“Old style hospitality”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
Launceston, Australia
“Old style hospitality”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for four nights on a tour and enjoyed our time. The hotel is old style, but we found it to be clean and comfortable. The food was copious in quantity, tasty and served promptly. Service was friendly and the recently refurbished lounge area shows promise for the future of this grand old dame. The area is very beautiful.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Belinda111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Well, a long time has passed since I last stayed here and I was hoping for better. Sadly, most of what I felt in my last review still stands. The hotel is still very tired, although they have refurbished the bar area - if they could do the rest of the hotel to the same standard, it would be a different beast. My room this time was also no better, with another shaving light that didn't work, a sink with an annoying dripping tap in the bedroom because there wasn't room to fit it in the en suite, an uncomfortable bed, still no shower gel, and a shower that must be 25 - 30 years old. The latter had been stuck together with electrical tape to stop it from falling apart.

The cooked breakfast has, I am sorry to say, gone backwards. it does come out quickly, but therein lies part of the problem; they don't cook it fresh. They are cooking the elements of it and keeping it warm, which of course stews the bacon until it is hard, and overcooks the eggs. The portions are rubbish too, with one small egg, a couple of bits of bacon, one tiny (and I mean tiny!0 sausage, half a microwave'd tomato and half a slice of fried bread. There are also beans if you like them (I don't) but still no sign of black pudding.

Four things sum up this hotel for me. 1). I was woken up by a 'morning call', where the member of staff banged so loudly on next door's room that I thought they were calling me - at 6.30am; 2). I went to put pepper on my breakfast and I massive wage came out because the top of the pepper pot had been bashed-in and there was just one big hole; 3). The bizarre monkey statue that stands on the breakfast cereal table, and d). the constant coach loads of extremely grumpy and rude German tourists. At £55.00 per night it is actually quite expensive for what you get - I found a smashing B&B up the road that's only £35.00 per night and so I'll be staying there next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank John C

Travellers are raving about these Strathpeffer hotels

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My boyfriend is currently working in Nigg so we decided to book a hotel on the Black Isle to allow us to spend a night together. We were looking for a dog friendly hotel and the Strathpeffer offered us this for £90 at night.
Upon arrival I was directed towards the cottage.
It was disgusting, dated and dirty. This room has clearly not had a deep clean in a long time. The furniture in the room was very dated, the paint work in the bathroom was peeling off, there was a hole in the bathroom door. The beading along the floor was coming away and covered in dirt and grime. There were hairs everywhere in the room. The extractor fan in the bathroom was very noisy and filthy. I could have put up
With many of these things and would not have posted a review had they not changed us £90 for that room. An absolute rip off!!! I have stayed in many dog friendly hotels and this was an absolute joke for the amount that they charged.
On the plus side the staff were friendly.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Kirnan
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed there for 4 days on a coach trip to the Highlands. The hotel was slightly old fashioned, but really welcoming and friendly. The choices for breakfast/evening meal were varied and the portions huge. I found the staff always eager to help and totally lovely.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Christine M
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Fabulous week in great company , staff excellent and service second to none. Room comfortable, Food top drawer. Great place to tour area. Looking for a quiet relaxing break this is the place to go no probs

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chris5211
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

It's an old place and very quaint but it's brill. Staff are easily the friendliest I have met in a while. A wee old man was a bit lost in the lobby and one of the girls said come on and I'll take care of you. Rooms are very clean and brecky made to order. Good selection of food at night time and a pleasant bar or conservatory to sit in. I will deffo be back to this one.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank thewearytraveller85
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was absolutely delighted at the service and venue. The food provided was amazing with everyone who attended commented on how great a selection off food there was and the taste and quality was superb. I would defiantly recommend this hotel to any tourists or as a venue for a special occasion. Couldn't be more happier !

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Pauline0509
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Bay Highland Hotel
Kinkell House Hotel
Kinkell House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Dingwall
Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to Strathpeffer Hotel? Share your experiences!