“A few romantic nights away - Excellent”

Morangie House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tain
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Absolutely superb, this has to be one of my favourite hotels. I think when you find "Elizabeth" (as in the Queen Mum) signature across the entire page of an old visitors book it says it all. The rooms are extremely well appointed, everyone is very friendly and the staff go out of their way to cater for all demands. I can throroughly advise on the local Moules from Loch Dornoch - excellent , you can taste the sea and peaty/nut flavour. (Went down to watch them being hauled in). Wonderful food,Very relaxing and not being a golfer it is good to have a distillery on hand - the hotel bar does in deed stock a very catholic collection of fine malts. Tain itself has a history of silver smithing and worth looking into for any modern or antique collector. This certainly does it for me (we went to Skibo Castle and found it full of stuffed shirts) = their is no local competition to the standards demanded of this seemingly family run hotel. Well done.

Room Tip: They are all superb it just depends on the size you want.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 October 2012

As a group, we recently had the pleasure of staying at this hotel. Rooms are spacious and very comfortable. As we had an early start, breakfast was bacon and eggs or continental only if required at 7 am.....but due to their wonderful hospitality they went that extra mile and served us full breakfast which was greatly appreciated. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank HOLBREAK
Reviewed 7 September 2012

The staff are friendly, the price is ok, the food is good and the surroundings and decorations shout tartan Victoriana - but that probably works for the plaid-wearing golfers and holiday-travellers who are the main clientele for this place.

Having said that, the place was empty - which suits me, I like peace and quiet - but for some inexplicable reason, we got a room (in an empty hotel) next to the receptionist who snored like a chainsaw all night long. Oh dear, and there wasn't even someone who could help us change room - because he was asleep and snoring.

This was unfortunate and unlikely to happen again.
The room is great value for the money and I would stay here again any time.

Room Tip: bring ear-plugs
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank eezee-to-pleeze
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Following a long and tiring drive from the south of England, we stayed here in room 22 after changing our minds on a more ambitious destination. On booking with 2 hours notice, we were offered a nice discount on a huge room, which had kingsize bed, flatscreen tv, free wi-fi, bath, two windows and was nicely finished off in the traditional style of the hotel. The only improvement I would suggest is a more powerful shower. It was a real gem of a hotel with excellent service and food and a really welcoming ambience especially good for weary travellers. The use of local products was excellent - particularly haggis for breakfast (not obbligatory). Bar and dining areas as well as our room were really comfy. Would recommend this as a great place to stay for all age-groups and will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This is a very nice hotel with the best room we have had for a long time large and well decorated with two very comfortable chairs.(tiles in bthroom not as clean as i would like but that is very often the case).The bed was large and very comfortable we slept well breakfast was ok perhaps lacked choice .
The meal we had in the restaurant was not very exciting but good service.
We will add this hotel to our small list of places we would like to come back to.

A word of warning we e-mailed to ask for availabilty and where given a price when we phoned the next day we were quoted a higher price glad to say we were then charged the first price!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I only stayed one night in this hotel but I have added it to the list of places to stay when I am next in the area on business or pleasure. I was particularly impressed by the decor and comfort of my room. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. The hotel does back on to the A9 but there was little road noise after early evening and I was able to sleep with a window open. The friendliness of the staff was carried through from reception to the restaurant and the quality of the food was high.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Enjoyed Sunday lunch at the carvery again for my birthday in July. As usual the choice of starters was great with excellent cold cuts and melon and fantastic smoked salmon. The meat from the carvery is always good although this time the beef, albeit tasty, was a bit on the dry side and a little overcooked for me.....but the carver gave me plenty of it (some of which made it home to Truffle the JRX..!) Really nicely cooked veggies with a bite in them.....the dessert cascade always makes it hard to choose......one of the best creme caramels ever...but the trifle is always good, the cheesecake divine - too much choice. My friend was too full to have desert after his plateful of roast Gammon and pork.....all in all delicious...!! I do agree that the staff are a little 'off' the ball at times but the food is always good! We have eaten there on a Sunday evening too and the roast belly pork was fantastic!

Room Tip: didn't stay so have not rated rooms........
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tain
Mansfield Castle Hotel
#6 of 6 in Dornoch
Newton Muthu Hotel
Newton Muthu Hotel
#2 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Morangie House Hotel? Share your experiences!