
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Bay Highland Hotel
#1 of 2 in Contin
Achilty Hotel
Achilty Hotel
#2 of 2 in Contin
Craigmonie Hotel & Leisure Ltd.

Been to Strathpeffer Hotel? Share your experiences!