“Sizzling reception”
Review of St Duthus Hotel

St Duthus Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tain
St Duthus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Tain
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This restaurant has a prominent position on the main street through Tain. In the evening the welcoming lighting in the windows attracted us to try their fare. We were not disappointed. We shared a combo platter for starters; mixed veggies in a tempura batter with a tomato based relish dip and salad. Just enough to whet our appetites for the sizzling tandoori chicken platter with basmati rice and curry sauce. Mmmh! Couldn't finish. We did our best but despite a lovely dry white wine to accompany we resigned to leaving some on the plate. The general ambiance of the place was very good with a mix of
Coal and visitors. The decor was loely on a black and white with red accents which was cozy and appealing. The main dining areas could be seperated off by heavy drapes if a party of 20 were booking it out. Rating was based on the dessert range. There was a lot of choice but we just fancied something light or tart to cleanse the palate. A chocolate lover would appreciate the selection.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jayemem

Reviewed 6 August 2012

What a lovely hotel and a home from home. the rooms where clean and comfortable and the service was excellent. The bar and restaurant really comfortable and friendly with a good menu for a reasonable price. The kids enjoyed the best steak pie and BBQ chicken ever and the haddock fish cakes are the best we've ever had! The first night was very quiet but sadly a couple of very drunk cyclists woke us all up at 1am slamming thier doors and talking loudly. The lovely breakfast and excellent coffee sorted us out in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2012

When traveling through Scotland a couple years ago, I was passing through tain about supper time. I found a Indian place to eat, but they were packed and didn't have any openings for over two hours. So, being ddiabetic and needing some food, I decided to look elsewhere. Afew blocks away, I ran across this small hotel near the railway and the parling lot was almost empty. Well, not seeing any place else, I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. I went inside and the first thing I noticed was the warmness! Not just the temperature, but the surroundings, everything. One of the staff came over anddirected me to a table and asked if I was there for supper.. It appeared I got there about 15 minutes nefore they started serving supper, but I could order, "Tea", or wait a few minutes for supper. After looking at the menu, I decided that supper looked great so I would wait. I also asked about a room for the night. This being my third trip to the UK, I knew about ensuite and such. I didn't really need a "loo" in my room so I took one of the small rooms there. Now, this was no 5 star hotel and for what I was paying, didn't expect that much. The room was a small double and was nice and warm. The tv was small and of course didn't have the 100 plus stations like at home, but that was fine with me. The beds were very comfortable and had no problems with any noise. I went back down for a very enjoyable supper, listen to the music for a bit and retired for the night. I had a great breakfast in the morning and was on my way. This was on a Friday night. Sat, I took off and enjoyed northern Scotland, andon Suinday came back through Tain and stopped again at the St Duthus as they had said they would be having a Sunday roast. I have been told that after my trips to the uK there is a lamb shortage for 3 months, and the roasted lamb that the ST serves is a good reason why. Tender and juicy, just melts in your mouth along with an ample supply of roasted root veggies. I couldn't eat all that was brought to me. I stayed a second night and left the next day. Would I stay there again, You bet I would. The staff is great and the owner is nice and helpful!

Robert Eagle, Coos Bay Oregon

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert E
Reviewed 5 July 2012

The guest house proprietor told us to go to the Royal Hotel and to avoid St Duthus which was a bit loud and not recommended. We went to the Royal which was dull and stuffy and we were turned away even though several tables were empty. So we tried St Duthus which was quite well filled but the staff welcomed us and showed us to a table in a bright clean dining room. The witresses were interested in their work, talked freely and took our orders. We were served with excellent meals without undue delay and two waitresses came back at intervals to ask if we wanted anything else. We asked some questions about the local area which they answered patiently. St Duthus is easy to recommend to anyone going to, or through, Ross & Cromarty.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BrianArmagh
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Booked an overnight as myself and two friends attending a wedding at the Carnigie Hall, in Clashmore. We were warmly greeted by the manageress and shown to our very comfy rooms. After settling in, we had a light delicious meal in the bar and the service along with the food was great. All in all an excellent place to stay if your visiting this beautiful region.

Room Tip: Book Room 2 as it has an ensuite, friends had to use the communal bathroom
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We were on our way to Falls of Shin, looking for somewhere to eat, and we decided to go in Tain to look for a place to eat, when we saw this restaurant (we did not stay at the hotel). We did not have high expectations, but we were very very surprised when we started our meal, what a great restaurant. The food was really very very good, the deserts were incredible! The waiters are very friendly and warming, but also very profissional. It was a very good surprise and is tottaly worth the visit. If you are going to visit Falls of Shin and Rogie falls, have lunch here and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoaoTRM
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We are local and visit every couple of months for lunch - so haven't stayed in the hotel. Thought it was about time we left a review.

It never changes, the staff are friendly, the menu is simple but good choices, and we've never had a bad meal. Best described as a "down to earth place" which is ideal when there's no special occasion involved, and the small bar adjoining is also comfortable to sit in and have a drink or two. This is not a criticism in any way, just an appreciation of somewhere that offers a real welcome.

Recently we thought we'd try the Royal Hotel for lunch, a few yards up the way, as heard it had a first class chef and we had not been there for a while. It was OK, nothing more, and quite expensive in comparison to The Saint.

Have also been in the public bar with visiting friends who had a dog (which was allowed in with no fuss). A thoroughly nice experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends