“Overnight stay”

Ranked #10 of 17 Tain B&B and Inns
Kirkcaldy
“Overnight stay”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We booked a twin room at the Fearn Hotel as a stop-over on our way to Orkney and arrived early afternoon. Our room was very clean and bright with all the usual amenities. I don't think the owners would be offended if I said that few people use the Fearn Hotel as a final destination but it was excellent for our purpose, namely an overnight stay.
Having said that, we took the opportunity to visit the Tarbat Ness Lighthouse and also the picturesque village of Portmahomack before returning to Fearn and wandering round the nearby abbey. We had dinner in the early evening and both of us were delighted with the quality of the food. My wife (who is a stickler for such things) assures me that the vegetables were all fresh and beautifully cooked!
The beds were very comfortable and we slept well. Breakfast was also very satisfying and made an excellent start to the final leg of our trip north.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
North Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Fearn hotel is off the beaten track, but the owners and staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room we were given was clean and newly decorated with nice white linen on the beds. We had booked for dinner bed and breakfast and this was excellent value for money at £99 for two. Our evening meals were very nice and we enjoyed the nice view across the open countryside from our window seat. Breakfast in the morning was excellent with various options including a full cooked Scottish breakfast which was cooked freshly for us

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Fabulous 2 night stay at Fearn Hotel. Denise and Graeme instantly make you feel at home. Headed of to Altnaharra the next morning to bag 2 Munros after a 7am cooked breakfast. Arrived back late at 7.45pm and worried we might be too late for dinner but no problems here as they were happy to let us have dinner at 8pm. Very accommodating and make you feel very relaxed. Another super breakfast before heading home the next morning. Would recommend this place to anyone looking for a relaxing no pressure break. Thanks also to their gorgeous friendly dogs.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Warm and welcoming. Comfortable bed and great shower. A quiet hotel with lovely panoramic views of the surrounding countryside from the dining room. Enjoyed our delicious breakfast - freshly homecooked and plentiful. The hotel was easy to find and close to Tain, a very attractive wee town.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Only stayed here for one night but we received a very warm reception an excellent nights sleep an an equally excellent breakfast. As another reviewer says, not the height of luxury but clean and comfortable with ensuite room. Dining room and bar are fresh and modern and there is a games room.Tthe surrounding area is well worth exploring if you have the time. Quiet county roads will take you to the equally quiet Seaboard Villages of Hilton Balintore and Shandwick with their beautiful sea views and fantastic sunrises over the Moray Firth. Look out for the Pictish standing stones and the ferry to Cromarty for a pleasant morning or afternoon excursion

Room Tip: Cant really help here but our double ensuite was room number 2
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ORKNEY
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Found the Hotel when a golf tournament made it impossible to obtain reasonably priced accommodation near Inverness. Set in quiet rolling countryside the owners make you feel at home on arrival. The road outside gets a bit busy from 6 to 8 am due to traffic to and from Nigg, but we didn't find it particularly intrusive. The No 1 rule for a stay in any Hotel is a good bed to sleep in and The Fearn certainly wont let you down in this respect.

We had dinner in the Hotel both nights we were there, found the food to be excellent and of a good variety. Everything a good country Pub and Hotel should be, quiet and peaceful.

I would have no hesitation recommending the Hotel and we will stay there again. You have to drive half an hour back towards Inverness to shop, but it's a small inconvenience.

Room Tip: Room 1 had plenty of storage space. Farmhouse white walls and pine furniture. Parked the car beneath...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The Fearn Hotel was my last overnight stop before the final leg of my cycle ride from Lands End to John O'Groats.
Whilst it was slightly off my direct route I liked the description of it on their website. It was nonetheless easy to find and is well situated with a great view of the surrounding countryside.
Graeme the proprietor greeted me by name as soon as I arrived and immediately addressed my concerns about the security of my bike by storing it in his lock up.
I had booked a single room and was allocated one at the rear of the hotel .This was clean, and comfortable with an ensuite bathroom and hot drink making facilities. Not the height of luxury, but well suited to my needs.
As I was tired and hungry I made my way to the restaurant immediately after showering and changing. The dining room is light and airy and overlooks the livestock farm across a narrow road. (This provided a very engaging backdrop during the meal, watching the interplay between calves and sheep sharing the same pasture!) I wasn't sure what to expect of the food as I was prepared for the usual sort of hearty pub fare without anything exceptional. In fact, after an excellent, warming soup I was served venison casserole with boiled potatoes and a good selection of veg. This was the most memorable meal that I enjoyed during my 11 day journey. Very, tasty very wholesome and in a generous portion. The chocolate dessert was similarly generous and delicious. The restaurant service was excellent . Accompanied by a couple of pints of Guinness served at a proper temperature, this was a very satisfying experience and well worth the 4 mile diversion from my Northern route.
I spent a comfortable night and I was particularly grateful that the hotel were prepared to give me an excellent full breakfast at 7.00AM, assisting my need to get under way promptly for the last 95 miles of my journey.
Graeme and Denise bid me a safe journey and I was left with the memory of a very pleasant night in a lovely location, with some very nice people.

Room Tip: Hard to say, as I only saw the single room which was perfectly good but basic compared to some. (I w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tain
Morangie House Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dornoch
The Eagle Hotel
The Eagle Hotel
#4 of 6 in Dornoch

Been to Fearn Hotel? Share your experiences!